Louis Smolka no longer in the UFC.

That is one ugly ass looking poster, esp in 2018.

Tough run Louis, wish him the best.

He was terrible
He really wasn't. He had the superkick KO and the Ben Nguyen KO, as well as great fights against Paddy Holohan and Tim Elliott. He showed a lot of skill and was an entertaining guy to have on the roster, but he unfortunately hit a wall once he tried entering the top 10.

I vaguely remember seeing some backstage footage — maybe from a Thrill and Agony? —where he was incredibly distraught over a loss and wracked with self-doubt, and thinking "this is a man not long for the UFC."

That was from the bout vs. Brandon Moreno.

I wouldn't look to into a fighter being distraught backstage though. Tons of fighters are like that including Anderson Silva. These fights mean a lot to them.

That was from the bout vs. Brandon Moreno.

I wouldn't look to into a fighter being distraught backstage though. Tons of fighters are like that including Anderson Silva. These fights mean a lot to them.

Distraught I understand. It was the wracked with self-doubt bit that struck me. I can't remember the clip well enough to quote or even be sure my impression is accurate, but he seemed to express a "what the fuck am I even doing here!" attitude that definitely wasn't standard procedure.

Distraught I understand. It was the wracked with self-doubt bit that struck me. I can't remember the clip well enough to quote or even be sure my impression is accurate, but he seemed to express a "what the fuck am I even doing here!" attitude that definitely wasn't standard procedure.
Yeah I have no idea why I can't find that video either. I remember it a little differently but nonetheless it was pretty powerful stuff.

Started well, but went to shit. It became clear that his main skill was 'being big' for 125lbs.

A lotta guys feel like that after a loss. Especially a loss you were a heavy favorite in against an opponent who lost on The Ultimate Fighter that came in on short-notice, and a loss that basically derailed you from the highest point of your career and that would've gotten you a title-shot had you won.
Doubting yourself is a part of competition. Everyone goes through it after defeat, even if you only lost a controversial split-decision. They go through it especially when they're only minutes removed from watching the other guy get their hand raised. It just doesn't get caught on tape much.

I vaguely remember seeing some backstage footage — maybe from a Thrill and Agony? —where he was incredibly distraught over a loss and wracked with self-doubt, and thinking "this is a man not long for the UFC."

But he was long for a flyweight.

Sorry, couldn’t resist. Hope he works on his skills, gets his life together, and succeeds.

remember hearing him getting built up as a legit prospect before he got subbed by short notice moreno. dude subsequently shit all over himself.

still, very strange that they let a Hawaiian fighter with talks of a potential hawaii event. its not like they are lacking Hawaiian talent though.

Smolka's a good fighter-- very good submission grappling, very good kickboxing with some idiosyncratic traits that make it tough for guys to prepare for (the lead-side kick KO is a perfect example of that), very skilled with the long-fighter's striking style (he has a nice, straight, well-timed jab-pump, and he throws really fast kicks off his lead-leg). But he's really struggled to figure out how to put it all together to deal with the disadvantages of being tall and lanky.
It's really hard for tall guys whose kicking game is a big part of their striking to defend against takedowns like shorter guys can. Just being tall and stuffing takedowns is hard enough, but then you have to worry about not being able to use one of your best tools just to avoid the takedown... It's also hard to get anything going against a top-pressure grappler when you're long-limbed and not particularly strong. The go-to counter to a tall fighter's striking style is also to get inside and land hooks to the head and body, it's how you take advantage of their long arms and thin torso and neck. Those things played a role in all of his losses, even going back to Chris Cariaso. It culminated in the Matheus Nicolau fight, who did it all at the same time and dominated Smolka.
It's not like fixing that stuff is an easy thing to do, especially when you have to figure out a way to do it that doesn't neuter your stylistic strengths, so you can't really blame him.
I feel like hanging out with Miguel Torres would really benefit somebody like Smolka. There are so many parallels between their styles already, but Miguel actually figured out answers to those problems Smolka has.
I also feel-- I know this sounds overly simplistic-- like putting on a few pounds of muscle would really benefit Smolka. One of his biggest problems is that he's not super strong, and when you're as skinny as him, that's something that has a pretty easy solution.

He was a pretty fun fighter, but his wrestling really let him down. His striking also wasn't imposing, so his opponents didn't care about it.

he had one good fight and people went nuts

Man...Goes 5 - 5 in the UFC. Some performance awards. Than loses 4 and winds up in Gladiator Challenge.

The promotion where the championship belts look like the lid to a garbage can.

Time to really turn things around

Last edited:
Let him fight some cans in the regionals , he'll be back as 125 always needs fighters. Guy was exciting in his fights but lacked in the wrestling department so let him build it up along with using his frame for striking.

Man...Goes 5 - 5 in the UFC. Some performance awards. Than loses 4 and winds up in Gladiator Challenge.

The promotion where the championship belts look like the lid to a garbage can.

Time to really turn things around
Interestingly enough, Gladiator Challenge is on ONE FC's radar, they signed Savannah Em, who had fought there.

Considering his Hawaiian background, I could see ONE making a move for him in the future.

Interestingly enough, Gladiator Challenge is on ONE FC's radar, they signed Savannah Em, who had fought there.

Considering his Hawaiian background, I could see ONE making a move for him in the future.

That would be great. I love ONE

Back