LW Isn't The Killer Division It Once Was ( Khabib And Conor are Both Over - Rated )

Today Nate Diaz is considered a top fighter and a title contender. He is basically a win one .. loose one fighter and always has been.

Nate Diaz was a top fighter when Bendo was champ. Or did you forget he fought for the title?

145 and 155 are
@MRDOG, you've been here longer than me, and have a Plat account. Why are you making white belt level threads?

LW is strong asf. There are no gimmie fights in the top 15. Tony has been out for a while and could use a fight before he fights for title, tell me, who would you match him up against in the top 15?

Tony-Conor-Khabib are all championship level fighters.

Dustin-Eddie-Lee are the gate keepers to the very top of the division.

Barboza-Gaethje-Diaz-Pettis are all beatable top contenders, who will give anyone a very hard fight. None of these guys is getting walked through. Even 8f you beat one of these guys, you're probably facing a lengthy medical suspension.

Vick-Iaquinta-Hernandez-Hooker-Trinaldo are all skilled and are not an easy fight for anyone, yet losing to them will set you back really far in the division. Now why is that?

The division is strong asf. If anything WW has been dying down. Needs some new blood in the rankings. Gunnar doesn't fight. Dhk doesn't fight. Ponzi hasn't fought since Dec. Cowboy is losing to everyone at the top. Masvidal is on a game show. Magny cheery picks. Maia is getting matched up with all the wrestlers. Robbie Lawler is on a decline. Wonderboy has had one good fight sandwiched between stinkers, since 2016. Colby ruined his title shot. And the Champion just recently stopped being a cry baby (at least according to him). The talent is all there, but I feel the division is a bit mismanaged.

WW is still leagues above LHW and HW, where the talent decline is almost at crisis-level.

But LW, the division is insane. FW too. Funny thing is a lot of guys in those divisions could easily fight at WW and not look out of place. The ultimate cutting championship is in full force nowadays.

Did you just assume my liking for Conor?

No, it was a joke centered around Conor threads and the attention they get and a jab at you labeling my topic a " white belt topic ".

Tony-Diaz. I'd love to see that fight myself. Both Mexican American (pocho) guys, who won't go down. But you didn't answer the question I asked. I asked you who you would give Tony in the top 15 as a gimmie fight for his return, since having him jump on a title shot wouldn't be smart for him. The answer is there aren't any, because the division is stacked. Which is my point.

Oh as a gimmie fight ..... well he would need a known opponent that is beatable because beating up some no-one isn't going to get the fans excited to see him in a title fight ... So like I said Nate Diaz would suit just fine. The problem is the LW division is at a point where a lose one win one fighter could ( and has ) beat the top guys in the division.

Yes I called Eddie a gatekeeper, but it seems like your reading comprehension is failing you. I said they (Eddie, Dustin, Lee) are the gate keepers to the very top of the division, meaning after Conor, Khabib, and Tony they are the next in line alphas of the division.

The problem is I don't view guys ranked in the top 5 as any type of gatekeeper. If you are in the top five you are not a gatekeeper and can contend for the belt at any moment. Diaz and Conor are 1-1 ... you make it seem like those top three are unbeatable. Lets not forget Conor and Diaz went 1-1.

Melendez and Alvarez weren't in the UFC at the time. You used a loss against Nate in your OP to discredit Conor, yet you use him now to strengthen the old division, but not the new?

And WTF, if unknown fighters still strengthen the division then how can you possibly discredit the current division? Maybe there are a bunch of potential GOATs in the division right now but we know how good they are going to be yet. What a bizarre argument.

Melendez and Alvarez weren't in the UFC at what time ?

Maby there are a bunch of unknown fighters that are being slept on but we won't know that until a couple years down the road. As for using Diaz as an example my point is that a win one lose one tough fighter that went 1-1 with the LW champion who was recently stripped wouldn't of sniffed the UFC LW strap during the past more stacked LW division. Today he has a very real shot at winning the LW belt.

Khabib
Fergie
Conor
Poirer
Lee
Alvares
Barboza

That's about as nasty a top 7 as you will see anywhere.

B.J. Penn
Sean Sherk
Edgar
Maynard
Anthony Pettis
RDS
Guida
Nate Diaz
the list goes on .....

The LW division use to be much more stacked. Today we have allot of tough fighters but nothing like it was. It use to be a much harder division to reach the top in.

I am gonna go ahead and disagree.

Tony, khabib, Lee and conor would all ruin zombie Sanchez, who was exactly that when he started at LW. He had a great run until Kos completely exposed him.

Diego was still a top fighter when he first moved to LW. His record was 24 - 2 before fighting for the belt. He went downhill after B.J. took his soul.

Edgar COULD be in the top5. Not convinced BJ would beat the top guys to be champ today. Sherk would probably lose to Kevin Lee for sure . khabib and sherk would have been interesting. Tony vs Sherk too

Edgar would be ranked top five atm with just an announcement that he is back in the LW division. He would also have a solid chance at winning that belt. Prime Edgar would be LW Champion today.

