Lost a computer file... help! EDIT FILE RECOVEREd

You should start working on a new one. If you save your data often this won't happen. Better yet enable the auto save feature in PowerPoint in the future and it will save your work every few minutes

. Do you have iolo System Mechanic? May want to download and try that.

. I would shut everything down and re-start the computer. What does your file or folder say under 'properties'? If it is 0 (zero) than unfortunately it did not save and you lost it. How long has it been since you defraged the hard drive?

. You can also try 'system restore' to an earlier date if you have that option. Not sure if it would work for under 12 hours.

. Google the Microsoft 1-800 number for 24/7 assistance. Talk to one of their technicians. They can go into your system, for a fee, and see what they can find. I needed their assistance once in getting rid of a virus and they were very helpful.

System restore doesn’t restore any user files to their previous state. It’s only software and the OS that is restored.

System restore doesn’t restore any user files to their previous state. It’s only software and the OS that is restored.

That is a good point. I thought maybe it would bring up a lost file under a different or saved name. Makes sense. When you change the computer/Windows settings to the factory configuration, it maintains personal files. Letting a Microsoft technician into his system would be the best option in my opinion. They do it remotely through your phone number.

That is a good point. I thought maybe it would bring up a lost file under a different or saved name. Makes sense. When you change the computer/Windows settings to the factory configuration, it maintains personal files. Letting a Microsoft technician into his system would be the best option in my opinion. They do it remotely through your phone number.

Unless he gets the issue escalated to an engineer who can do some forensic work, he’s shit out of luck.

press: UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, B, A, START

CKHuSYm.png

look for a tmp file with the most recent modified date

If you’re using Windows, click the start button and type the name of the file in, executing a search for it. Leave the file extension off the search because it may have saved it as some kind of temporary file with a different extension. If the file comes up in the search results, right click the file name and select open containing folder or something like that to see where it is. If it’s saved as some kind of temp file, google how you change that file into a ppt file.

Also, check your recycle bin if that doesn’t work. If neither works and you can’t find the file by searching in windows explorer, you’re fucked.

listen to @Jack Reacheround , the temp file might be in one if your temp folders.
I tried. No temp file.
So, were you able to recover the file? Did you call Microsoft for help?
Didn’t call. Will prob start over

You should start working on a new one. If you save your data often this won't happen. Better yet enable the auto save feature in PowerPoint in the future and it will save your work every few minutes

The issue wasn’t saving it. I save it every sentence I type. I had saved it previously. In the process of the laptop resetting it somehow got lost or deleted

Look pal, you're just going to have to go again. We all go through it at least once in our life.

See it as a character building exercise.

Since you can't find the tmp file (it might not exist) and seeing as you only have 3 hours invested in the document, your best bet is to start over. You can probably rewrite your stuff in under an hour.

If this was a document you had been working on for weeks, it might be worth undertaking other measures to recover the file. This would require finding, installing and using a utility program that reads the OS File Allocation Table and finds where on the hard drive your previous document was saved and then recovers the file.

Norton use to make a suite of utilities/tools that contained a program that allowed you to do this, I am sure there are dozens of reputable software developers/vendors to pick from today.

I tried. No temp file.

Didn’t call. Will prob start over

The issue wasn’t saving it. I save it every sentence I type. I had saved it previously. In the process of the laptop resetting it somehow got lost or deleted

That doesn’t make sense. If you were saving it all along, it would have been written to the hard disk at some point in which case a hard boot wouldn’t purge it.

Remove the HDD, place it under a microscope and search for fragments of the file content.
Once you have gathered enough fragments, cut the HDD into pieces, rearrange it and put it back into your pc.

Naturally if youre working on a SSD this method wont work and youre screwed.
giphy.gif

That doesn’t make sense. If you were saving it all along, it would have been written to the hard disk at some point in which case a hard boot wouldn’t purge it.
This is why I’m so frustrated. I can see the file name when open ppt. If I click it says cant find file. If I look in the folder where I saved it - it’s not there’

This is why I’m so frustrated. I can see the file name when open ppt. If I click it says cant find file. If I look in the folder where I saved it - it’s not there’

You know, it sounds like it is somewhere but whatever points PowerPoint to that file just doesn’t have the right location. Either way, it was 3 hours of work. You’ve already spent like 12 hours looking for it. Just do it over. This will allow you to improve it as well.

Back