Losing control when sparring (beginner)

Hey man, this is actually super common for beginners and other people who are inexperienced because they don't really use the technique they learn rather just brute force.. A lot of times, sparring accidents happen from beginners because they have no self-control either, I would never expect anything good out of two inexperienced people sparring unless there are set guidelines like 10% power, however that's still not always bulletproof.

I actually read an article on this: https://themmaguru.com/beginner-sparring-muay-thai/
Kind of gives you the know it all about beginners sparring in Muay Thai and other martial arts, tells you what to expect and how to be a good partner yourself..

Almost everyone starts off like this including me , it’s normal it’s just an ego thing where you wanna like win sort of you know , especially if you love to fight like me. But over time you will learn the secrets.

Experience has nothing to do with freaking out. Bottom line bad shit happens when you lose control.

Get your shit together.

With that being said things happen no body got seriously hurt relax move on and be better.

The first step to avoid situations of emotional unrest is to identify the triggers that trigger this process.

From the identification of what triggers the lack of control, it is easier to keep distance and even treat the root of the problem, be it with therapy, meditation or clinical hypnosis.

Where is the coach? Sparring should always be approved, and monitored---especially for beginners.

rookie thing, it happens because of counters. Guy A punches, guy B spazzes and walks into a strike and feels the burn of the counter, so in his head he thinks guy A is throwing more than the "allocated" 30-50% power and starts bombing, guy A now feels WTF and repeats in fashion and you have a gym war

sounds long, but this happens in the span of 10 seconds

Where is the coach? Sparring should always be approved, and monitored---especially for beginners.
man some coaches are shit at what they do and lazy so they let people bang, then it leaves a message to the gym and at the end your gym ends up being a gym war gym where everyone and their grandma's getting brain dead

its actually better for beginner and at least intermediate students to practice with each other, otherwise bad stuff happens from spazziness.

rookie thing, it happens because of counters. Guy A punches, guy B spazzes and walks into a strike and feels the burn of the counter, so in his head he thinks guy A is throwing more than the "allocated" 30-50% power and starts bombing, guy A now feels WTF and repeats in fashion and you have a gym war

sounds long, but this happens in the span of 10 seconds

man some coaches are shit at what they do and lazy so they let people bang, then it leaves a message to the gym and at the end your gym ends up being a gym war gym where everyone and their grandma's getting brain dead

its actually better for beginner and at least intermediate students to practice with each other, otherwise bad stuff happens from spazziness.

Haha. I can't argue with that. Many days a gym will be empty of coaches (a lot are volunteers with jobs), and the club manager will be there who is usually too busy doing admin to know a guy is getting beat on like a highlight reel. At that point you look at the fighters, but who wants to be the odd guy out the group? Most guys are like "if he dies, he dies" or think that getting a beating makes you better. I disagree, you still have to be able to work, otherwise your training your body, and brain to be a punching bag. Science shows what that does to a person.

The only thing I will say is that sometimes it can be just as bad going with intermediate or advance guys if they lack the maturity, or can't control stroking their own egos by showcasing the best of themselves against a guy who is clearly outmatched. I'm no name dropper, but I've literally seen a guy who won the Regional Championships, qualified and fought at Nationals, and is currently ranked I think top 10 in the country with every intention of going pro tell a new guy to the gym that he just started too. Asked him had he ever sparred before, and said he should get in the ring. The whole gym stopped working on whatever bag or drill they were on, and looked amazed how big of a lie that was.
^^Sorry this was such a lengthy response. I've seen a lot that I think is wrong with sparring. lol

It should also be noted that any guy, esp. a beginner who brings his girl or wife to watch will transform into a werewolf on the mats. He could be the nicest guy on the planet, but soon as the misses is in the vicinity, he goes hulk mode. She might not even be watching, no scratch that, she's probably not even watching, probably bored out of her mind and looking at ugly overpriced dresses on Pinterest while dumbshit over there thinks its UFC with his life's rival

Haha. I can't argue with that. Many days a gym will be empty of coaches (a lot are volunteers with jobs), and the club manager will be there who is usually too busy doing admin to know a guy is getting beat on like a highlight reel. At that point you look at the fighters, but who wants to be the odd guy out the group? Most guys are like "if he dies, he dies" or think that getting a beating makes you better. I disagree, you still have to be able to work, otherwise your training your body, and brain to be a punching bag. Science shows what that does to a person.

The only thing I will say is that sometimes it can be just as bad going with intermediate or advance guys if they lack the maturity, or can't control stroking their own egos by showcasing the best of themselves against a guy who is clearly outmatched. I'm no name dropper, but I've literally seen a guy who won the Regional Championships, qualified and fought at Nationals, and is currently ranked I think top 10 in the country with every intention of going pro tell a new guy to the gym that he just started too. Asked him had he ever sparred before, and said he should get in the ring. The whole gym stopped working on whatever bag or drill they were on, and looked amazed how big of a lie that was.
^^Sorry this was such a lengthy response. I've seen a lot that I think is wrong with sparring. lol
Sounds like he did it for kicks, reminds me of when I started BJJ the guy said "GO easy, I'm new to this", it was a no-gi gym, and later I found out he was a purple that had years of wrestling in highschool....

It should also be noted that any guy, esp. a beginner who brings his girl or wife to watch will transform into a werewolf on the mats. He could be the nicest guy on the planet, but soon as the misses is in the vicinity, he goes hulk mode. She might not even be watching, no scratch that, she's probably not even watching, probably bored out of her mind and looking at ugly overpriced dresses on Pinterest while dumbshit over there thinks its UFC with his life's rival

Sounds like he did it for kicks, reminds me of when I started BJJ the guy said "GO easy, I'm new to this", it was a no-gi gym, and later I found out he was a purple that had years of wrestling in highschool....

Smh wow. It happens all the time. lol that kind of thing I think makes me lose a bit of respect for people. Don't sandbag, then show out. lol I think as a courtesy you should come to some type of understanding with your training partners. Sparring is meant to work on your game. You can have hard sparring but make sure everyone knows what they're getting into, before their central nervous system gets rudely awakened processing what they just got hit with. If you're way better than your training partner, work on your weaknesses don't hook and jab your strengths down their throat. lol

Fake it till you make it. You are the coolest guy. You are like Spock in the ring. Nothing upsets you. Now breath.

Lucky your buddy was nice. I sure wouldn't take that. You have no business training.

I feel terrible and am wondering (hoping) this is just inexperience and I'll soon learn to control my emotions. As a note my life outside of training is pretty great right now, so it's hopefully just my reaction to getting hit that needs practice.
It takes time getting used to being hit, definitely more than 4 sparring sessions. You reacted like a normal human being. Trained fighters are not "normal" human beings, they have learned to override the brain's natural reaction to either get the hell out of danger, or strike like a cornered animal. It's a gradual process, but eventually you'll be able to keep a cool head. Getting hit is absolutely unavoidable. Don't sweat the small stuff / hits you take, just work on your game and avoid the lights-out type of punches/kicks.

Back