Magny Last Night (Still my boy rant!!)

You're going to leave out that one of those losses was actually a win in a welterweight title fight?

He looked incredible against Lawler
Condit won that fight against lawler (IMO) and that was the last time he looked motivated to be in the cage. Guy needs to retire badly at this point.

He looked like a deer in the headlights after that first strike hurt his eye.

Sort of froze up, and was timid.

Agreed, likely an eye injury or concussion. His coaches might have done him a major disservice by letting him continue.

Exactly what Barbarian says, OP. He was hurt very early and never recovered. And he shot for a few takedowns but they were easily stuffed. But when you can't see and can't stand on one leg, how quick is your shot gonna be? Ponzi has underrated grappling and with his level of striking that guy is a problem. Worst part of it was that Ponzi could have ended that fight whenever he wanted but you could tell he wanted to sleep Magny for the home country and boy did he. Extremely impressive performance from Ponzi and they need to stop babying him with competition like Mike fucking Perry. Give this man Till or Wonderboy next
yeah, I agree.
But as happy as I was to "discover" Ponzi, it was hard to watch Magni like this.
he has always been a guy who methodically overcomes the initial pressure then takes over... I guess I was more surprise by his ineffectiveness that I didn't appreciate Ponzi enough.

Magny’s a solid fighter and a stand-up human being.

Maybe Ponzi is that good.

yes, I agree.
Even though I did follow Ponzi since TUF, I didn't think he would be at Magny's level....Maybe I just expected too much out of Magny, but I thought (if Magny could latch himself onto Ponzi), he could take Ponzi's striking game.
I guess I didn't appreciate Ponzi enough.

It could have been a KO sparring in camp. That happens every now and then.
He could have just gotten hit with a shot that was harder than he expected.

I have to admit that I am largely biased as Magny is probably my favorite fighter at WW. He is a military veteran, an incredibly humble man, and fought Carlos Condit right after his brother past away and didn't say a word about it until after the fight when he broke out in tears.

With that said, although I did feel that Ponz would win the fight, I did not feel that Magny employed an effective strategy. He should have known that if he was going to win the fight, his best odds would be to utilize his wrestling and top game which have won him the majority of his many wins in the WW division. Had he fought as he did against Condit and Gastelum, I feel he would have had a better chance at winning the fight. However, despite his top notch stamina, his durability has to be brought up into question yet again. He fought with a ton of heart going over 3 rounds after being beaten rather soundly to the legs and the eye, but it was early on in the fight that he started fighting very compromised. I do not want to underestimate the potential damage done to his eye from the jab early on, but it reminded me somewhat of his fight against Lorenz Larkin.

I tip my hate to Ponz, however, for a phenominal performance. He looked great from top to bottom. I really wanted to see his ground game exercised as we have not seen him use his grappling for a long time now, but he put on a flawless fight in my opinion and realy elevated his (already high) stock. There's some good match ups ahead for him. I still believe he isn't quite ready for a title shot due to his recent inactivity and dearth of wins against top 10 opposition, but he is right there at the top. I'd like to see him fight either Leon Edwards or Stephen Thompson next personally.

Magny was ....off last night.

One of the things I noticed, is that he never even tried to grapple.
Hold Ponzi, push him against the cage or take him down.

the only attempt I saw was after his legs were gone and it was a feeble attempt to pull guard ffs.

Anyone thinks this was an odd fight from Magny?

I mean the dude was able to withstand punches from Hector Lombard, Kelvin and Johnny hemndricks...but Ponzi took him out of his game completely???
I don't know. Maybe an undisclosed injury, maybe he was just off.... but I am not sure we saw the best Magny we could have seen... I am not sure Ponzi could repeat this fight

I also had the feeling something wasn't right with Magny. I thought it was because of the damage to the right eye from that initial shot and then of course the legkicks as the fight progressed, but he really looked sort of passive and gunshy right off the bat.

I think he went in with a plan to weather a storm for a couple rounds and try to wear Ponzi out, and just never really got around to it because the pressure was constant, the strikes hurt more than he thought they would, and he didn't wear himself out.

He looked like a deer in the headlights after that first strike hurt his eye.

Sort of froze up, and was timid.
Yep. Either his orbital bone got damaged or the punch hit him in the open eye. Nate said that happened to him vs. Benson (punch in the eye) and took him out of the fight from round one.

Magny was just the lesser fighter.
His career is based of starving his 6'3 body into this division.
Nearly Jon Jones height at welter weight.
Which gives him incredible cardio, because he has less muscle mass.
His striking is atrocious and he only landed his jab because of his reach.

His best wins:
0:4 Carlos Condit after a layoff
Hendricks who got koed at bareknuckle
Got destroyed by Lombard who gassed out. Fight could've been stopped twice.

Outpaced Gastelum is his best win

Magny was ....off last night.

One of the things I noticed, is that he never even tried to grapple.
Hold Ponzi, push him against the cage or take him down.

the only attempt I saw was after his legs were gone and it was a feeble attempt to pull guard ffs.

Anyone thinks this was an odd fight from Magny?

I mean the dude was able to withstand punches from Hector Lombard, Kelvin and Johnny hemndricks...but Ponzi took him out of his game completely???
I don't know. Maybe an undisclosed injury, maybe he was just off.... but I am not sure we saw the best Magny we could have seen... I am not sure Ponzi could repeat this fight
It was very odd. Something seemed off. But Im glad it turned out like that. I hate freakishly tall fighters who are up and down. If you have that big of an advantage win out. He's like 6'4 as a ww. Either win or get destroyed.

Hurt that eye badly fairly early in the fight and the leg kicks took him out of the game.

Magny is a competent fight but 'great' at nothing. His big weapons are his physical size/reach and absurdly good cardio.

He'll always win-some-lose-some against good fighters. This is why the RDA welterweight hype was way off base, he just came up the easy side of the ladder. Tarec is a nice guy but in no way a UFC caliber fighter, and Magny is a solid but unremarkable win.

Ponz is going to be a problem for a lot of fighters because he's a bit limited, but tough as nails and wants to compete and win.

You're going to leave out that one of those losses was actually a win in a welterweight title fight?

He looked incredible against Lawler

Ehhhh... a punch drunk Lawler isn't much to brag home about. After that fight he was slept by Woodley, arguably lost against Cowboy, and was mauled by RDA, he should be on a 3-fight losing streak as well. I'm not saying it wasn't a good fight it sure as hell was, I was just saying that calling Condit one of the elite strikers in the division now when he's only notched 2 wins across 9 fights since 2012 is a bit farfetch'd. I'd have to go back and watch but pretty sure Demian Maia rocked Condit and then double legged him. Either way, he's just not the same fighter anymore unfortunately.

Magny isn't elite but that's what I like about him because he's an overachiever. I didn't think much of him on TUF but he started fighting constantly and got some solid wins and some unexpected ones. He's good for the sport but I set my expectations realistically. That KO was brutal though.

Back