LW Isn't The Killer Division It Once Was ( Khabib And Conor are Both Over - Rated )

The 155 division right now is the most stacked division in the history of the sport, what are you talking about.
There are absolute murderers that aren't even ranked in the top 15 because there is no space.

The fact that a former champion that seemed invincible 3 years ago, now is 3-5 in his last 8 fights, tells you what kind of shark tank the division is.

Frankie Edgar isn't even the best featherweight, but he was champion at 155 without even cutting weight, and you want to tell us that at the time the division was better?

1) i never said that the ufc rankings dont affect fighters, i just explained how someone can be ranked #1 without fighting for years and without having quality wins but that doesnt have any implications on the quality of the division because that fighter is actually worse than his "official" ranking suggests.

Actually you said ,

1) the ufc rankings are a meaningless marketing tool

2) if someone is the 10th best fighter in his division, that means he would lose to the 9 above him but he would be able to beat the 11th best. i dont see whats so hard to understand about that concept.

That is not what it means at all. You could be the 10th best fighter and be able to beat the 9th best or anyone else above you. It also doesn't mean you can beat the 11th guy. Being ranked 10th means your accolades up to that point allow you to be ranked 10th. There are nine others with better accolades at current time.

You read the title right.

Conor got special treatment in his fights and seems to have allot of favorable circumstances surrounding some of his biggest fights. He fought a wide array of fighters that he was much bigger then and once facing someone slightly bigger he lost / had a tough fight that could of went either way.

Khabib is undefeated and I would put his best win down as RDA, which was a solid win but he won the belt from facing someone outside the top ten or barely top ten ( depending on your rankings ).

The LW division is so weak that :
- Anthony Pettis who is 3 - 5 in his last eight fights is still ranked 8th in the division.
- Tony Ferguson who has fought about twice in three years is ranked 2nd.
- Conor Mcgregor is ranked 1st after being stripped of the belt and hasn't fought in 2 years and has fought only once in the LW division.
- Al laquinta who has fought twice in three years and went 1 -1 in those two fights is ranked in the top 10

Both are tough fighters and so are some of the others I mention but the LW division doesn't exactly have all the killers it once had.

Folks .... the UFC LW division isn't what it once was.

<DCrying>

Actually you said ,

1) the ufc rankings are a meaningless marketing tool

That is not what it means at all. You could be the 10th best fighter and be able to beat the 9th best or anyone else above you. It also doesn't mean you can beat the 11th guy. Being ranked 10th means your accolades up to that point allow you to be ranked 10th. There are nine others with better accolades at current time.
literally everything you said is nonsense. i wont bother with this, blocked

4 year ago isn't that long. Its been two years since Conor fought in the division or at all in the UFC.

There was a time when Killers like Frankie Edgar / Grey Maynard / B.J. Penn were all in their primes in the division. With a ton of other fighters that were also elite tough fighters. While the LW division still has some of the same fighters in it .. they have aged and are not the same fighters they were when the LW division was jammed packed full of talent. They were not equally replaced by new tallent. Sure a few stand outs came along but as many as there once was. Today Nate Diaz is considered a top fighter and a title contender. He is basically a win one .. loose one fighter and always has been.

Killers like Maynard? Maynard had like 8 decisions in a row, a draw with Edgar and then his career fell apart. His best wins are a decision over Edgar and Florian (respectable) and a decision over Nate, who you seem to dismiss as a top fighter, and who also later TKOd Maynard.

During the era your describing (circa early 2011) the top LW in the UFC would have been BJ, Edgar, Maynard, Jim Miller, Clay Guida, Kenny Florian, Sean Sherk with Benson and Pettis joining the UFC later that year.
If you are really going to say that division is significantly more talented and full of killers compared to : Conor, Khabib, Ferguson, Poirier, Alvarez, Lee, Gathje, Barboza, Pettis then I don't know what else to say, I think you're way off the mark.

The rankings don't mean much, it's just a tool the UFC manipulates to promote fights.

You have tons of talent, beasts like Taisumov or Makachev aren't even ranked... then you have really good guys like Felder, Duffy, Gillespie that aren't ranked either, overall the division is stacked.

Gillespie is on the sherdog rankings, no one cares about the UFC ones

Fighters like to have a size advantage. There are fighters killing themselves to make weight in every division but besides that the 145 lb top fighters are aging. Aldo and Edgar are amazing fighters that are on the tail end of their careers and the champion of the division is sick. The division is wide open for any top fighter to capture. Moving down to 145 lbs if you can is a smart move.

Nope ....

I disagree ....

There was a time when the LW division had ..

