Mae Geri - Karate front kick

The Mae Geri thrown like a strike however is a very important kick in Karate and very effective, but it's different to a push kick.

So I use the Karate Mae Geri (front kick) to strike and hurt the body, and the Muay Thai teep to push and put off balance.

Something i like to repost every time I think there is a confusion between front kick, push kick and teep:

"
-The front kick, you see it mostly in Karate and Taekwon-Do, you raise your knee and snap your foot upwards. You hit with the ball of the foot. (think uppercut) The foot is making an 90° angle with the leg at the contact.

-The teep is mostly use in Muay Thai. You raise your knee, but you use your hips to extend your foot forward. You hit with the ball of the foot. (think straight).
A lot of the power comes from the hip.
The foot is align with the leg at the contact.

For the push kick, the contact is made while the leg is still chambered. You push your opponent while you straightened your leg. Most of the sole of the foot is in contact. (think shove).
Most of the power comes from the extension of the leg, and not so much from the hip.
"

The unbalance of your opponent from a teep, comes from the timing (teep while he raises his leg to kick) or from the target (the hips, to make him bend at the waist), not so much from the technique itself. Otherwise it's more of a push kick, which it's not the same... Obviously, you can mix those 3 techniques, and make your teep more "pushy", or make your front kick a bit more like a straight teep kind of strike. Put technique wise, those are 3 different strikes...

Am not saying a teep wont unbalance your opponent, I just want to be clear that push kick, front kick and teep are different strikes... There is enough confusion from commentators, or even trainers about it...

Something i like to repost every time I think there is a confusion between front kick, push kick and teep:

"-The front kick, you see it mostly in Karate and Taekwon-Do, you raise your knee and snap your foot upwards. You hit with the ball of the foot. (think uppercut) The foot is making an 90° angle with the leg at the contact.

-The teep is mostly use in Muay Thai. You raise your knee, but you use your hips to extend your foot forward. You hit with the ball of the foot. (think straight).

For the push kick, the contact is made while the leg is still chambered. You push your opponent while you straightened your leg. Most of the sole of the foot is in contact. (think shove).
Most of the power comes from the extension of the leg, and not so much from the hip."

The unbalance of your opponent from a teep, comes from the timing (teep while he raises his leg to kick) or from the target (the hips, to make him bend at the waist), not so much from the technique itself. Otherwise it's more of a push kick, which it's not the same... Obviously, you can mix those 3 techniques, and make your teep more "pushy", or make your front kick a bit more like a straight teep kind of strike. Put technique wise, those are 3 different strikes...

Am not saying a teep wont unbalance your opponent, I just want to be clear that push kick, front kick and teep are different strikes... There is enough confusion from commentators, or even trainers about it...

There is no confusion between the way a Karate front kick (mae geri) is executed as opposed to typical Muay Thai teeps.

I'm sure you're aware that in Muay Thai there are different variations of the teep. I mean you have "teep trong", "teep jik", "teep duay sone', etc. All those variations you describe in your post are different types of teep.

What you call and describe as a "push kick" is also a type of "teep", it's the "teep duay sone" generally using the heel of the foot with the main purpose of putting off balance.

And I guess what you described as the teep is the "teep trong", using the ball of the foot and generally used as an attach to the stomach, chest or face or even to block incoming attacks.

The Muay Thai teeps you've come across are more advanced and better performed as it's a very important technique in MT and it's drilled a lot.

I mean I've done over 9 years of Karate combined between Shotokan and Kyokushin and I barely ever trained push kicks. The Mae Geri thrown like a strike however is a very important kick in Karate and very effective, but it's different to a push kick.

So I use the Karate Mae Geri (front kick) to strike and hurt the body, and the Muay Thai teep to push and put off balance.

Mae Geri is more like an uppercut really

@Tayski

Honestly, I'm kinda impress you know the names... And you're right, there are different teeps with different names, but most of the times, they teach you the classic thrusting one and use the generic term teep (thip) for it, instead of the precise one: thip trong.

What i wanted mostly to point out was that the classic teep may unbalance the opponent, but it has different mechanics than the one we commonly call push kick ("thip top" is the name i have in mind, but i might be wrong, never was big on remembering striking terminology. Between english, french, thai, and korean...fuck it... may as well become a karate geek).

The push kick's main purpose is to push back and/or unbalance the opponent. The main purpose of the 'classic" teep is to hurt (plaxus, face), or to stop the opponent from closing the distance (hips). Unless you throw it as a counter to a kick, the unbalance is mostly "bonus"...

