Magic: The Gathering (MTG: Arena Beta is out now on PC)

Foppa21

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this. Did a quick search and nothing came up and well this ain't a video game (unless you count MtG Online or Arena).

Anyone here play? I've been playing on and off for the last couple of years. Really got into it again the last year or so as the sets took my interest.

***Mod Edit***
I merged the thread for the new Magic: The Gathering Arena with this one to bring together our Magic players on Sherdog.

Magic: Online
is their software built around the TCG game. It was built to help create a "live" game room where you could play as you do IRL, with your physical card library, but online against other owners. You could buy or trade these real cards. It was designed to be a digital extension of your physical card library.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/content/magic-online-products-game-info

Magic: The Gathering Arena is a CCG, and the first true digitization of the game intended to be played wholly online, and with digital libraries. It's much simpler and more accessible for beginners, and it's free-to-play like Hearthstone or other popular CCGs. The open beta is now out on PC:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena

Here is a comparison of the two digital formats:
Nerdmuch? MTG Arena vs. MTGO: The Pros & Cons of Each (2018)

Magic Duels was abandoned by WOTC and should be avoided.

Last edited by a moderator:
Play Magic Duels on XBONE on the reg. Arena looks dope but I barely use my PC.

Just recently got back into it after leaving during Mirrodin block. A lot of new effects, different archetypes, same old Standard. If it's not Legacy or Modern, I don't fuck with it.

My friends and I usually buy/draft a box for each new set that comes out.

Pay a few times a month on average.

Have close to 50k cards.

Nope, but it seems like an absolute swindle if you want to be any good.

Its basically loot boxes IRL.

Just recently got back into it after leaving during Mirrodin block. A lot of new effects, different archetypes, same old Standard. If it's not Legacy or Modern, I don't fuck with it.

I'm similar. I've played more off than on through the years. Really enjoyed Return to Ravnica. Theros and Return to Zendikar turned me off so I didn't play. Started playing again in Aether Revolt and Amonkhet times. Dominaria is great and jumping headfirst back in with Guilds of Ravnica.

The one I missed playing through my down time was the Khans of Tarkir block and Shadows over Inistrad block. Looking for boxes of Khans so I can draft it.

I can't afford Legacy. Have a 2 modern decks but the land base alone was a brutal buy

Nope, but it seems like an absolute swindle if you want to be any good.

Its basically loot boxes IRL.

Normally, if you have a particular deck in mind, you'd buy singles instead of boosters. Boosters can supplement a card base or serve as the foundation for a deck, but you're almost certainly going to have to buy singles to do what you're going to want to do.

If a single gets high level play in the constructed formats, it tends to affect the price. Most cards are a pittance (Less than a dollar), but certain lynchpin cards can really test your budget. I'm building a deck that is ~$1100, but the majority of the value is in Cavern of Souls (4 @ $72.00), Mutavault (4 @ $12.99), and Aether Vial (4 @ $39.99). Granted, this is for an extremely specific deck archetype that's tournament legal. It's going to be overkill for any casual games I play. There are budget decks (Less than $100) that would suit most people perfectly fine.

I'm similar. I've played more off than on through the years. Really enjoyed Return to Ravnica. Theros and Return to Zendikar turned me off so I didn't play. Started playing again in Aether Revolt and Amonkhet times. Dominaria is great and jumping headfirst back in with Guilds of Ravnica.

The one I missed playing through my down time was the Khans of Tarkir block and Shadows over Inistrad block. Looking for boxes of Khans so I can draft it.

I can't afford Legacy. Have a 2 modern decks but the land base alone was a brutal buy

I play legacy with some of my older decks, but I don't expect to win anything. It's a fun format if you don't mind losing or if you're rich. Modern is good enough for any kind of competitive play to me. You can be viable with less substantial investments.

Normally, if you have a particular deck in mind, you'd buy singles instead of boosters. Boosters can supplement a card base or serve as the foundation for a deck, but you're almost certainly going to have to buy singles to do what you're going to want to do.

If a single gets high level play in the constructed formats, it tends to affect the price. Most cards are a pittance (Less than a dollar), but certain lynchpin cards can really test your budget. I'm building a deck that is ~$1100, but the majority of the value is in Cavern of Souls (4 @ $72.00), Mutavault (4 @ $12.99), and Aether Vial (4 @ $39.99). Granted, this is for an extremely specific deck archetype that's tournament legal. It's going to be overkill for any casual games I play. There are budget decks (Less than $100) that would suit most people perfectly fine.

