LW Isn't The Killer Division It Once Was ( Khabib And Conor are Both Over - Rated )

MRDOG

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
You read the title right.

Conor got special treatment in his fights and seems to have allot of favorable circumstances surrounding some of his biggest fights. He fought a wide array of fighters that he was much bigger then and once facing someone slightly bigger he lost / had a tough fight that could of went either way.

Khabib is undefeated and I would put his best win down as RDA, which was a solid win but he won the belt from facing someone outside the top ten or barely top ten ( depending on your rankings ).

The LW division is so weak that :
- Anthony Pettis who is 3 - 5 in his last eight fights is still ranked 8th in the division.
- Tony Ferguson who has fought about twice in three years is ranked 2nd.
- Conor Mcgregor is ranked 1st after being stripped of the belt and hasn't fought in 2 years and has fought only once in the LW division.
- Al laquinta who has fought twice in three years and went 1 -1 in those two fights is ranked in the top 10

Both are tough fighters and so are some of the others I mention but the LW division doesn't exactly have all the killers it once had.

Folks .... the UFC LW division isn't what it once was.

Yet fighters are killing themselves to cut to 145

It's better than ever in terms of top talent, but handled horribly.

The title picture and rankings are a mess, but it's as talented as it ever has been. I don't know what era TS is comparing it to but half the top ten is the same as it was 4 years ago.

Yet fighters are killing themselves to cut to 145

Fighters like to have a size advantage. There are fighters killing themselves to make weight in every division but besides that the 145 lb top fighters are aging. Aldo and Edgar are amazing fighters that are on the tail end of their careers and the champion of the division is sick. The division is wide open for any top fighter to capture. Moving down to 145 lbs if you can is a smart move.

UFC is dying.

Nope ....

It's better than ever in terms of top talent, but handled horribly.

I disagree ....

There was a time when the LW division had ..

Frankie Edgar / Maynard / Gilbert Melendaz / B.J. Penn / Eddie Alvarez / Ben Henderson / Micheal Chandler / Anthony Pettis and others in their prime or near it.

1) the ufc rankings are a meaningless marketing tool
2) true rankings are supposed to be based on quality, not activity or win streaks. you can lose 9 fights and win 1 and still be in the top 10.

still my all time favorite division in terms of movement knockout power and overall fun matches.

Its moreso I'd say that the rankings situation is quite messed up, their is actually a good degree of talent in the top 10 though.

Compared to when ts?

The exact same guys are all there

How many more million times is this going to be said I mean hold on that horse is still breathing hit it.

1) the ufc rankings are a meaningless marketing tool
2) true rankings are supposed to be based on quality, not activity or win streaks. you can lose 9 fights and win 1 and still be in the top 10.

Wrong on both ...

1. Rankings help the fighters in many ways. For example .... it will always be brought up that Aldo was the #1 FW in the world for almost 10 years.

2. When you say lose 9 fights do you mean in a row ? Do you mean a fighter could win 1 of his latest 10 fights and still be ranked in the top 10 ? If so then that is just an obsurd thing to say.

You read the title right.

Conor got special treatment in his fights and seems to have allot of favorable circumstances surrounding some of his biggest fights. He fought a wide array of fighters that he was much bigger then and once facing someone slightly bigger he lost / had a tough fight that could of went either way.

Khabib is undefeated and I would put his best win down as RDA, which was a solid win but he won the belt from facing someone outside the top ten or barely top ten ( depending on your rankings ).

The LW division is so weak that :
- Anthony Pettis who is 3 - 5 in his last eight fights is still ranked 8th in the division.
- Tony Ferguson who has fought about twice in three years is ranked 2nd.
- Conor Mcgregor is ranked 1st after being stripped of the belt and hasn't fought in 2 years and has fought only once in the LW division.
- Al laquinta who has fought twice in three years and went 1 -1 in those two fights is ranked in the top 10

Both are tough fighters and so are some of the others I mention but the LW division doesn't exactly have all the killers it once had.

Folks .... the UFC LW division isn't what it once was.
The rankings don't mean much, it's just a tool the UFC manipulates to promote fights.

You have tons of talent, beasts like Taisumov or Makachev aren't even ranked... then you have really good guys like Felder, Duffy, Gillespie that aren't ranked either, overall the division is stacked.

Talk about throwing the Cat among Pigeons.

<{danawhoah}>

Wrong on both ...

1. Rankings help the fighters in many ways. For example .... it will always be brought up that Aldo was the #1 FW in the world for almost 10 years.

2. When you say lose 9 fights do you mean in a row ? Do you mean a fighter could win 1 of his latest 10 fights and still be ranked in the top 10 ? If so then that is just an obsurd thing to say.
1) i never said that the ufc rankings dont affect fighters, i just explained how someone can be ranked #1 without fighting for years and without having quality wins but that doesnt have any implications on the quality of the division because that fighter is actually worse than his "official" ranking suggests.

2) if someone is the 10th best fighter in his division, that means he would lose to the 9 above him but he would be able to beat the 11th best. i dont see whats so hard to understand about that concept.

The title picture and rankings are a mess, but it's as talented as it ever has been. I don't know what era TS is comparing it to but half the top ten is the same as it was 4 years ago.

4 year ago isn't that long. Its been two years since Conor fought in the division or at all in the UFC.

There was a time when Killers like Frankie Edgar / Grey Maynard / B.J. Penn were all in their primes in the division. With a ton of other fighters that were also elite tough fighters. While the LW division still has some of the same fighters in it .. they have aged and are not the same fighters they were when the LW division was jammed packed full of talent. They were not equally replaced by new tallent. Sure a few stand outs came along but as many as there once was. Today Nate Diaz is considered a top fighter and a title contender. He is basically a win one .. loose one fighter and always has been.

Back