LW Champ + Top 5 = 15 possible fights. Only 4 have happened.

Medulla Omoplata

Mayberry Comptroller
@Silver
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I might have mathed or remembered wrong.

Champion : Khabib
1. Conor
2. Ferguson
3. Poirier
4. Alvarez
5. Lee

So far we've seen:

Conor / Alvarez
Conor / Poirier (Although at a different weight)
Poirier/Alvarez (Ran it twice due to circumstances)
Ferguson/Lee

The LW division is, as always, super stacked and exciting. I find it intriguing that so many of the possible matchups among the top guys have not occured, and there are so many exciting fights to be had.

It's also interesting to note that Khabib has found his way to the belt without fighting anyone listed here.

Of course we will be seeing Khabib/Conor soon, which is a fantastic fight, but no other pair on this list are set to square off next. Of these possible matchups which would you like to see the most?

Personally I would love to see Conor/Ferguson, I think that would be a wild fight.
I'm curious about Khabib/Lee, I would love to see how their wrestling matches up, but I'm a little hesitant that it would end up a mediocre kickboxing bout, as so often happens when high level grapplers share the cage.

Could see Conor starching Tony but if he tries to swarm him, I think thats where El Cucuy thrives. In the insanity is where he wins. If Conor resets, he has a better chance. I will root for Tony Bat Shit Crazy Ferguson.

A lot of these matchups will materialize in the upcoming year. I think we'll have a clear cut alpha at the top soon and it will be Khabib imo. Right now Conor, Khabib and Fergusson all have claims to be the real top dog.

I doubt it would look much different in other divisions. If every possible combination of fights happened, most or all of them wouldn't be top 5 at the end of it, because there would be 15 losses spread out between them.

Khabib and Tony are also sort of a special circumstance, because they've been signed to fight each other like 4 times. I agree with all the stuff about the state of the division though. It's the most interesting division in the UFC right now by a large margin.

LOOK AT ALL THE COMBOS!!! <DCWhoa>

Khabib v Conor
Khabib v Ferguson
Khabib v Poirier
Khabib v Alvarez
Khabib v Lee
Conor v Ferguson
Conor v Poirier
Conor v Alvarez
Conor v Lee
Furguson v Poirier
Furguson v Alvarez
Furguson v Lee
Poirier v Alvarez
Poirier v Lee
Alvarez v Lee

I doubt it would look much different in other divisions. If every possible combination of fights happened, most or all of them wouldn't be top 5 at the end of it, because there would be 15 losses spread out between them.

Khabib and Tony are also sort of a special circumstance, because they've been signed to fight each other like 4 times. I agree with all the stuff about the state of the division though. It's the most interesting division in the UFC right now by a large margin.

I'm not going to run the numbers for each division but a quick glance at the rankings suggests to me that the top fighters in other divisions have mixed it up a bit more than in the LW division, but that wasn't necessarily my main point.
I was mostly trying to highlight how many exciting matches are yet to made @ LW, and the unusual situation of Khabib not having fought any of the top 5 (not blaming him, it's just how it worked out).

But just at a glance:
@FW you have Aldo, Holloway, Edgar, Mendes, Ortega who have all mixed it up quite a bit
@MW you have Whittaker, Yoel, Jacare, Rockhold, Weidman, Gatellum. Seems to be a healthy number of matchups between those guys as well.

Disclaimer: I might have mathed or remembered wrong.

Champion : Khabib
1. Conor
2. Ferguson
3. Poirier
4. Alvarez
5. Lee

So far we've seen:

Conor / Alvarez
Conor / Poirier (Although at a different weight)
Poirier/Alvarez (Ran it twice due to circumstances)
Ferguson/Lee

The LW division is, as always, super stacked and exciting. I find it intriguing that so many of the possible matchups among the top guys have not occured, and there are so many exciting fights to be had.

It's also interesting to note that Khabib has found his way to the belt without fighting anyone listed here.

Of course we will be seeing Khabib/Conor soon, which is a fantastic fight, but no other pair on this list are set to square off next. Of these possible matchups which would you like to see the most?

Personally I would love to see Conor/Ferguson, I think that would be a wild fight.
I'm curious about Khabib/Lee, I would love to see how their wrestling matches up, but I'm a little hesitant that it would end up a mediocre kickboxing bout, as so often happens when high level grapplers share the cage.

Lots of amazing matchups indeed.

Conor-Khabib is the one I want to see the most, and thankfully we get to see it soon.
Afterwards it's Ferg/Conor, Khabib/Ferg, and Khabib/Lee.
After it's probably Dustin/Conor rematch.

Slightly OT, why is Alvarez still there? Any news on his contractual status with the UFC?

because of tiramisu and cables and also a couple of those 5 were ducking him

Lots of exciting fights at LW to be made, just need to get them fighting each other. Out of those I would say Khabib-Ferguson is the one I'd still like to see the most.

Now add Nate, Gaethje, Aldo, Barboza, Pettis, and Iaquinta to the mix of possible LW fights...

giphy.gif

Back