Sean Sherk is greatly underrated and would also have a good shot at winning the LW belt today if he was in his prime. And then we have B.J. Penn with also would be LW champion today if he was in his prime. Face it the LW division isn't what it once was.

Keep in mind guys like Sherk and Maynard would get USADA'ed.

There are plenty of others not getting USADA'ed. So that is not something we can say for sure.

Maynard would get wrecked by Kevin Lee, Tony, Khabib and Conor.

Today's version of Maynard gets wrecked but not the version that was at his peak and went through that trilogy with Edgar.

Out of all the guys you listed, Sanchez is the least convincing. He is only a tough guy. He has shit striking, shit takedowns so he can't even implement his solid grappling because he can't get the fight to the mat and is forced to stand with basically everyone and basically everyone has better standup than him.

Sanchez in his prime beats Conor via wreslting.

You read the title right.

Conor got special treatment in his fights and seems to have allot of favorable circumstances surrounding some of his biggest fights. He fought a wide array of fighters that he was much bigger then and once facing someone slightly bigger he lost / had a tough fight that could of went either way.

Khabib is undefeated and I would put his best win down as RDA, which was a solid win but he won the belt from facing someone outside the top ten or barely top ten ( depending on your rankings ).

The LW division is so weak that :
- Anthony Pettis who is 3 - 5 in his last eight fights is still ranked 8th in the division.
- Tony Ferguson who has fought about twice in three years is ranked 2nd.
- Conor Mcgregor is ranked 1st after being stripped of the belt and hasn't fought in 2 years and has fought only once in the LW division.
- Al laquinta who has fought twice in three years and went 1 -1 in those two fights is ranked in the top 10

Both are tough fighters and so are some of the others I mention but the LW division doesn't exactly have all the killers it once had.

Folks .... the UFC LW division isn't what it once was.
LW is the most exciting division right now...

Nate Diaz was a top fighter when Bendo was champ. Or did you forget he fought for the title?

I do, do you remember how the fight went ?

.. Nate was on a two fight losing streak and then fought three tough dudes but those dudes were not the best the division had at the time.

LW is the most exciting division right now...

Sure but the most of that excitement is because of one guy .. .. Conor.

I do, do you remember how the fight went ?

.. Nate was on a two fight losing streak and then fought three tough dudes but those dudes were not the best the division had at the time.

{<huh}

Yes they were. Cerrone and Miller were contenders at the time. Here are the worldwide rankings at the time Nate fought them

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12...-december-2011-consensus-rankings-lightweight
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/4/...ion-april-2012-consensus-rankings-lightweight

Ignoring the non-UFC fighters, Cerrone was ranked 6th and Miller was ranked 4th. At the time of Nate's title shot, the only fighters ranked above him were Maynard and Edgar who had both recently fought for the title and lost. He earned his title shot by beating the best fighters in the division. Either you have an awful memory or you weren't following mma at the time.

You've claimed repeatedly that Nate wouldn't have sniffed the strap in the past but that's simply not true. He not only fought for the title in the past (which you forgot) but he had a higher rank back then as well.

Last edited:
{<huh}

Yes they were. Cerrone and Miller were contenders at the time. Here are the worldwide rankings at the time Nate fought them

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12...-december-2011-consensus-rankings-lightweight
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/4/...ion-april-2012-consensus-rankings-lightweight

Ignoring the non-UFC fighters, Cerrone was ranked 6th and Miller was ranked 4th. At the time of Nate's title shot, the only fighters ranked above him were Maynard and Edgar who had both recently fought for the title and lost. He earned his title shot by beating the best fighters in the division. Either you have an awful memory or you weren't following mma at the time.

Gomi wasn't ranked and that was one of his wins.

Diaz then fought Donald Cerrone 12 / 2011 who was ranked 20th in the world wide rankings just before their fight.
http://www.fightmatrix.com/historic...ated-historical-rankings/?Issue=88&Division=5

Diaz then fought Jim Miller 05 / 2012 who was ranked 8th in world wide rankings at the time behind Nate Diaz himself who was ranked 7th. I admit I forgot Jim Miller was ranked so highly at the time.

http://www.fightmatrix.com/historic...ated-historical-rankings/?Issue=90&Division=5

Gomi wasn't ranked and that was one of his wins.

Diaz then fought Donald Cerrone 12 / 2011 who was ranked 20th in the world wide rankings just before their fight.
http://www.fightmatrix.com/historic...ated-historical-rankings/?Issue=88&Division=5

Diaz then fought Jim Miller 05 / 2012 who was ranked 8th in world wide rankings at the time behind Nate Diaz himself who was ranked 7th. I admit I forgot Jim Miller was ranked so highly at the time.

http://www.fightmatrix.com/historic...ated-historical-rankings/?Issue=90&Division=5

<36>

You fail on all three counts.

1. According to your own source, Gomi was ranked 21st in the world.

http://www.fightmatrix.com/historic...ated-historical-rankings/?Issue=87&Division=5

2. Your first link was generated several months before Nate fought Cerrone. Cerrone fought after that and beat Siver. He was much higher ranked at the time he fought Nate.

