Media Luke Thomas and mma beat panel criticize Bellator commentators

I was big fan of Jimmy Smith and was surprised he wasn’t retained but Big John has been awesome!
I like him too but the casual fan just sees him as a discount Joe Rogan. Bellator was smart to get rid of him.

It's not anti Bellator, it's just you think someone else can do a better job. Sean Wheelock & Sean Grande are both better at play by play than Mike Goldberg, Goldberg was OK when Rogan would call him on stuff and he does have good sound bites but he's basically a computer with certain phrases he puts in. Frank Mir & Chael Sonnen (without his pro wrestling gimmick) are better than Big John, they could put him on the panel and he's handy to have when explaining MMA rules, even have him for Title fights as an unofficial score card guy, his post fight interviews are cringeworthy, so either get someone in to do those even if they aren't big MMA guys but general sports reporters.

The guy said he’s a poor mans version of UFC Goldie but he’s actually exactly the same. Only now they’ll wink wink his meme phrases like “virtually identical” but I don’t see how a standard issue pbp announcer loses a step. His voice is the same. His calls are the same and Goldie will always be the most recognizable call of action for MMA in North America. If he was gone, you’d miss him as most people did before Bellator brought him back

While its true many clowned on GOldy before , even Joe...he now lends credibility with his voice to bellator making it feel top tier, its basically that familiar voice from the ufc commentating desk but in bellator now. Way better than the vanilla commentators Bellator had on before.

I like Goldy.

I realize he's an idiot and says stupid things.

But I still like him. Most of my fondest memories of MMA have his voice on commentary.

Excellent post.

Goldy is like a slightly senile, kindly uncle; yeah, you know his knowledge of the sport (and even memory of fights he has called) is awful, but you like and respect him anyways. In Goldy's further defense, he has a good voice and announcing style, and always comes across as a decent, considerate guy. (Especially the classy way he handled his departure from the UFC)

As for what the panel says, it's hot garbage. That smug dipshit Brian claiming Goldy in Bellator is a poor man's version of Goldy in the UFC? There's literally no difference in how he announces! Way to show you're a mindless moron with a silly, reflexive, fact-free bias for the UFC.

None of the panel particularly called him out for it either, and Luke Thomas seemed way more interested in discussing their favorite movies. (What the hell? Isn't this supposed to be a MMA show?)

I don't think Ariel Helwani is perfect, but holy hell, he is leagues more professional, interesting, and informative than any of the jackasses replacing him.

As a fan of Bellator, their biggest problem is not commentary or anything else, but the brutally slow pacing of their main cards. So much dead time...

While its true many clowned on GOldy before , even Joe...he now lends credibility with his voice to bellator making it feel top tier, its basically that familiar voice from the ufc commentating desk but in bellator now. Way better than the vanilla commentators Bellator had on before.

I feel this way even more with Mauro Ranallo, who is outstanding. He gives Bellator fights a real big match feel not only because of the quality of his play-by-play, but because he was the voice of PRIDE.

I feel this way even more with Mauro Ranallo, who is outstanding. He gives Bellator fights a real big match feel not only because of the quality of his play-by-play, but because he was the voice of PRIDE.
I'd love mauro to comentate for Bellator. Both him and Mauro still have that million dollar/instant top tier org voice which lends credibility and that is something I feel Bas has lost due to commentating any and every event he can for different orgs. Mauro has done so as well but he brings that passion that makes the event feel special.

Let's see if he goes to Bellator in the future.

Last edited:
None of the panel particularly called him out for it either, and Luke Thomas seemed way more interested in discussing their favorite movies. (What the hell? Isn't this supposed to be a MMA show?)
That video is apart of AFTER THE BEAT, which is a bonus 30 minute segment they film where fans can ask them about anything whether it's MMA related or not.

That video is apart of AFTER THE BEAT, which is a casual 30 minute segment they film after the show where fans can ask them about anything whether it's MMA related or not.

And? It's the height of arrogance to think anyone gives a slimy fuck about Luke Thomas' taste in movies, especially considering all the people mocking him for it in the comments. This "I'm a big, important journalistman!" would be barely tolerable if he actually had anything worthwhile, informative, or entertaining to say about MMA, but the self-important douchebag doesn't.

And? It's the height of arrogance to think anyone gives a slimy fuck about Luke Thomas' taste in movies, especially considering all the people mocking him for it in the comments. This "I'm a big, important journalistman!" would be barely tolerable if he actually had anything worthwhile, informative, or entertaining to say about MMA, but the self-important douchebag doesn't.
It was requested by their fans who had more obscure, or non-MMA related questions for the group. It's only meant for 15% of their usual listeners who want a little extra, more casual content.

It was requested by their fans who had non-MMA questions for the group.

It was requested by ONE PERSON who sent a tweet. Which, according to Luke's response, they had ALREADY answered on a previous show, but he wanted them to do again "until they get it right". (What a fucking douchebag)

I'm sure someone on Twitter has, at some point, requested that Luke Thomas pull down his pants and show his asshole on the show. (Literally, not just metaphorically) That too would be unappealing for the vast majority of viewers.

It was requested by ONE PERSON who sent a tweet. Which, according to Luke's response, they had ALREADY answered on a previous show, but he wanted them to do again "until they get it right". (What a fucking douchebag)

I'm sure someone on Twitter has, at some point, requested that Luke Thomas pull down his pants and show his asshole on the show. (Literally, not just metaphorically) That too would be unappealing for the vast majority of viewers.
That bonus segment is designed specifically for questions like "What's your favorite movie?". Stop hating.

At the very beginning I was impressed with Big John commentary, but overtime I've felt that he's overexplaining stuff and he overhypes every fighter they have. I know UFC commentators do also over hype, but I find big John to be incredibly hard to believe and irritating. He also usually speaks as if himself had been a fighter, and that always gets me. I think the rest of the commentary team is Gina though
Agreed. He is boring and does not have the fight experience.

Just stopping by to say Danny Segura is the worst reporter in MMA.

Segura also developed a fake Mackenzie Dern type accent

What is he talking about?

Big John and Goldie is as solding as anyone could be.

Back