Lyoto Machida Trips, Throws and Foot Sweeps Breakdown Video

Sonny Brown

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi Lads,

Just finished working on this video that I thought you might enjoy. It takes a look at the takedowns Lyoto Machida has used in the UFC which are all done from standing position and Karate influenced.

Hope you enjoy !

Cheers!

Great vid...one of my favorite fighters (if not my favorite of all time).

Quality video. It's amazing that almost nobody in MMA has even come close to utilizing sweeps the way Machida does.

Very nice video, thanks for sharing!

Sweep #1 ("Kuzushi waza" as demonstrated by Enoeda sensei) is my favorite sweep / takedown ever. It's very effective and easy to set up, for example with the regular jab-cross. If you notice your opponent leaning BACK to dodge the cross (instead of blocking or ducking), you know he'll be easy pray for this sweep. :)

The "low foot" front and rear foot sweeps are much harder to perform IMHO, since they require impeccable timing. I've only been able to successfully pull them off once or twice.

The outside leg trip is something that I actually learned in Judo and not in Karate. It's a version of Kosoto Gari (pic 1) or Kosoto Gake (pic 2) I think. Of course some Karate schools teach it also.

kosotogari.gif
kosotogake.gif

Actually, come to think of it, the outside leg trip might as well be Ashi Barai in Tekki Shodan kata so yeah, almost every Karate style/school teaches that too. :D Silly me.

Don't feed the troll.

Great vid...one of my favorite fighters (if not my favorite of all time).
Damn, that just lowered my opinion of you...

Great video though! Some pretty slick stuff by Machida... effortless trips and sweeps are always beautiful to watch

Edit: Oh no me and space time agree on something

Last edited:
If you ask me... In no particular order.. Bas Rutten, Andersson Silva, GSP, Jon Jones are far more exciting and talented fighters than the Karate dude

Great fucking vid, very concise and to the point.

Love sweeps and trips, and Machida does them very well. Reminds me of Fedor a bit.

Something to go practice right away!

Machida is admirable because he had only a single game plan and learned to apply it against multiple opponents, not in spite of it.

He only had one plan, and when it didn't work, he was screwed - but the number of times he made it work, and the opponents against whom he made it work is what elevates him from a general MMA athlete to an all-star one.

Machida is admirable because he had only a single game plan and learned to apply it against multiple opponents, not in spite of it.

He only had one plan, and when it didn't work, he was screwed - but the number of times he made it work, and the opponents against whom he made it work is what elevates him from a general MMA athlete to an all-star one.

Not saying he wasn't good.. There was some clever strategy involved as well, like taking guys down who were bigger and stronger strikers and using his BJJ and Sumo background. That left a bad taste in my mouth since he was supposed to represent Karate, he was even presented as a "Karate fighter".

Very nice video, thanks for sharing!

Sweep #1 ("Kuzushi waza" as demonstrated by Enoeda sensei) is my favorite sweep / takedown ever. It's very effective and easy to set up, for example with the regular jab-cross. If you notice your opponent leaning BACK to dodge the cross (instead of blocking or ducking), you know he'll be easy pray for this sweep. :)

The "low foot" front and rear foot sweeps are much harder to perform IMHO, since they require impeccable timing. I've only been able to successfully pull them off once or twice.

The outside leg trip is something that I actually learned in Judo and not in Karate. It's a version of Kosoto Gari (pic 1) or Kosoto Gake (pic 2) I think. Of course some Karate schools teach it also.

kosotogari.gif
kosotogake.gif

(what colour is this dress)

Love this clip. :D

Love that series!

There's a bunch of that same British narrated series scattered over Youtube.

Solid expert old school Kodokan syllabus not to watered down by modern Olympic rules focus!

Back