3. Your second link was generated after Diaz already beat Miller. Thats why he's ranked ahead.

You suck at this. Nice try though.

Last edited:
You read the title right.

Conor got special treatment in his fights and seems to have allot of favorable circumstances surrounding some of his biggest fights. He fought a wide array of fighters that he was much bigger then and once facing someone slightly bigger he lost / had a tough fight that could of went either way.

Khabib is undefeated and I would put his best win down as RDA, which was a solid win but he won the belt from facing someone outside the top ten or barely top ten ( depending on your rankings ).

The LW division is so weak that :
- Anthony Pettis who is 3 - 5 in his last eight fights is still ranked 8th in the division.
- Tony Ferguson who has fought about twice in three years is ranked 2nd.
- Conor Mcgregor is ranked 1st after being stripped of the belt and hasn't fought in 2 years and has fought only once in the LW division.
- Al laquinta who has fought twice in three years and went 1 -1 in those two fights is ranked in the top 10

Both are tough fighters and so are some of the others I mention but the LW division doesn't exactly have all the killers it once had.

Folks .... the UFC LW division isn't what it once was.

What kind of shit post is this? Name a better division? The only one that comes close is WW, and they probably would be the best if they didn't let half their fighters walk to Bellator, but nonetheless they do. FW has been improving too over the years and might actually overtake it, but for now LW is still no doubt the best division.

s r
<36>

You fail on all three counts.

1. According to your own source, Gomi was ranked 21st in the world.

http://www.fightmatrix.com/historic...ated-historical-rankings/?Issue=87&Division=5

2. Your first link was generated several months before Nate fought Cerrone. Cerrone fought after that and beat Siver. He was much higher ranked at the time he fought Nate.

3. Your second link was generated after Diaz already beat Miller. Thats why he's ranked ahead.

You suck at this. Nice try though.

Someone is doing some sucking here but I believe it's you.

1. Gomi was ranked 21st .... read that again ... he was ranked 21st. He was not a top contender at the time. I guess I should of said he wasn't ranked near the top 10 instead of saying he wasn't ranked.

2. My second link is a list for the date of 04/01/2012. Diaz vs Jim took place on 05/05/2012.

And even with all that aside ... Nate beat the 21st ranked guy and 20th ranked guy in the world and then Jim Miller to get his title shot.

Like I said ... he faced some tough guys to get the title shot but not the guys that were at the top of the division at the time. His wins over these tough guys + his name value is what got him the title shot.

Last edited:
Best lightweights imo in no particular order: Ferguson, Hooker, Lee, Makhachev, Khabib, Poirier, Taisumov, Vick, McGregor

What kind of shit post is this? Name a better division? The only one that comes close is WW, and they probably would be the best if they didn't let half their fighters walk to Bellator, but nonetheless they do. FW has been improving too over the years and might actually overtake it, but for now LW is still no doubt the best division.

I didn't say there was a better division. I said it is weak compared to what it once was. If LW is better then other divisions is debatable.

Best lightweights imo in no particular order: Ferguson, Hooker, Lee, Makhachev, Khabib, Poirier, Taisumov, Vick, McGregor

Lots of tough guys but LW has always been filled with tough guys.

Fighters like to have a size advantage. There are fighters killing themselves to make weight in every division but besides that the 145 lb top fighters are aging. Aldo and Edgar are amazing fighters that are on the tail end of their careers and the champion of the division is sick. The division is wide open for any top fighter to capture. Moving down to 145 lbs if you can is a smart move.

Nope ....

I disagree ....

There was a time when the LW division had ..

Frankie Edgar / Maynard / Gilbert Melendaz / B.J. Penn / Eddie Alvarez / Ben Henderson / Micheal Chandler / Anthony Pettis and others in their prime or near it.
Are we talking UFC, thought Chandler was Bellaror until recently .. if purely 155 regardless of org, yes.

I’d say there are killers today.

Khabib / Tony / Conor / Mo Town / Baboza / Pettis / Dustin Porier / Eddie Alvarez / Justin Gatchae / Hernandez /

Etc man I think the 155 division is as deep as it ever has

USADA kill all Brazilians soo people not happy

Are we talking UFC, thought Chandler was Bellaror until recently .. if purely 155 regardless of org, yes.

I’d say there are killers today.

Khabib / Tony / Conor / Mo Town / Baboza / Pettis / Dustin Porier / Eddie Alvarez / Justin Gatchae / Hernandez /

Etc man I think the 155 division is as deep as it ever has

Both I guess ...

UFC divisions was stronger but there is no doubt that the over-all division was stronger.

I agree there are some great fighters in todays LW division but I think that Tony / Khabib would have a tough time getting the title when Edgar / B.J. were in their primes and still in the LW division. Pettis is past it and is 3-5 while still being ranked 8th in the division. Eddie Alvarez is past it and the UFC / Dana is basically saying they are willing to let Eddie go to Bellator. Conor is the one creating most the hype at LW ..... other than matches vs Conor the only other one that stands out above the rest is Tony vs Khabib.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back