Lots of livestock has been lost due to Florence

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/h...ckens-in-north-carolina/ar-BBNuH2A?li=BBnb7Kz

Most of the chickens are housed with subcontractors, that have exclusive deals with larger companies like Sanderson, or Tyson. Hurricanes are not new to the Carolinas. You think these farmers learn and build there facilities to be more flood, hurricane resistant. Yes, it can be expensive, but you are contracting with Sanderson, Tyson, etc, etc. At least make the big boys help you.

If those chickens are expendable, then we need better laws to protect them. Poor chickens

<{1-11}> <{1-11}> <{1-11}>

Quote from article:

“I am also pleased that our assets were not significantly damaged by the hurricane,” Sanderson added. “While the storm’s impact on our live inventories and live production process will have an impact on the company’s capacity and volume over the next two months, none of the losses sustained will be long term.”

LOLZ it seems like the big boys dont care about the chickens

But it seems their subcontractors will be hurting

Quote from article:

"As journalist Maryn McKenna noted, however, the farmers whose chickens were killed in the storm will likely struggle in Florence’s aftermath. The farms impacted were all independent businesses contracted to Sanderson Farms and it’s unclear what sort of losses they will sustain as a result of the mass chicken deaths. Sanderson Farms has not responded to HuffPost’s requests for comment."

Wil somebody please think of the chickens.

In all seriousness though, I bet Donald trump cares more about the chickens than he does the Puerto Ricans.

1)Looks like the chickens are coming to heaven to Roost...

2) Man, that is some Fowl shit.

3) This pisses me off....this really ruffles my feathers.

Wil somebody please think of the chickens.

In all seriousness though, I bet Donald trump cares more about the chickens than he does the Puerto Ricans.

well, in all fairness, Puerto Ricans are cans. and Fried Chicken is awesome.

(hopefully none of the mods are Puerto Rican)

I'm sure lots of animals have lost heir lives due to Florence.

RIP to them all.

I just want to know if any new deep sea creatures washed up...

This was mostly due to flooding...how do you build a facility that is capable of standing up to 10+ foot storm surges? Lots of these places are in non-flood zones but still flooded because of a hurricane that had some very abnormal circumstances. The small farmers here in the Carolinas are already in trouble because of pansy ass pussies suing them because they don't like the smell of hog farms that were there before them.

Something like Hurricane Florence hits the Carolinas about once every 25-50 years. Do you really expect that small farms have the money to build facilities which are going to be able to wither these abnormal storms? I can't even imagine the cost of building an entire chicken farm on stilts...how the fuck would that even work?

I cook BBQ for a living out here in North Carolina and am hoping that the cost of meat doesn't rise too much..even in the short term. We've still got tons of places that are inaccessible and people are going to be without power for quite a while longer.

This was mostly due to flooding...how do you build a facility that is capable of standing up to 10+ foot storm surges? Lots of these places are in non-flood zones but still flooded because of a hurricane that had some very abnormal circumstances. The small farmers here in the Carolinas are already in trouble because of pansy ass pussies suing them because they don't like the smell of hog farms that were there before them.

Something like Hurricane Florence hits the Carolinas about once every 25-50 years. Do you really expect that small farms have the money to build facilities which are going to be able to wither these abnormal storms? I can't even imagine the cost of building an entire chicken farm on stilts...how the fuck would that even work?

I cook BBQ for a living out here in North Carolina and am hoping that the cost of meat doesn't rise too much..even in the short term. We've still got tons of places that are inaccessible and people are going to be without power for quite a while longer.

Small independent farmers probably cannot afford to safeguard. But I am thinking subcontractors for companies like Sanderson, Tyson etc, etc, should be able to, or at least be required by those larger companies. From what I understand about the relationship between the subcontractors, and the larger companies, is the big brands actually own the chickens, the eggs, the newborn chicklets, and even supply the feed. The subcontractors are just baby sitters. I made a thread about this a few years back, and how some subcontractors dont like this.

If lets say, you construct the actual housing above ground. The ground level is for parking, loading dock, storage, utility rooms etc, etc. In the northeast, I have seen commercial retail spaces, and residential built in this fashion. The profit margins up here are very tight too. Carolina has cheaper land.

How high can the water level get during the flooding? Will it get so high that even say something like a commercial warehouse can literally be completely submerged?

I have seen some of the chicken coops, and they are essentially very long sheds. I dont even think they have foundation, and flooring. Seems it just covers the ground. I guess that is cheapest way. But I assume the Carolinas will get hit with pretty big storms during hurricane season even if it does not get hit directly, and some flooding will occur regardless every year.

The poor little Puerto Ricans. :( Those are our citizens!

That's shitty, man. Hang in there.

“While the storm’s impact on our live inventories and live production process will have an impact on the company’s capacity and volume over the next two months, none of the losses sustained will be long term.”

Not sure what you're upset about here. Of course the equipment of chicken farming is more valuable than the birds themselves, and the ability to keep going is what matters to both the big business and the farmers. If the infrastructure is in place, they write off the loss of the livestock, take the hit, buy more chicks and raise them and sell again and get back to it

the first thing that came to mind was a bunch of chickens standing on the roof of houses waiting to be rescued. Im going to hell arent i.....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/h...ckens-in-north-carolina/ar-BBNuH2A?li=BBnb7Kz

Most of the chickens are housed with subcontractors, that have exclusive deals with larger companies like Sanderson, or Tyson. Hurricanes are not new to the Carolinas. You think these farmers learn and build there facilities to be more flood, hurricane resistant. Yes, it can be expensive, but you are contracting with Sanderson, Tyson, etc, etc. At least make the big boys help you.

If those chickens are expendable, then we need better laws to protect them. Poor chickens

<{1-11}> <{1-11}> <{1-11}>

Quote from article:

“I am also pleased that our assets were not significantly damaged by the hurricane,” Sanderson added. “While the storm’s impact on our live inventories and live production process will have an impact on the company’s capacity and volume over the next two months, none of the losses sustained will be long term.”

LOLZ it seems like the big boys dont care about the chickens

But it seems their subcontractors will be hurting

Quote from article:

"As journalist Maryn McKenna noted, however, the farmers whose chickens were killed in the storm will likely struggle in Florence’s aftermath. The farms impacted were all independent businesses contracted to Sanderson Farms and it’s unclear what sort of losses they will sustain as a result of the mass chicken deaths. Sanderson Farms has not responded to HuffPost’s requests for comment."
Thank goodness there’s no real chicken in Chicken McNuggets! I can eat those things by the pallet!

Could have moved the chickens by truck to another location, but than again, too much money to be spent in the process. I'm sure these folks did an analysis of the loss vs. gain and figured out that letting the chickens die (drawn) would be the cheapest way to go. Others had horses, cows, pigs, and chickens moved to safer locations. Sell the dead chickens to the Chinese, they will eat them. No FDA requirements there.

So, the death toll of people for the NC hurricane is so low, and not worth blaming on Trump, they're making the deaths of CHICKENS to fill the headlines.

Wow. That's pathetic.

So, the death toll of people for the NC hurricane is so low, and not worth blaming on Trump, they're making the deaths of CHICKENS to fill the headlines.

Wow. That's pathetic.

Thank Trump the death toll was so low. Killary would have been shooting people in the streets!

Thank Trump the death toll was so low. Killary would have been shooting people in the streets!

Yes, blaming the president for natural disasters is perfectly reasonable, when its a Republican.

Back