Maia Prayer Vigil

Maia is 39 (I think). What do you guys want to see him do now. Keep fighting and try to work his way back up. He hasn't taken much damage but his athleticism can only go down from here.

Make an ADCC run? Just compete in the gi? Run a school in the states somewhere and try to bring up some youngsters?

Maia is 39 (I think). What do you guys want to see him do now. Keep fighting and try to work his way back up. He hasn't taken much damage but his athleticism can only go down from here.

Make an ADCC run? Just compete in the gi? Run a school in the states somewhere and try to bring up some youngsters?

he wouldnt be as competitve in ADCC anymore.

He can keep on fighting, he will beat cerrone and thompson quite soundly imo, lawler will be a good fight too.

he wouldnt be as competitve in ADCC anymore.

He can keep on fighting, he will beat cerrone and thompson quite soundly imo, lawler will be a good fight too.

Yeah, he can still get some nice paychecks in the UFC. Might as well get paid. And his style is pretty good about not getting hit in the head a lot.

When Babalu came doing a seminar in my school like three years ago he did a wonderful job explaining how the hips should be truly used to stop a takedown in a way more different and brutal way than just the usual basic sprawl.. I guess it's similar to what you are saying here as it felt like being punched in the face by hips and the concept was indeed quite a novelty for me and many others, even if it's a bit hard to believe to me that someone the level of Maia was alien to this concept to the point of him being mentally broke down so hard byt it..
It doesn't matter if it's completely alien or not.. when you run into someone like Woodley and you don't train with someone with hips like that "regularly" it doesn't have to "break" you. All it has to do is make you hesitate that extra split second and miss opportunities because you don't reaallly want to run straight into that again. Or you try to make sure your setup or shot is "perfect" to get through it, so instead of just fighting you are thinking.

And think about it.. not only was Maia not getting takedowns right away.. there were consequences. He was paying for it and honestly it sometimes feels worst to get fed hips like that and stonewalled than to get punched.. not even joking

And yes you don't really have a true idea of what it feels like coming from someone like Woodley. Beyond like you said a seminar not training it full speed with people who understand it intimately like Woodley

This is what people who've never trained or competed at a high level don't get.. you don't have to "break" to get put out of it mentally.. all it takes is getting a certain feel that makes you hesitate or get frustrated or Leary to go straight back into it or be just tired enough you can't execute well enough to finish

Or somehow have no idea what I'm talking about and Maia just gave up because he got "discouraged"

I doubt Woodley's hips hitting him bothered a veteran of like 40 MMA fights all that much, but the way he was stuffing the TDs without getting out of position to strike made every attempt very dangerous for Maia. Almost every time he shot TW was ready with the right underhook and it meant that he didn't have to turn his back to limp leg or fully sprawl, which in turn meant that on the exit Maia was a sitting duck for half a second. Well, that's way too long against someone with power like Woodley's, and I think that fear of getting cracked off the failed TD was a big part (along with energy management) or what kept Maia away. Look how cagey he was in terms of trying to back Tyron up to the fence and clinch with him, which is usually his best method of getting TDs (not that power double he repeatedly went to here); that was almost certainly because we was worried that getting into the pocket was going to get him rocked, and he was probably right.

This fight sucked for two reasons: the first is that Maia, upon figuring out he couldn't get Woodley down without significant risk, basically chose not to take that risk and kept waiting for Woodley to over commit to where he wouldn't be able to keep Maia off his hips on a reactive shot. The second reason is that Woodley, knowing the only way he was going to get taken down was by over committing and trying to finish Maia but that he could easily box him up with pot shots and win a decision chose to let Maia back him up the fence, threw a right as his feet edged the cage to scare Maia off, and then whether he landed or not he refused to follow Maia past the center of the octagon so you just ended up with the same series repeating itself over and over: Maia throws weak jabs while edging forward, TW edges back, when Tyron's back foot gets close the cage he fires a few shots and explodes forward which causes Maia to back straight up a few feet (God forbid anyone angle off in this fight), Woodley stops as Maia backs off, and Maia comes forward with probing jabs. Repeat for the middle 3 of the 5 rounds.
I'm not saying he's "never" felt hips like that before but if you combine the fact that he was getting fed hips like that which always sucks, plus getting punched on the way up and out made him gun shy just enough that he was hesitating not broken hesitating. Served within the context of the fight to condition him that him shooting was going to have much more significant consequences than usual to make him hesitate. And I'm willing to bet very few people have had hips like Woodley that he fought

It doesn't matter if it's completely alien or not.. when you run into someone like Woodley and you don't train with someone with hips like that "regularly" it doesn't have to "break" you. All it has to do is make you hesitate that extra split second and miss opportunities because you don't reaallly want to run straight into that again. Or you try to make sure your setup or shot is "perfect" to get through it, so instead of just fighting you are thinking.

