Managing identity and expectations

Hatake88

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi all

I started full-time work this year after finishing my degree. This means that, at most, I can train 2-3 times a week. This is in direct contrast with my early university years where I was able to train nearly every day and was able to fight as an amateur.

To be honest, I am finding this transition to be very difficult. I love Muay Thai/Boxing but, at the same time, I want to succeed at my job. Currently, investing time in one seems to be directly taking away from the other. Deep down I am incredibly jealous of some of my teammates who took easy jobs (think: freelance composer, waitress, part time personal trainer gigs) but as a result am able to win state/national championships. At the same time, I don't want to let go of my job given it pays $65,000 USD a year and, in twelve to fifteen year's time, this figure can balloon up to 250k+. Hell, I know people at the top of my profession who bring in millions a year.

Its really passion vs practicality here and I don't know what to do. I sit at my desk 9am-8pm most days and there are no clubs near me that do morning classes (at least not at an advanced level). I get upset thinking about it as I realise I'm wasting my physical prime (I'm in my early/mid twenties) and I don't really enjoy what I do (banking). But then there is also the sickening realisation that, even if I do take time off, there is no guarantee that I will become a champion and that...as much as I hate to admit it...I'm better at problem solving at my desk than I am in the ring.

I don't know...I just feel like I'm in a hard spot right now. Training is hard when people who I used to be able to better...people who I used to give advice to FFS...are now more decorated than perhaps I would ever be.

To the working adults of the dog, please let me know how you are able to manage your expectations and how you make the crossover from identifying as a "fighter" to something else (for me, a white collar worker).

I am standing in front of a similar crossroad, having to decide whether to shelve once and for all the possibility to become a skilled fighter, or compromise my (already precarious) career chances and devolve my next few years to Muay Thai. It is a choice that comes with our age, as I suppose that '88 is your year of birth, while mine is '87, the age where nobody can afford missing the last boarding call. I see some fellows at my gym who are in their early 40's, with a more than respectable job, who are training to become good at Muay Thai, whose bodies are, unfortunately, well past the point of no return and no matter how hard they will train, they will never excel as they could have; on the other hand, I have seen others who have disregarded career in favor of the art and the ring, living their dream; these guys won't make it into the elite and once they will hit their 40's and be past their prime I have no idea what they will do, apart from training the new generations or similar.
I am personally trying to look at this dilemma asking myself whom I want to be and why Muay Thai (for that matter, any fight sport) attracts me so much. Is it a hobby? A destiny? Is the fight sport a sort of alternative path I am taking to get somewhere else? If you look inside yourself, ask yourself some questions, and understand why you are even considering abandoning your career for Muay Thai, you will find an answer to your inner conflict.
I have not been drawn to the art because of practicing a sport and being healthy, but because I am trying to be a certain type of person, and Muay Thai can be key to that self-realization; but it's not the only part of it. If you feel that your goal is to become good at the sport, be in shape, and stay active, then you are seeing Muay Thai as a hobby, and one should not neglect job opportunities for a hobby. But if you are looking at the sport as a way to find THE answer, then all the materialistic considerations and judgments involving career (a well-paid job, a big house, expensive vices), dissolve like snow in the sun, and you should follow your destiny.

Hi all

I started full-time work this year after finishing my degree. This means that, at most, I can train 2-3 times a week. This is in direct contrast with my early university years where I was able to train nearly every day and was able to fight as an amateur.

To be honest, I am finding this transition to be very difficult. I love Muay Thai/Boxing but, at the same time, I want to succeed at my job. Currently, investing time in one seems to be directly taking away from the other. Deep down I am incredibly jealous of some of my teammates who took easy jobs (think: freelance composer, waitress, part time personal trainer gigs) but as a result am able to win state/national championships. At the same time, I don't want to let go of my job given it pays $65,000 USD a year and, in twelve to fifteen year's time, this figure can balloon up to 250k+. Hell, I know people at the top of my profession who bring in millions a year.

Its really passion vs practicality here and I don't know what to do. I sit at my desk 9am-8pm most days and there are no clubs near me that do morning classes (at least not at an advanced level). I get upset thinking about it as I realise I'm wasting my physical prime (I'm in my early/mid twenties) and I don't really enjoy what I do (banking). But then there is also the sickening realisation that, even if I do take time off, there is no guarantee that I will become a champion and that...as much as I hate to admit it...I'm better at problem solving at my desk than I am in the ring.