I play legacy with some of my older decks, but I don't expect to win anything. It's a fun format if you don't mind losing or if you're rich. Modern is good enough for any kind of competitive play to me. You can be viable with less substantial investments.

Agreed.. Don't buy boosters to crack. Boosters are for drafting.

My purchases for the 18-24 months for modern decks that had me reconsidering life choices:

• 3 Cavern of Souls (I'm not sure I got the 4 for a set)
  • 4 Scalding Tarns
  • 4 Snapcaster Mages
Modern is fun and fairly even. I played Elves in a tournament a few months ago. Didn't have the Caverns yet. I beat Jund which cost way more but got absolutely humiliated by 8 rack which cost the guy like $100 the day before to put together lol.

Picked it back up after stopping in 2000/2001 last year. I started in 95 and still have my old collection. I have been buying a box or two of each set that comes out. I bought 4 boxes of modern masters 17 last year for around $170 each. Everyone said i was an idiot for spending $700 on cards but they're worth over $350 each now... i opened one and pulled a Liliana too... recently pulled a few masterpiece cards from Amonkhet boosters and have pulled the top cards in all the recent sets (i'm pretty "lucky")... good times... unfortunately due to my job i rarely play but when i do i prefer Commander, paupers fun too. I've also been tossing around the idea of making a custom format with the only rule being no cards with converted casting cost over 3 or maybe even 2...

Picked it back up after stopping in 2000/2001 last year. I started in 95 and still have my old collection. I have been buying a box or two of each set that comes out. I bought 4 boxes of modern masters 17 last year for around $170 each. Everyone said i was an idiot for spending $700 on cards but they're worth over $350 each now... i opened one and pulled a Liliana too... recently pulled a few masterpiece cards from Amonkhet boosters and have pulled the top cards in all the recent sets (i'm pretty "lucky")... good times... unfortunately due to my job i rarely play but when i do i prefer Commander, paupers fun too. I've also been tossing around the idea of making a custom format with the only rule being no cards with converted casting cost over 3 or maybe even 2...

I can't do Commander. There's too much going on for my brain to handle and I miss way too many triggers.

Nah. Wizards is toast. Their card quality is a joke, the people who run the company are SJW retards and they all hate white men. Dig into it.

Don't support that cancer company. Play Final Fantasy TCG or Force of Will instead.... Or Hearthstone.

I play edh mostly. IF i get the day off from work and game at Ai or twin suns or eclectic cave. They're the names of the Magic stores.

My morning routine is big cup of coffee, low music and MtG playtesting. Soothing stuff man.

I've switched to Eternal. LSV and Patrick Chapin are part of the dev team and it's been great so far. It's as if MTG had a baby with Hearthstone's client.

WotC just can't seem to get it right and at this point I can't be bothered to give them anymore money. MTGO is straight up trash. MTGA to my knowledge isn't going to have any kind of Legacy support so no reason to go there if you're already deep in paper MTG or MTGO. The paper side of things isn't much better either. The cardstock sucks, the product is uninteresting (Return to return to Ravinica LOL), competitive play is compromised by cheaters and even the ones that get caught are out a year at best, not to mention the prize pools are fucking abysmal.

They should have gone all the way with MTGA from the get go.

the product is uninteresting (Return to return to Ravinica LOL)
On top of returning to Ravnica way the hell too soon, the card design is terrible this set lol. The split cards make zero sense, the names of most of the cards are bad, and there aren't a lot of interesting things going on. I have zero interest in even casually following this one.

I'm building a deck that is ~$1100, but the majority of the value is in Cavern of Souls (4 @ $72.00), Mutavault (4 @ $12.99), and Aether Vial (4 @ $39.99). Granted, this is for an extremely specific deck archetype that's tournament legal. It's going to be overkill for any casual games I play. There are budget decks (Less than $100) that would suit most people perfectly fine.
Merfolk or Goblins?

Merfolk or Goblins?
Kwvr4mW.jpg

:sniper:

On top of returning to Ravnica way the hell too soon, the card design is terrible this set lol. The split cards make zero sense, the names of most of the cards are bad, and there aren't a lot of interesting things going on. I have zero interest in even casually following this one.

Their product has been the drizzling shits for a while now, imo. I fell out of standard as Innistrad was coming in and stopped playing limited regularly soon after. Mainly doing house drafts and the occasional FNM draft since, I wasn't involved enough to really care. Iconic Masters killed what little faith I had left in them. That set should have had everybody's dick hard but it was straight garbage at a premium price.

WotC is just cash grabbing in my eyes.

Only card games I have played so far is Gwent and Elder Scrolls legends.

Back