And think about it.. not only was Maia not getting takedowns right away.. there were consequences. He was paying for it and honestly it sometimes feels worst to get fed hips like that and stonewalled than to get punched.. not even joking

And yes you don't really have a true idea of what it feels like coming from someone like Woodley. Beyond like you said a seminar not training it full speed with people who understand it intimately like Woodley

This is what people who've never trained or competed at a high level don't get.. you don't have to "break" to get put out of it mentally.. all it takes is getting a certain feel that makes you hesitate or get frustrated or Leary to go straight back into it or be just tired enough you can't execute well enough to finish

Or somehow have no idea what I'm talking about and Maia just gave up because he got "discouraged"

Maybe I'm not explaining myself properly.. I mentioned the seminar to just further the point of Bjj guys (me included at least until that point) generally not knowing much about being punched by hips.. I even called it "brutal".. doesn't seem to me I'm underestimating it or not making justice to it

On Maia I may have misunderstood you and I kinda agree with what you're saying.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself properly.. I mentioned the seminar to just further the point of Bjj guys (me included at least until that point) generally not knowing much about being punched by hips.. I even called it "brutal".. doesn't seem to me I'm underestimating it or not making justice to it

On Maia I may have misunderstood you and I kinda agree with what you're saying.
I gotcha

Do you understand what the word discourage means? It is to lose confidence or enthusiasm. What you are describing with him in bold is literally a characteristic of being discouraged. I'm not sure why you are taking such issue with it. It's no secret that Maia's best chance in the fight was getting the fight to the ground. I'm sure getting shut down seven times in the first round would discourage most fighters.

Also, Woodley's plan was to create difficulties when Maia went for takedowns. Translation: Woodley's plan was to discourage Maia's takedown attempts. I think you need to look more into what the word means.

Wasn't this a failure of Maia not changing his takedow MO? He shot right to the very last seconds but all lower body attempts. He couldn't become K1 Maia but surely Shields Maia qas not that much of a stretch? Maybe his fight IQ failed him more than his tech. Like what was his plan b if the single didn't work, did he or his corner even have one.

Wasn't this a failure of Maia not changing his takedow MO? He shot right to the very last seconds but all lower body attempts. He couldn't become K1 Maia but surely Shields Maia qas not that much of a stretch? Maybe his fight IQ failed him more than his tech. Like what was his plan b if the single didn't work, did he or his corner even have one.

I think he was afraid to walk through the pocket to try and clinch because of the counter. He felt the power and went to only jabbing or shooting from distance.

I think he was afraid to walk through the pocket to try and clinch because of the counter. He felt the power and went to only jabbing or shooting from distance.

I don't think that's true from memory. I thought Maia did a good job of threatening with the takedown and backing him up to the wall so that he could throw bombs without his opponent backing up. That's always a plan B for wrestlers - using the takedown threat so that you can take liberties with power striking. Maia threw a ton of bombs. He just wasn't good enough to connect with them, against this guy.

I don't think that's true from memory. I thought Maia did a good job of threatening with the takedown and backing him up to the wall so that he could throw bombs without his opponent backing up. That's always a plan B for wrestlers - using the takedown threat so that you can take liberties with power striking. Maia threw a ton of bombs. He just wasn't good enough to connect with them, against this guy.

I don't think he threw a ton of bombs. That's a big overstatement. He threw maybe 5-10 punches with anything on them the whole fight. And I don't think Maia really backed him up all that effectively, TW just backs up himself in all his fights. For whatever reason, he just didn't use the clinch enough and it ended up costing him.

Do you understand what the word discourage means? It is to lose confidence or enthusiasm. What you are describing with him in bold is literally a characteristic of being discouraged. I'm not sure why you are taking such issue with it. It's no secret that Maia's best chance in the fight was getting the fight to the ground. I'm sure getting shut down seven times in the first round would discourage most fighters.

Also, Woodley's plan was to create difficulties when Maia went for takedowns. Translation: Woodley's plan was to discourage Maia's takedown attempts. I think you need to look more into what the word means.
Oh my god... what is it about bjj people and getting obnoxiously pedantic so they can ignore the actual point. Not to mention your little passive aggressive condescending tone.. when everyone else including the person I was talking to understood my point..

While yes one can use the word "discourage" to describe it... The way people were saying it was in a way that doesn't really accurately depict what happened in the fight or Maia's bbody language

They were describing it in a way of "well I know it didn't work but he obviously could have shot more" like all Woodley was doing was stiff arming a limp legging and not Making Maia pay and not visibly changing how Maia did things compared to every other fight when he's struggled at fist to get takedowns.

And the more accurate term is Maia got "punished" for his takedown attempts and Woodley was looking to punish him for even trying more just discourage it.. which is a vastly different approach mentality.. believe it or not

So yes mr. Pedantic.. you can technically say that the word "discourage" could have been used. However the way it was used didn't reflect what happened

Do you know what it means to go. Ack and actually read?

Last edited:
I'm not saying he's "never" felt dicks like that before but if you combine the fact that he was getting fed dicks like that which always sucks, plus getting punched on the way up and out made him gun shy just enough that he was hesitating not broken hesitating. Served within the context of the fight to condition him that him shooting was going to have much more significant consequences than usual to make him hesitate. And I'm willing to bet very few people have had dicks like Woodley that he fought

That is so gay

thread needs to die..

tenor.gif

That is so gay
It is absolutely amazing how people are reacting like middle school girls to any perceived slight of Maia... especially when I'm not: just explaining what I saw in the fight. Jesus you want to get your panties in a wad about something else

It is absolutely amazing how people are reacting like middle school girls to any perceived slight of Maia... especially when I'm not: just explaining what I saw in the fight. Jesus you want to get your panties in a wad about something else

Read my post again, you might have missed the part that i played around with your quote :)

Read my post again, you might have missed the part that i played around with your quote :)
No, I saw it. It's not my fault you either don't understand what my original point was or your mad I'm not worshipping Maia. Either way it was pathetic and juvenile

Lol wtf, lighten upp man.
Just cause i had some fun with your wording doesnt mean i dont agree.
Dem hips dont lye :p

Im sad that maia got beat too, doesnt break my mood though.
Its just a freaking game.

Back