I know you know the differences, but i just wanted to explain it for others who may read it, because there is a lot of confusion not only for the names, but for the mechanics and purposes of those kicks...

7' is average Sherdogger height

Average Sherdogger height on the up again.........must be the superior genetics of all them 10's we keep banging........it had to happen eventually........

Gotta be honest here: I though Mae Geri was going to be a hot chick.

"
-The front kick, you see it mostly in Karate and Taekwon-Do, you raise your knee and snap your foot upwards. You hit with the ball of the foot. (think uppercut) The foot is making an 90° angle with the leg at the contact.

- For the push kick, the contact is made while the leg is still chambered. You push your opponent while you straightened your leg. Most of the sole of the foot is in contact. (think shove).
Most of the power comes from the extension of the leg, and not so much from the hip.

"

Posts such as these should be collected somewhere as FAQs, really dig the simple yet precise explanation. Uppercut / Straight / Shove comparison hits the nail on the head IMO.

And yes, I'm aware that teeps come in different variations as well but it's the most common one we're talking about, much like Mae Geri Keage is the most common Karate front kick.

Gotta be honest here: I though Mae Geri was going to be a hot chick.
If you search hard enough you can find a hot chick doing a Mae Geri. ;)

front-kick-kickboxing-picture-id175393632

Posts such as these should be collected somewhere as FAQs, really dig the simple yet precise explanation. Uppercut / Straight / Shove comparison hits the nail on the head IMO.

Thanks, I try my best to educate people with the only knowledge they really need in life, the way of the Muay Thai... But it's been a hard journey, having to deal with AndyMaBobs, KB traitors, various Karatekas, and even Boxers...

Thanks, I try my best to educate people with the only knowledge they really need in life, the way of the Muay Thai... But it's been a hard journey, having to deal with AndyMaBobs, KB traitors, various Karatekas, and even Boxers...
Speaking of MT vs Karate... we just made an AV+SIG bet with @Tayski on the Till vs Wonderboy fight. If Wonderboy wins @Tayski gets Wonderboy in his av and "Karate > Muay Thai" in his sig for a month. :D

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/till-vs-wonderboy.3768057/#post-141455669

Have you forgotten about what happens to you if Darren Till wins? ☺️
I might as well since there's no chance he does. :D

But if he does, the punishment will be harsh enough for ever doubting him. :p At least he's a polite guy, no trash talk (that I've seen) so not hard to root for.

Speaking of MT vs Karate... we just made an AV+SIG bet with @Tayski on the Till vs Wonderboy fight. If Wonderboy wins @Tayski gets Wonderboy in his av and "Karate > Muay Thai" in his sig for a month. :D

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/till-vs-wonderboy.3768057/#post-141455669

Lol that's a brave bet to make. Your reputation is at stake. Can you imagine someone popping in to check your karate MMA fighters thread only to see MT > Karate & a pic of Darren Till in your AV?

They'd be horrified.

It could easily go either way. I personally think Wonderboy will win because Till won't have the size advantage like he did with Cerrone (which imo was a big factor) and he has more experience. I think as well Till's boxing defense is a bit suspect - I've seen sparring footage and he gets tagged with punches quite easily (I noticed as well he's very static defensively).

It could go either way though. Wonderboy is getting up there with mileage and Till is young/fresh. But I think it might be a step too far for him but I definitely think he'll be a future champ.

Lol that's a brave bet to make. Your reputation is at stake. Can you imagine someone popping in to check your karate MMA fighters thread only to see MT > Karate & a pic of Darren Till in your AV?

They'd be horrified.

It could easily go either way. I personally think Wonderboy will win because Till won't have the size advantage like he did with Cerrone (which imo was a big factor) and he has more experience. I think as well Till's boxing defense is a bit suspect - I've seen sparring footage and he gets tagged with punches quite easily (I noticed as well he's very static defensively).

It could go either way though. Wonderboy is getting up there with mileage and Till is young/fresh. But I think it might be a step too far for him but I definitely think he'll be a future champ.

Darren is from Merseyside, if Wonder Bread beats him, the whole of Merseyside will be climbing in the Octagon to get him....... including Darren's car stealing brother Barry in his shellsuit with his curly perm.........

Darren is from Merseyside, if Wonder Bread beats him, the whole of Merseyside will be climbing in the Octagon to get him....... including Darren's car stealing brother Barry in his shellsuit with his curly perm.........

I just realized that I'll be rooting against Liverpudlian Till but FOR Liverpool in the CL final tomorrow. :D

Back