Lots of livestock has been lost due to Florence

Being 100% honest, livestock evacuation is part of our emergency preparedness plan at my house. Granted we are very small scale.

These farmers will probably be begging Trump to extend some of his $50 billion farmer welfare to them.

Not sure what you're upset about here. Of course the equipment of chicken farming is more valuable than the birds themselves, and the ability to keep going is what matters to both the big business and the farmers. If the infrastructure is in place, they write off the loss of the livestock, take the hit, buy more chicks and raise them and sell again and get back to it

The thought of these chickens drowning is horrible. And the article also states how many chickens are alive and without food. I wonder if these chickens will resort of cannibalism. That is horrible too.

The thought of these chickens drowning is horrible. And the article also states how many chickens are alive and without food. I wonder if these chickens will resort of cannibalism. That is horrible too.
They will 100% resort to cannibalism. Chickens are ruthless. I've lost more Chickens to other Chickens than I have to predators.

Uh, they are chickens. They are product. They are insured as stock. I doubt this hurts anyone too badly.
Might get all of us at the market for a temporary bump in chicken prices, but I doubt it. Only a few.
Last I remember reading, I think 20M chickens a day were processed in the US. Something along those lines. And it's been a while, might be higher.

TBH the lives and deaths of Chicken’s involve a lot worse than drowning. Just own your part in this system and move on with your life. Also, chickens are horrid creatures for whom cannibalism is not even a remote concern.

They will 100% resort to cannibalism. Chickens are ruthless. I've lost more Chickens to other Chickens than I have to predators.

so sad

<{1-11}> <{1-11}> <{1-11}>

Uh, they are chickens. They are product. They are insured as stock. I doubt this hurts anyone too badly.
Might get all of us at the market for a temporary bump in chicken prices, but I doubt it. Only a few.
Last I remember reading, I think 20M chickens a day were processed in the US. Something along those lines. And it's been a while, might be higher.

I am thinking about and concerned more for the poor chickens

TBH the lives and deaths of Chicken’s involve a lot worse than drowning. Just own your part in this system and move on with your life. Also, chickens are horrid creatures for whom cannibalism is not even a remote concern.

It is not all bad. Perdue Chickens offers cage free, anti-biotic free, humane raised chickens. There are several companies out that do too.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/h...ckens-in-north-carolina/ar-BBNuH2A?li=BBnb7Kz

Most of the chickens are housed with subcontractors, that have exclusive deals with larger companies like Sanderson, or Tyson. Hurricanes are not new to the Carolinas. You think these farmers learn and build there facilities to be more flood, hurricane resistant. Yes, it can be expensive, but you are contracting with Sanderson, Tyson, etc, etc. At least make the big boys help you.

If those chickens are expendable, then we need better laws to protect them. Poor chickens

<{1-11}> <{1-11}> <{1-11}>

Quote from article:

“I am also pleased that our assets were not significantly damaged by the hurricane,” Sanderson added. “While the storm’s impact on our live inventories and live production process will have an impact on the company’s capacity and volume over the next two months, none of the losses sustained will be long term.”

LOLZ it seems like the big boys dont care about the chickens

But it seems their subcontractors will be hurting

Quote from article:

"As journalist Maryn McKenna noted, however, the farmers whose chickens were killed in the storm will likely struggle in Florence’s aftermath. The farms impacted were all independent businesses contracted to Sanderson Farms and it’s unclear what sort of losses they will sustain as a result of the mass chicken deaths. Sanderson Farms has not responded to HuffPost’s requests for comment."
From what I've read the subcontractors have very little freedom in terms of how they run things. The construction of the buildings, their work schedules, when and what to feed the chickens and much more is meticulously detailed in the contract to the point that calling them "independent" contractors is a joke. In practice they're virtually employees of these companies except even worse because they take on all the liability of owning the land. There's likely nothing they could've done without violating their contract.

Wil somebody please think of the chickens.

In all seriousness though, I bet Donald trump cares more about the chickens than he does the Puerto Ricans.
We will probably never know for sure unless we see Donald throw paper towels at them.

Expect chicken prices to go up quite a bit. Lots of chickens died due to flooding.

The idea of chickens drowning saddens me. Unless it's in a buffalo butter BBQ sauce. Yum

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back