I don't know...I just feel like I'm in a hard spot right now. Training is hard when people who I used to be able to better...people who I used to give advice to FFS...are now more decorated than perhaps I would ever be.

To the working adults of the dog, please let me know how you are able to manage your expectations and how you make the crossover from identifying as a "fighter" to something else (for me, a white collar worker).

I worked 8-5 and trained M-F for years. I have been training for almost 20 years, and have been working full time at pretty much every point of training. I know and understand exactly where you are coming from, and it can be difficult, but it can be done. If you think its hard now in your 20's, try it in your 30's lol.

you can do it, its just very difficult, and you will have very long days 5 days a week.

if you find training is jeopardizing your job you can always cut back a day, your already training 3 days a week? so bump it to 4 and play that out.

you have to consider what is important to you? your education will always be there. your youth will not. the opportunity to compete will not always be there. you can always get another job, although it may not be as good as the one you have now.

the situation your in, is the situation the majoirty are in, and is why most people do it as a hobby.

I don't want to let go of my job given it pays $65,000 USD a year and, in twelve to fifteen year's time, this figure can balloon up to 250k+
You sound poor

Personally I would focus more on your career, you don't want to be a decade from now regretting a pay cut because you gave it up or half-assed it for good workouts

I work 9-5 and train 6 days, with 3-4 of those being twice a day. It definitely is tough, specifically if its done without much breaks in between. Breaks as in cool down time between camps. The companies I've always worked at had flexible schedules so it worked, had I worked in a tight corporate environment, and where commute was much longer, I probably wouldn't have been able to do my 2x daily.

Unless you have huge aspirations of making MT your main source of income down the line, stick with your career. It's good to follow your dreams, but don't stick one foot in and have the other out.

I made my choice a long time ago... I have a shitty lifestyle level, probably no future, but i enjoy my days.

I made my choice a long time ago... I have a shitty lifestyle level, probably no future, but i enjoy my days.
We all did that when we made Sherdog accounts

I AM NOT LIKE YOU... I AM NOT ONE OF YOUS

Hi all

I would keep the cushy job that is offering you upward mobility. You can train in your spare time. Being a martial artist doesn't solely revolve around competition. Martial arts and training is a lifestyle.

You've already identified that you're better at problem solving than fighting. If you get hurt in the ring, and damage that money making brain of yours then where will you be? You may be removed from fighting AND your job. Weigh the risk v the reward.

If your schedule opens up, perhaps get some competition in if you have an itch for it. That way you can said you did it, and have the pride that comes with it. I would also note that pride doesn't pay your bills at the end of the day.

All of the best fighters I know fight because they HAVE to, not because they have a burning desire to get beat on for a living. You seem to have a lot going for you. I wouldn't jeopardize it.

I don't think it necessary to pursue fighting as a full time gig, you can be the banker that knows how to fight. I would put the job first, and see where it will take you. 2-3 times of training a week isn't bad by the way.

Hi all

I would also encourage you to keep your job and career options, thats life and a good salary as well to start with after a degree, congrats as well!

That is a fantastic achievement in life within itself, never doubt it..........knowledge is power!

You have already achieved much as an amateur fighter as well, whilst obtaining a Degree.......... be proud and content with this, its awesome!

Also, you have already subconsciously revealed what is more important to you in the highlighted text, using words like, "I want" sometimes its good to discuss things as it really reveals more in what you want in life. Yeah sure, a choice needs to be made here but base it on reality and importance to short and long term goals.

If you were sharing something like: I'm choosing a career to be a "Navy Seal" and do I need to continue Martial Arts?... or something along those lines.

I would say heck yeah, do it with enthusiasm, but your situation presents a better future and retirement options allowing you to be in a great financial stead, you can't pass that up!

I'm 47 years of age, If I could live life a few times over I would fulfill "ALL" my career, dreams and aspirations, but that's not reality.

You get one life to live and for most of us a choice needs to be made on the path we chose to live out.

Career options always first then hobbies and passions when there is time for that, its never to late to pursue that in future, where there is a will there is a way.

