Maia Prayer Vigil

Lol wtf, lighten upp man.
Just cause i had some fun with your wording doesnt mean i dont agree.
Dem hips dont lye :p

Im sad that maia got beat too, doesnt break my mood though.
Its just a freaking game.
Fair enough

So according to this and Maia himself, he wasn't able to train at Edge Hoboken in preparation for this fight.

Knowing the sort of person Maia is, im willing to bet it was something like precommitted seminar schedules that he didn't want to renege on. If it were me i would have just dropped everything and gone strait to the lab right away. Fuck it. You think maybe those people would have traded seminars with 'UFC fighter Demian Maia' now, if it might possibly have meant seminars with 'UFC Champion Demian Maia' later? You don't do any good when you're too nice for your own good.

As the great modern poet Eminem observed: this opportunity comes once in a lifetime.

Last edited:
So when is stuffing a TD going to be scored like executing a TD is?
Clearly TWood proved that's a valid dominance establishing skill.

So when is stuffing a TD going to be scored like executing a TD is?
Clearly TWood proved that's a valid dominance establishing skill.

Probably the same time dodging punches and escaping submissions get scored.

Which is to say, never.

Last edited:
The same time dodging punches and escaping submissions get scored.

Which is to say, never.
So UFC will always favor grappling. The old rules were supposed to score defensive tactics, but clearly ignored that requirement.

So UFC will always favor grappling.

Anyone who says the current rules favor grappling doesn't know what they are talking about.

The mere existence of round interruptions and phenomena like 'referee standups' are hugely impactful things that completely change the dynamic of the game.

The old rules were supposed to score defensive tactics, but clearly ignored that requirement.

Don't pull shit out of your ass.

Anyone who says the current rules favor grappling doesn't know what they are talking about.

The mere existence of round interruptions and phenomena like 'referee standups' are hugely impactful things that completely change the dynamic of the game.

Don't pull shit out of your ass.
Your shit's the only thing stinking up the place.

I'm on a tablet in cause I had my hip resurfaced last week and not at my desktop where I have the rules bookmarked just for little pencil neck dweebs like you to prove u r the shit stink.

I forgot what section it's under so pull your hand out of your ass and look it up, ROOKIE!

Your shit's the only thing stinking up the place.

I'm on a tablet in cause I had my hip resurfaced last week and not at my desktop where I have the rules bookmarked just for little pencil neck dweebs like you to prove u r the shit stink.

I forgot what section it's under so pull your hand out of your ass and look it up, ROOKIE!

You only get points for winning. No points for not losing.

Anyways Maia would never have taken him down. He met the limit of his abilities. A strong wrestler who can strike.

He should keep fighting as a gatekeeper and make his 200k per fight.

So according to this and Maia himself, he wasn't able to train at Edge Hoboken in preparation for this fight.

Knowing the sort of person Maia is, im willing to bet it was something like precommitted seminar schedules that he didn't want to renege on. If it were me i would have just dropped everything and gone strait to the lab right away. Fuck it. You don't do any good when you're too nice for your own good. You think those people would have traded seminars with 'UFC fighter Demian Maia' now, if it might possibly have meant seminars with 'UFC Champion Demian Maia' later? I'd be willing to take that bet too.

As the great modern poet Eminem observed: this opportunity comes once in a lifetime.

The precomitted event was an "association" training camp/workshop in LA. All his affiliates were represented there. Demian is really starting to focus on the future of his affiliation. I think he knows his days are limited in the octagon and really wants to build a strong competitive team with a core of fantastic instructors that really represent his style and love of Jiu Jitsu.

IMG_0070.JPG
May your takedowns be strong
Your sweeps be swift
And your chokes be tight

In Demian's name we pray

2013121303.jpg

Dear holy son of strangulation,

Please restrict the respiratory system of this imbecile heretic who dares to speak of using thy craft against thy-self.

Please do not let this blasphemy go unpunished.

Tonight, let the blood of the lamb send a message to all those who oppose thy Welter Lordship...

May the spirit of all your BJJ brethren only further empower you...

In Demian name we pray....

Aaaaaaaaaaammmmmmeeeennnnn.

Last edited:
Maia should have taken a look at Ryan Hall's gameplan. Shooting won't always work against a superior wrestler.

The way i see it the real hole in Maia's game is a lack of strong clinch fighting. There's no 'glue' or 'in between' for him to do work in.

Incidentally, i would also say that would be Covington's best shot vs TWood too.

A fallen god. It was really frustrating to see him penetrate deep with some really well timed shots, but cease all forward pressure and not follow through. Maybe it's my lack of wrestling knowledge, or Covington has some real subtle defenses that are hard to pick up, but I felt like he let him off the hook several times. It looked very different than when he fought Woodley and was never allowed to get nearly as deep on the hips.

I'd love the perspective of an experienced wrestler on how those opportunities might have better been capitalized on.

Maia got the two worst match ups for him in the division in a row. He is still amazing at 40 years old he is fighting dominant wrestlers that do everything they can to disengage from grappling with him. He is a legend. I don't think he is done yet I think he will leave the sport on his terms.

I'm probably also going to quit my life and train jiu jitsu under him when he stops fighting and trains full time.

Lines of defense in wrestling
1) head
2) hands/arms
3) hips
4) legs/feet

Against Woolley demian couldn't get past his hips and Woolley was using them heavy to stop the shot
Colby was using a combo of his hips, less offensively, and his footwork to really hinder Maia to get any real momentum after penetration. I teach my middle schoolers to do the same thing.

Back