Man Lives on Raw Meat for 5+ Years

In addition, there are multiple studies that show that heating not only decreases nutrient values in dairy, meat, vegetables, fruits, fats, and eggs, but also that heating them will decrease protein and carbohydrate digestibility.

Do you know what heating protein does? It denatures it. Do you know what happens to protein in your stomach? Acid and enzymes denature it.

Denatured protein is easier to digest.

Please show us these studies, because what I just stated is scientific fact. I can pull out Biology tests from college stating my point.

For the sake of your argument I hope you don't supplement with amino acids.

I for one am very interested to check out these studies showing how heating eggs decreases the nutrient values and also decreases protein digestibility. That's about the opposite of everything I've ever read on the topic.

I was under the impression that the majority of protein in an uncooked egg could not be used.

Not necessarily that it can't be used, it's just that it gets denatured - i.e. the protein structure changes.

The egg protein consists of chains of amino acids that are held in place by chemical bonds.The bonds between the amino acids are strong, covalent bonds. Most of the bonds that maintain the 3d shape of proteins are weak hydrogen bonds, and heating is what breaks those. When the egg is cooked the weakest bonds break and the amino acid strings unravel.When the unfolded proteins make contact they form new bonds (egg hardens and is no longer clear), and now the proteins are in a more digestible form.

Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans:
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full

Last edited:
It's unlikely you have had this one and only account for three years now and so rarely post, considering your habbit, as shown in this thread, of responding every time someone else posts a comment.

That being said, I don't get why you are still posting here. You've had many chances to contribute something, really anything at all, even your own personal history and experiences instead of any evidence in support of your claim, and chosen not to.

However, I also don't think this thread is very important, and no one should be too concerned about it. I don't think anyone is going to stumble in here and decide after reading it to cook their steak raw, at least not anyone who is allowed to cut up their own food. It's really just one long and fairly poorly done troll job, whether intentional or not (Juno's future posting will make this fairly evident), though there was some interesting information presented here by others.

Really, unless anyone else has anything to add to this, I think we can about call the whole thing a wrap and move on to the next topic. Now we've gotten uncooked meat and fruitarianism out of the way, maybe it's time for another panicky thread about artificial sweeteners? Or perhaps someone bringing in a new article linking creatine with kidney damage?

I don't get it. What do you want as a response to that article? If you want to discuss sugar in general and that article in specific, you would probably be better off starting a new thread about it. If you don't have any specific opinion on the article, just ask other posters to discuss it in that thread.

I assume this is addressing me as OP? I don't get your point. I posted an interesting article about a unique diet in a diet DISCUSSION forum. I didn't realize I have to hand hold people towards having a discussion.

I for one am very interested to check out these studies showing how heating eggs decreases the nutrient values and also decreases protein digestibility. That's about the opposite of everything I've ever read on the topic.

Or you could just disregard him. He's usually in the S&C promoting sandbag-carries and neckbridges or some shit, ahead of squats and deadlifts

I assume this is addressing me as OP? I don't get your point. I posted an interesting article about a unique diet in a diet DISCUSSION forum. I didn't realize I have to hand hold people towards having a discussion.

No he was replying to Juno

Yeah, sorry for the confusion anaconda, neither of those were directed at you.

I love how no one responds to shunyata in these threads lol.

It's like they just blurp over anything that resembles textbook quality information.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion anaconda, neither of those were directed at you.

Cool. Thanks for clearing it up. I probably haven't had enough meat today; I'm thinking like a vegetarian.

I love how no one responds to shunyata in these threads lol.

It's like they just blurp over anything that resembles textbook quality information.

Well, to be fair, it is textbook information. If I were to go grab my college biology textbook that is exactly what it would say, which is why I am interested to hear the reasoning of people who disagree. Hopefully Hot comes back and explains at least the raw egg part.

I think the evidence speaks for itself and shows that your thinking is incorrect, but if you have studies to show, post them so we can discus.

I am not sure what kind of access to scholarly databases you guys have, but these sources more than prove that there is another side of the argument, and when looking at all food sources across all cultures, there is a very scientific point of view that cooking food most certainly degrades nutrient density and quality, but also more often than not, heat will not give vastly improved bioavailibity to the majority of foods on earth.

From Oste [1991], heating (above 100

there is a very scientific point of view that cooking food most certainly degrades nutrient density and quality, but also more often than not, heat will not give vastly improved bioavailibity to the majority of foods on earth.

How do you get to that?

What is the bioavailability of the raw form of the major sources of calories on the planet, those being rice, potato and wheat? How about beans such as kidney beans which are actually toxic without cooking?

Seidler's hake study was not comparing raw hake to cooked hake but actually hake cooked in the presence of other foodstuffs at varying temperatures. Yet it somehow appears as proof of raw meat being better than cooked on paleo sites the world over.

Oste also produced this: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full which shows that egg protein digestability almost doubles through cooking.

http://bama.ua.edu/~ssecor/journalarticles/journalarticle42.pdf - "These results support the hypothesis that the consumption of cooked meat provides an energetic benefit over the consumption of raw meat."

Last edited:
Any meat from any animal that eats meat needs to be cooks at 180 degrees internal temperature for at least 10 minutes, to eliminate the risk of trichinosis.

That papers conclusion seems a bit odd considering it's study of each of the risks it goes through and it's conclusion of each (protein intake doesn't damage renal function, may well increase bone density, ect), but I suppose it's likely what it is due to the concern the author has with increased intake of cholesterol (which is a whole other topic). Still a good little read.

Great threat. Juno's an idiot. Anyone who has ever studied anything remembers which sources were the most informative because there's so much filler to get through in the learning process.

More threads in more forums need to use scientific and textbook references. There'd be a lot less stupidity out there.

Great threat. Juno's an idiot.

I think that's a little harsh. Juno admitted his original statement was wrong, and didn't want to discuss his personal reasons, which I don't think is enough to label him an 'idiot'. And to be fair to the other forums, few other forums have the ability for their subject matter to be easily referenced. There aren't many studies you can link that will help someone in the average thread for the Grappling subforum, or the movie discussions in the Mayberry, for example, but I get you that more reasonable discussion would help some of the other forums.

I've always found the Strength and Power and Standup forum really good though, and filled with knowledgeable individuals.

I think that's a little harsh. Juno admitted his original statement was wrong, and didn't want to discuss his personal reasons, which I don't think is enough to label him an 'idiot'. And to be fair to the other forums, few other forums have the ability for their subject matter to be easily referenced. There aren't many studies you can link that will help someone in the average thread for the Grappling subforum, or the movie discussions in the Mayberry, for example, but I get you that more reasonable discussion would help some of the other forums.

I've always found the Strength and Power and Standup forum really good though, and filled with knowledgeable individuals.

I'm going to stand by my assertion that Juno's an idiot and, while I can't link you to scientific studies, I can link you to an internet thread to prove it.

And I think it's just harsh enough because of how obnoxious he was. He spent most of the thread scoffing at everyone's ignorance and pretending as though he was the only one wise enough to seek the truth.

Give me any topic I've studied and I could recall the books, articles and websites that were the most informative. Give me any topic I've half-assed while casually perusing the internet and I'll respond like Juno did. It's like Tom Cruise claiming that he knows psychology is a scam because he's thoroughly studied it. No, you haven't, you've studied Scientology who taught you all your ass-crazy ideas about psychology.

Also, I don't know if I can count how many times people have been spouting shit about the HISTORY of various grappling styles (or -- especially -- the quality of skills in past boxing eras) which is clearly a product of bro-learning (like Juno) and not book-learning.

Back