Man on Fire vs Taken... which film was better?

Taken, which I highly enjoyed...I put in the same category as Rambo IV.

Very simple, very entertaining and you're only watching to see bad guys get fu*king killed...brutally.

Man on Fire as many others have mentioned has so much more depth to it.

Denzel's performance in this trumps his most over rated performance in Training Day.

really love both movies, but MoF wins for me. it is also based on real events, while Taken is a little too far out there.

I think they're both some of the best action films made during the 00's and it's super hard to decide which one is better since I enjoy both of them equally.

Has anyone seen the alternate ending to Man on Fire?

It wasn't very good, but it makes the C4 up the rectum explanation make a lot more sense (earlier in the film)

I wasn't aware that an alternative ending existed but having just watched it after you brought it to my attention, it just confirms how much more badass Creasy was than Liam.

That said, I prefer the theatrical ending better, where it's implied Creasy drifts off to die in the car.

both were good but I liked MOF just a tad more

This is a tough one. Taken definitely wins in the action department (hand to hand, firearms, etc). Man on Fire has the edge in "emotion".

Though the ending of MoF pissed me the fuck off. Why didn't he trade both the brother and wife w/ unborn kid for Peeta? Why trade himself? I understand the whole, well he has to die to be at peace nonsense. But, he got Peeta back, and she gave him his life back. Why not keep it?

^^^^
He was looking for redemption, he wasn't trying to get his life back.

Both good films. Gotta go Creasy Bear for the win.
"A man can be an artist at anything. Creasy's art is death and he's about to paint his masterpiece."

Well, in addition to the most likely targets of revenge would be those close to Creasy, which means, the girl he just saved and the wife.

Creasy had to die, not just for the "be at peace" thing, but to end the thread of revenge that could happen from the kidnapping lord.

Taken was seriously awful, I can't believe anyone would compare it to Man on Fire and I definitely can't believe that anyone would say Taken is the better of the two. These Mayberry polls consistently disappoint me.

Thread inspired me to watch Man On Fire again... what a great movie.

Man of Fire > Taken

The only thing that annoyed me about Man on Fire was how the sreen kept "flipping" from color to black and white. Costantly. And then the random subtites out of no where.

Since I recently rewatched Man on Fire I have to side with the opinion of the subtitle overkill. It would be one thing if the captions were reasonable (not large font) yet when the captions were bolded in large font throughout the movie it becomes too much. IMO still even with the caption nonsense Man on Fire was a superior picture to Taken. I really feel all the Taken movies were code for a Liam Neeson-James Bond.

Not even close.

MeComputer.jpg

easily Man on Fire

'Creasy's art is death, and he's about to paint his masterpiece' is one of the greatest lines in cinema history IMO

Holy Necromancy, Batman.

still trying to figure out why he asked that guy for the Dictionary, when all he learned to identify was 'good luck'

dude never heard of the internet?

Back