Majority of Republicans now think college is bad

Of course right wingers despise higher education. It clashes with their personality. Right Wing Authoritarians are motivated by their fear. They follow any authority that promises to quell that fear, protect them, etc. The dispassionate inquiry of higher education is antithetical to the right winger’s impassioned cocoon of emotional subservience to authority. That's why they hate science as well. Therefore higher education is a boondoggle and indoctrination of some sort. It’s hard to tell really bc the right winger uses language loosely and thinks so sloppily.

Don't hide behind real degrees and majors. Let's face it graduating with a bullshit lib arts major does not make you any more educated/wiser/open minded than someone who didn't go to college.

So I would have to read research done by people from these links? Have you done it? What would it have to say in the research for you to confirm that it's postmodern?

I'm actually prepared to do this challenge of yours that'll take hours or days to complete. But you need to tell me exactly what are the indicators of postmodern research according to you. I want to be time efficient.

It'd have to be devoid, or mostly devoid, of data and filled with tons of jargon, overly complicated words, very little substance. Most importantly, it'd have to have a strong presence in many of scholars' works.

And no, I haven't done it for those departments that I quoted since I just got them off the top of my head. However, I have for the department where I did my grad school work and it's from there that I get the idea that its influence and presence are wildly overemphasized.

Imho the pay gap will gradually disappear as more people graduate college with bullshit degrees that doesn't train them for the real world.

Statistically, it's been doing the complete opposite. If anything, it's becoming more important to get a degree.

A lot of jobs require a 4 year degree (regardless of what degree). Those with a higher education get preferential treatment in the workforce.

That being said, many times these college students are starting out in massive debt as well, so it's not all rainbows and sunshine.

Going to college is what you make out of it. It does not guarantee you anything. To generalize college is good or bad is just nonsense. There are many degrees/majors out there that do not lead you to a career field and vice versa. There are many careers that require college education as prerequisite so there is no other way around it. You could argue the cost benefit of a college education, but IMO that applies at an individual basis. Each scenario varies.

I can give many one-sided biased examples of successful people I personally know with higher education and others that didn't even graduate high school. Doesn't mean college is good or bad.

Statistically, it's been doing the complete opposite. If anything, it's becoming more important to get a degree.

A lot of jobs require a 4 year degree (regardless of what degree). Those with a higher education get preferential treatment in the workforce.

That being said, many times these college students are starting out in massive debt as well, so it's not all rainbows and sunshine.

that trend is going to change back over time, heck i see it in real time. These kids who when to college and graduated with a "liberal arts degree" are finding only barista jobs/servers/ect. There was a time when a 4 year college degree used to mean that the person was educated/cultured/eloquent/open minded. That time is long gone, now these liberal arts grads are bitter/horrible debaters/ pouters/not any more cultured than the non college grad.

College is for pictures glued together for art class.

I know I partly got my job because I have a 4 year degree but I am literally one of 2 people in the office that has one (not counting my two bosses).

It sucks being under 30 and taking orders from people in their 50s that don't even have a 2 year degree and can barely do their own jobs.

that trend is going to change back over time, heck i see it in real time. These kids who when to college and graduated with a "liberal arts degree" are finding only barista jobs/servers/ect. There was a time when a 4 year college degree used to mean that the person was educated/cultured/eloquent/open minded. That time is long gone, now these liberal arts grads are bitter/horrible debaters/ pouters/not any more cultured than the non college grad.
I have a PoliSci degree (liberal arts section of the school) and work in the Court system so... yeah, not all of us go serve coffee.

The GOP has been denigrating higher learning insituions for decades. Of course their voting base believes this. It's what they've been programmed to believe.

Hell, college is where some Jew turns your kid into a transsexual prosittiue.

I have a PoliSci degree (liberal arts section of the school) and work in the Court system so... yeah, not all of us go serve coffee.

You don't have a bullshit lib arts degree but an actual degree.

Sadly higher education like almost everything else in the United States is all about making money so we have been sold on the idea that to get a great job you need to graduate with a degree.. any degree and that simply isn't true but we believe it. There are certain jobs that absolutely require formal training/education leading to degrees (doctors for example) but others... not so much. The entire education system should be revamped because we aren't teaching our kids properly early on (but that's an entire different topic worthy of discussion) leading to a vast majority of them bumbling and fumbling their way into college studying a degree they or may not like.

I think liberal arts schools/degrees get a bad rep in America only because it is so wildly expensive to go to college. A small percentage of liberal arts degrees are less than useful or difficult to find a job but overall it covers a wide range of extremely useful and necessary professions. People like to shit on Liberal art majors but we are talking about almost any form of entertainment will involve someone with a liberal arts major.

