Louis Gossett Jr Dead At 87

I love that movie, I hate remakes for the most part , but if done right a remake of this could be good
I refused to watch that movie for the longest time because I thought it looked so stupid. But it was really good. Even my wife likes it. It’s one of the better boxing movies out there.
Except when that guy gets in the ring with jeans on. Idk what that’s all about .

Apparently, at least according to the old people in my family, our family used to "own" his family. A lot of slave families took their surnames from their owners. I never researched to verify other than knowing my mom's (Gossett) side of the family owned slaves and Gossett Jr's family were former slaves

Probably should have kept that to myself.

RIP sir, enjoyed your work

Good actor. A solid career with at least a couple of iconic roles.

RIP, condolences to his family.

i forgot "the powers of matthew star": that was the role that made him a familiar face to me when i was a kid...

Gere would've won if he went for some ground and pound. Gossett kicked Gere in the nuts for the win.

They both had chances to ground and pound but were fighting gentlemen rules and keeping it standing. Until Gere starts going for a Pride rules axe kick to a grounded opponent and Gossett finishes him.

Everything about the fight was consistent with their characters. At that point in the movie they've both had enough of each other's shit but Gossett is keeping it professional and by the rules until hothead Gere finally gets him to crack. Then when they fight, Gere attacks first and draws blood first (because he's the instigator). Then the attacks and trashtalk escalate until Gere is about to win via cheap shot to a downed opponent. But then Gossett shows him why you don't fuck with a crafty NCO who can roll around in the mud if you make him.

Back