Making the leg catch and overhead combo work

Hatake88

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi team

This may seem like a dumb question but I have been having difficulty not getting counterpunched the moment I catch someone's leg. I know a way to stop it - namely to twist my back away from the caught leg and to put my weight onto my rear leg...but this also stops me from throwing the overhand right as well.

Anyone have any tips?

you can lift the leg, lean back, or walk fwd and off balance him.
Hi team

This may seem like a dumb question but I have been having difficulty not getting counterpunched the moment I catch someone's leg. I know a way to stop it - namely to twist my back away from the caught leg and to put my weight onto my rear leg...but this also stops me from throwing the overhand right as well.

Anyone have any tips?

One glove over his face and push him whilst your leg strikes the back of his support leg from the opposite direction......make sure you kick him again before he hits the ground.......

you can lift the leg, lean back, or walk fwd and off balance him.

Ty for the advice!

I tried lifting the leg and leaning back but then I'm not in a position to punch him either.

As for forward...I'm scared of walking into his punch lol

Ty for the advice!

I tried lifting the leg and leaning back but then I'm not in a position to punch him either.

As for forward...I'm scared of walking into his punch lol

anytime you catch the leg, regardless of teep or roundhouse, etc. this same principle applies, if you raise and walk fwd, you will force him to hop on 1 foot, he will be off balance

If you are off balance, you cannot attack, or defend yourself.

Offbalance them by stepping forward, but first and foremost is as soon as you catch that leg, get your other hand up to block the punch. Its an arm punch but don't underestimate it, I've seen a guy get put out by multiple of those.

So what I usually do is:
-catch (other hand in front to protect)
-step forward, but aggressively to off-balance them
-right cross
-knee
-dump

but if you're really going for damage, instead of the dump, push the leg down and slam a body kick

each step btw, I step forward once. In MT any more than once and it counts as plowing, its the double dribble of MT. Now if you're doing this under MMA rules, it doesn't matter, actually if you are, soon as you catch the leg, you can sprint forward it really fucks with their balance even worse than the single steps in MT

also forgot, when you catch his leg, punch him in the face with your free hand. instead of just reaching for his head, punch for it. then grab it

one more, catch his kick, throw it, and you kick

just let the leg while throwing the overhand punch the other guy will be to focused on regaining balance instead of countering

When I was doing kick boxing when I have catched a kick with my left hand I was releasing it and left hooking afterwards.

Back