Mark Cuban has stated that liberal arts will become important in the near future.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mark-cuban-liberal-arts-is-the-future-2017-2

As an engineer involved in manufacturing production I agree with him although I think the demand will start a bit later than 10 years from now. Automation is the future. It will take time but eventually the majority of the jobs will be taken by automated systems. Manufacturing and retail are the starting points but eventually almost any jobs (including mine) can and will be replaced by automation. so what will be in demand are people who can work well with automation. People that can adjust and think creatively outside the box - hence people with liberal arts degree. Will you need a liberal arts degree to succeed in this near future? Of course not. But I predict that liberal arts education/training will be a hot commodity in 20-30 years from now.

Sadly higher education like almost everything else in the United States is all about making money so we have been sold on the idea that to get a great job you need to graduate with a degree.. any degree and that simply isn't true but we believe it. There are certain jobs that absolutely require formal training/education leading to degrees (doctors for example) but others... not so much. The entire education system should be revamped because we aren't teaching our kids properly early on (but that's an entire different topic worthy of discussion) leading to a vast majority of them bumbling and fumbling their way into college studying a degree they or may not like.

I think liberal arts schools/degrees get a bad rep in America only because it is so wildly expensive to go to college. A small percentage of liberal arts degrees are less than useful or difficult to find a job but overall it covers a wide range of extremely useful and necessary professions. People like to shit on Liberal art majors but we are talking about almost any form of entertainment will involve someone with a liberal arts major.

Mark Cuban has stated that liberal arts will become important in the near future.

As an engineer involved in manufacturing production I agree with him although I think the demand will start a bit later than 10 years from now. Automation is the future. It will take time but eventually the majority of the jobs will be taken by automated systems. Manufacturing and retail are the starting points but eventually almost any jobs (including mine) can and will be replaced by automation. so what will be in demand are people who can work well with automation. People that can adjust and think creatively outside the box - hence people with liberal arts degree. Will you need a liberal arts degree to succeed in this near future? Of course not. But I predict that liberal arts education/training will be a hot commodity in 20-30 years from now.
Interesting. I wonder if people going into particular fields like ( law, medicine, and engineering) do it because it's something they'll enjoy, or just do it because they have a "money first attitude."

Interesting. I wonder if people going into particular fields like ( law, medicine, and engineering) do it because it's something they'll enjoy, or just do it because they have a "money first attitude."

Personally I hate engineering. I care about my work because what I do affects people's jobs. If I had to do it all over again I would have become a dentist but I hear most dentists hate their jobs even though they make a lot more money than me so who knows. I think is rare and awesome when someone truly loves their job. The only jobs I would truly love doing would be if I was a professional video gamer or poker player.. lol

Also I was really talented at drawing and all my relatives were pretty sure I would become some sort of artist. I found out how little money they generally made in middle school and didn't consider it as a career once I got to high school. Sadly this exemplifies how our system steers us towards careers that are money oriented if we plan for it. The idea of going to college for art was impossible to me because I didn't want to be saddled with debts and a very low paying job. But who knows? In another school system where it's free I might have persued the art degree and become the next Todd McFarland. Highly unlikely but who knows and how many others like me chose a different path based on financial opportunities/fears...

Last edited:

there are things that we should address:

It is not only the cost, it is also the training/skillset that liberal arts degress do not provide like they used to. I am 40 years old, i am a progressive. I do not recognize the so called liberals/progressives in universities and colleges. Progressives used to be the some most eloquent, patient, cultured, open mided students on campus. NOw they are the most narrow minded, lack any kind of debating skills that doesn't include shouting lazy and pathetic slogans, quick to use attacks like racist, sexist, any kind of -ist. So these kids don't have any skillsets of any worth.

As for Mark Cuban:I think he is out of touch with the modern univeristy and the type of students that is being produced. his opinion would be correct 20~30 years ago. Now liberal arts kids are the most closed minded, liberal arts students remind of how inbred southern baptists were portrayed in film: close minded, uncultured, arrogant, quick to shout slogans and labels.

Liberal arts degrees have been hijacked by professional "liberals" instead of people with belief and passion for education. 20-30 years from now liberal arts would be looked as the same as theology. We have generations of people who cant get jobs because they majored in a subject that does not prepare them for any jobs, nor did the major give them the ability to open up to new ideas, communicate without resorting to slogan shouting, and are basically spoiled.