I have a home training studio, you might want to at least consider doing that, keeping physically active and eating well, training at your own convenience within your own home.

So with a good salary allocate a budget / money put aside for a home studio like Master Wong's home training center....

Awesome stuff yeah, that's why, like I said where there is a will there is a way!

Although, got to work for a living, that's important!

The fitness and martial arts world pays very little in comparison, its usually only considered as a passion, but times have changed jobs are harder to get, money even harder to hold onto as cost of living goes up and global financial market insecurity grows!

Again my advice "KEEP THAT JOB"........... but live a Martial Artist life in personal time, after hours, weekends, training and eating well............ stay active!

All the best Hatake88! ;)

Last edited:
Hi all

Maybe, training, at a local gym in your lunch break, would keep your fitness level up and do MT on the weekends?

Most of the most dedicated students I have also have full time jobs. Librado Andrade managed a Jack In The Box here in Vegas until after his second title fight. Gabe Rosado worked full time at Home Depot until his first Title fight.

Hey man,

Don't know if you're still checking this thread but this struck a chord with me. Long time creeper so here's my first post.

I am in a similar boat, 28 years old. I make a good salary for my age in a corporate environment, which has growth potential down the road. I got into MMA after a painful breakup and fell in love with it. I toyed with the idea of quitting my job, living off my savings to become an amateur fighter / freelance writer and saying fuck it to society. Mostly because I hate sitting in front of a desk or in a boardroom rambling about numbers all day.

Here are some of the questions I've been asking myself and maybe you can relate:

- What are your personal objectives with the money? Do you want kids? A big house? What kind of women (or dudes) do you want to attract in your life?

Some people might tell you that money can't buy happiness. Other people will tell you that you can't be happy while you're poor. Both of those things can be true depending on what you're willing to give up. And you will always have to give something up.

The money that you're making right now can make you a better MMA fighter indirectly. You gain access to higher quality treatment upon injury. You can sign up for healthy meal delivery plans (I always end up cooking and eating a whole package of bacon if I'm making my own breakfast). You won't have to worry about paying fees at the best gyms, occasional one-on-one instruction, etc. And the lack of financial stress won't be weighing as heavily on your mind before you go to bed. You may not be able to train as often or as people full time. But you can compensate somewhat by using your resources to streamline your life.

On the other hand, I get the sense that you don't find any meaning in your job. I could just be projecting. But the first thing you mentioned is your salary and the potential for your salary to grow. You don't say anything else in there about what exactly it is that you do. In my own situation, I have been asking myself a lot of questions about what the exact value is of my work, to myself, my community and the world at large. Why do I love MMA so much more than my job? I've never been a morning person, and now I'm completely obsessed with getting up at 5 AM to go train every day now. I think the answer is that MMA represents personal mastery over something measurably difficult that requires physical and mental courage. It's tough to find a job that provides those challenges in the white collar world.

I don't know you personally or what your odds are at becoming a well-paid UFC fighter. Probably slim, to be realistic. But if you ask yourself what is underneath the drive to excel and perform in that environment, beyond superficial achievements like state championships, you might find that your distress is related to that drive being unfulfilled at work. Otherwise, MMA would feel like a more harmonious part of your existence, rather than something pulling you away from a desk job. It sounds more like you're asking yourself what kind of person you want to be, not what are the things in life that you want.

I don't know if the solution to that feeling is to quit. It might be. Some of my friends fight wilderness fires over the summer. They stay in hella good shape and can train all winter. And it works for them. But there might also be a way to integrate those parts of you that crave competition into your current life holistically.

Cheers

Everybody always tells me. "When there is a will there is a way". If your working 9am-8pm that's kind of hard unless you got a friend at the gym or workout buddy. Trust me I would hate working in a bank too, i literally hate customer service jobs soo much because of my last one last year, especially since it was in the hood (it wasn't the employees that I was working with it was the damn customer's that would threaten me for stupid reasons saying they would shoot me because they're pizza was late, or saying that they would shove the pizza up my ass, that's why I'm glad I got fired from there).

If you want more time to train, or something like that try a civil service job (police department, fire department, etc) or just get a new job, like something where your still getting paid salary and have a flexible work schedule because your working 13 hrs a day apparently.

And really to be champion, you got to put the work in somehow, you need to do something that will help out with your fight career.

Back