Machida was supposed to fight Griffin at UFC 70. Who would have won ?

Machida all day. It would've be similar to Andy/Griffin.

That's pretty much the worst stylistic matchup for Forrest Griffin minus Silva.

That's pretty much the worst stylistic matchup for Forrest Griffin minus Silva.

Forrest was a huge LHW, walked around at 230lbs, whereas Machida fought at 205lb. Griffin was overwhelming on the ground too. I think it would have been closer than people think. Just my opinion. I would still say Lyoto, but with a hard fought decision.

And IIRC, Ken Shamrock was supposed to fight a young, fresh-off-of-TUF3 Michael Bisping at UFC 75, before the UFC screwed Shamrock out of the last fight on his contract and he sued them.

Griffin would have out worked him at that time. He didnt know any better and went for it. Machidas style would have not been elusive enough.

Griffin, obviously. Those were the days when some (lots of) folks on Sherdog were hailing Forrest as a top-25 all time MMA fighter.

{<hhh]

Hard to say, though I disagree with the people who say it would have been like Silva-Griffin. Anderson was a different kind of beast than Machida back then.

Last edited:
No, Machida UD.

That was a bycicle Machida era.

Bingo. Forest did well with brawling. I see Machida keeping it very defensive and counter striking. It ends just like Machida's match with Bader.

tumblr_m8ayxveh0R1qzwhb0o1_500.gif

Bingo. Forest did well with brawling. I see Machida keeping it very defensive and counter striking. It ends just like Machida's match with Bader.

tumblr_m8ayxveh0R1qzwhb0o1_500.gif

People don't appreciate how brilliant, difficult, well timed, and amazing this counter KO was.

People don't appreciate how brilliant, difficult, well timed, and amazing this counter KO was.

It really is fantastic. It has to be so hard to land that clean when you have a guy as jacked at Bader rushing right at you.

It really is fantastic. It has to be so hard to land that clean when you have a guy as jacked at Bader rushing right at you.

I agree. To have that ability to be composed, to time it, to place the punch there, to have the left arm up in anticipation of Bader throwing the right - it's just tactical brilliance only the elite few strikers in the world possess.

Lyoto is one of the greats !

Forrest was a huge LHW, walked around at 230lbs, whereas Machida fought at 205lb. Griffin was overwhelming on the ground too. I think it would have been closer than people think. Just my opinion. I would still say Lyoto, but with a hard fought decision.

He doesn't have the wresting to get it to the ground at all, or the speed to close distance effectively to clinch against the cage or anything else. He was slowwwwwwww. Machida was not only fast, but extremely conservative *and* having (for the time) great TD defense.

It would have looked more like Machida/Tito, minus the triangle and with a few more landed strikes against Machida. Straightforward UD.

Griffin would have out worked him at that time. He didnt know any better and went for it. Machidas style would have not been elusive enough.

"Outworked him"? Forrest would have never even touched him.

Part of me disagrees because Bader randomly decided to charge in without feinting due to frustration. Personally, I feel like he gave up and said "fuck it," here.

He doesn't have the wresting to get it to the ground at all, or the speed to close distance effectively to clinch against the cage or anything else. He was slowwwwwwww. Machida was not only fast, but extremely conservative *and* having (for the time) great TD defense.

It would have looked more like Machida/Tito, minus the triangle and with a few more landed strikes against Machida. Straightforward UD.

Yeah, I'd say 70% chance of Machida winning by UD, 30% chance of a Machida KO via kick, counterpunch or flurry (like the Rashad fight). People forget what a puzzle Machida was and how fast/elusive he was. Forrest was just a hard-working, bread-and-butter fighter with decent MT but very little finishing power. He didn't have the speed, accuracy, power or unorthodox style needed to challenge prime Machida. And while Forrest beat Shogun and Rampage, he got finished by Jardine and Rashad. That really destroyed the "Pride is sooo much better than TUF" narrative at the time, LOL.

People are saying it would be like Griffin vs Silva but I think it would be much more like Machida vs Rampage. Forrest vs Silva was a crazy anomaly fight where crazy shit went down. Also Anderson and Lyoto has completely different style.

Back