Last edited:
Personally I hate engineering. I care about my work because what I do affects people's jobs. If I had to do it all over again I would have become a dentist but I hear most dentists hate their jobs even though they make a lot more money than me so who knows. I think is rare and awesome when someone truly loves their job. The only jobs I would truly love doing would be if I was a professional video gamer or poker player.. lol

And how many professional video gamer/poker player jobs are out there? Let's face it, this whole "do what you love", idea is one of the copouts for most departments/degrees. "Come pay us for 4 years and study what you love! Get a job doing what you love!" Well how many jobs are there say analyzing medieval literature? How many jobs are there that pay to be a movie critic? IMHO the whole "do what you love" is the equivalent of saying: do you like basketball? come study to be a professional basketball player regardless of your actual talent level or the likelyhood of you becoming a professional.

Also I was really talented at drawing and all my relatives were pretty sure I would become some sort of artist. I found out how little money they generally made in middle school and didn't consider it as a career once I got to high school. Sadly this exemplifies how our system steers us towards careers that are money oriented if we plan for it. The idea of going to college for art was impossible to me because I didn't want to be saddled with debts and a very low paying job. But who knows? In another school system where it's free I might have persued the art degree and become the next Todd McFarland. Highly unlikely but who knows and how many others like me chose a different path based on financial opportunities/fears...

Animators and graphics designers who are successful make a good living, i should know because a lot of my friends and neighbors are artists. But there is one clear difference, all of my friends realized when they went to school for art that they were learning a craft. They learned a skillset like any other trade school. They treated art school like a trade school and they treated their talents like a tradesman/craftsman would. They were not "artists for arts sake". No, they were highly skilled tradesmen that viewed themselves like programmers ect. It is that their trade and skill just happened to be in animation.

As for the Todd McFarland comparison. He is not an artist, he is a content creator. A content creator that has a background in art. But he is not some guy who could draw.

there are things that we should address:

It is not only the cost, it is also the training/skillset that liberal arts degress do not provide like they used to. I am 40 years old, i am a progressive. I do not recognize the so called liberals/progressives in universities and colleges. Progressives used to be the some most eloquent, patient, cultured, open mided students on campus. NOw they are the most narrow minded, lack any kind of debating skills that doesn't include shouting lazy and pathetic slogans, quick to use attacks like racist, sexist, any kind of -ist. So these kids don't have any skillsets of any worth.

As for Mark Cuban:I think he is out of touch with the modern univeristy and the type of students that is being produced. his opinion would be correct 20~30 years ago. Now liberal arts kids are the most closed minded, liberal arts students remind of how inbred southern baptists were portrayed in film: close minded, uncultured, arrogant, quick to shout slogans and labels.

Liberal arts degrees have been hijacked by professional "liberals" instead of people with belief and passion for education. 20-30 years from now liberal arts would be looked as the same as theology. We have generations of people who cant get jobs because they majored in a subject that does not prepare them for any jobs, nor did the major give them the ability to open up to new ideas, communicate without resorting to slogan shouting, and are basically spoiled.

that isn't inherently isolated to just liberal arts though. There are programs that do not prepare you for your job. As a matter of fact, one could say the best preparation is on the job training for most fields. I am an engineer and I can't tell how many colleagues I have met that have made me wonder how the fuck they passed college and received a degree. The only reason some of these people got jobs are because they are connected to someone within the industry.

The fact of the matter is there is a huge problem with the school system. we don't prepare our kids to better choose their career before college and they end up entering in fields that they think they would enjoy and then maybe end up not liking it...

As for the Todd McFarland comparison. He is not an artist, he is a content creator. A content creator that has a background in art. But he is not some guy who could draw.

Are you fuckin' serious???? You must no know anything about comic books. Todd McFarland's initial and meteoric fame was through his art. He drew for both DC and Marvel in the 80s. He single handedly redesigned Spiderman to be the dynamic character he is today and was the co-creator of his greatest nemesis (Venom). His drawing made him a comic book artist superstar in the 90s (along with Jim Lee and Erik Larsen). He and several other popular artists left Marvel/DC and created Image and he invented Spawn and personally drew the first 20-some issues before handing it over to others.

There are very few comic book artists more famous than Todd McFarland. Just because he doesn't draw anymore doesn't mean he wasn't some guy who could draw. He could definitely draw and was one of the very best...

And how many professional video gamer/poker player jobs are out there? Let's face it, this whole "do what you love", idea is one of the copouts for most departments/degrees. "Come pay us for 4 years and study what you love! Get a job doing what you love!" Well how many jobs are there say analyzing medieval literature? How many jobs are there that pay to be a movie critic? IMHO the whole "do what you love" is the equivalent of saying: do you like basketball? come study to be a professional basketball player regardless of your actual talent level or the likelyhood of you becoming a professional.

I have no idea what you are talking about here. I do not need a degree to be a professional video gamer or poker player. I just need to do it. the job is simply to do it and if you are good enough you will get paid from your results. lol

Back