Frankie Edgar / Maynard / Gilbert Melendaz / B.J. Penn / Eddie Alvarez / Ben Henderson / Micheal Chandler / Anthony Pettis and others in their prime or near it.

Michael Chandler was never in the UFC.

“In their prime or near it” this phrase takes so much context out of that list if names I’m too lazy to think of it all.

But since u liked throwing his name in their randomly to strengthen ur point, Will Brooks(a more recent name) destroyed him twice in a row and couldnt even break in the top 15 in the UFC.

Anyway rankings are random votes by media reporters who mever trained, but there are lots of killers unranked in the UFC’s LW roster like that Gregor Gillespie. And as much as his style purely aims to please crowd rather than try to win at all cost, Justin Gaethje would still have a chance to KO anyone. Kevin Lee being only 25 yet 10-3 in the UFC is crazy, he even finished the version of barboza that khabib couldnt.
Oh and I’d still pit money Pettis beats bendo a 100/100 times again.

Conor got special treatment in his fights and seems to have allot of favorable circumstances surrounding some of his biggest fights. He fought a wide array of fighters that he was much bigger then and once facing someone slightly bigger he lost / had a tough fight that could of went either way.

Khabib is undefeated and I would put his best win down as RDA, which was a solid win but he won the belt from facing someone outside the top ten or barely top ten ( depending on your rankings ).

- Anthony Pettis who is 3 - 5 in his last eight fights is still ranked 8th in the division.
- Conor Mcgregor is ranked 1st after being stripped of the belt and hasn't fought in 2 years and has fought only once in the LW division.
- Al laquinta who has fought twice in three years and went 1 -1 in those two fights is ranked in the top 10

Both are tough fighters and so are some of the others I mention but the LW division doesn't exactly have all the killers it once had.

Um, ok....short of BJ Penn. When was the LW division any better than it is now?

I hear your criticism, but I don't see you explain what era was better any why....

Dogshit thread. 155 division is fucking stacked.

Yeah kenny florini, Joe Stevenson and Diego Sanchez were the murderer's row of LWs.

I love LW div right now. Vick, Ferg, Poirier, McGregor, Nurmy, Johnson. Really like to see them all fight.

The LW division is a shark tank. You’ve got no clue what you are talking about

Impressive attempt. But let's break down your bullshit.

Anthony Pettis is 3-5. Why? Maybe because 155 is a deep division.

Tony Ferguson is ranked second because he's beaten the best of the best except for Conor and Khabib.

Conor is ranked for popularity reasons. Nothing to do with the depth of 155.

Al Iaquinta is ranked for political reasons. Nothing to do with the depth of the division.

The division is volatile BECAUSE it's deep. If you want to talk about lack of depth, talk about LHW and HW.

4 year ago isn't that long. Its been two years since Conor fought in the division or at all in the UFC.

There was a time when Killers like Frankie Edgar / Grey Maynard / B.J. Penn were all in their primes in the division. With a ton of other fighters that were also elite tough fighters. While the LW division still has some of the same fighters in it .. they have aged and are not the same fighters they were when the LW division was jammed packed full of talent. They were not equally replaced by new tallent. Sure a few stand outs came along but as many as there once was. Today Nate Diaz is considered a top fighter and a title contender. He is basically a win one .. loose one fighter and always has been.

How loose is Nate? Always thought to myself he’s a tight fighter

The 155 division right now is the most stacked division in the history of the sport, what are you talking about.
There are absolute murderers that aren't even ranked in the top 15 because there is no space.

The fact that a former champion that seemed invincible 3 years ago, now is 3-5 in his last 8 fights, tells you what kind of shark tank the division is.

Frankie Edgar isn't even the best featherweight, but he was champion at 155 without even cutting weight, and you want to tell us that at the time the division was better?

That former champion is 3 - 5 because he is no longer at his peak. The fact someone can be 3 - 5 and still ranked 8th shows how weak the division is not the opposite as you claim.

Edgar is past his prime at 36 years old and still a top fighter. He can walk right into the LW division and be a title contender and possibly champion.

Alexander Hernandez coming for that strap. 2019 LW champion of the world. Mark my words.

You need some tissue ?

Yeah kenny florini, Joe Stevenson and Diego Sanchez were the murderer's row of LWs.

Those are some darn good fighters. Diego Sanchez was regarded highly for a few years. He and Nick Diaz had one heck of a battle in which Sanchez won. Fighters get old. Sean Sherk is another LW beast that many over look. Kenny Florian was a multi division title challenger.

The LW division is a shark tank. You’ve got no clue what you are talking about

I have plenty clue .... It has allot of tough fighters but is weaker now then it has been in quite some time.

there are a lot of prospects under the top 10 that could easily take anyone's spot with the right push.

Back