Manhunt: Unabomber - Discovery's new scripted series on the hunt for Ted Kaczynski

Watched ep six last night. On one hand, I felt like it was the least exciting ep we've gotten in the series. But on the other, it was really interesting to delve into some of Ted's backstory and see his interactions with other people. It went a long way toward humanizing him.

I do have to wonder how far the show is going in terms of creative liberties. There were so many scenes last night where I was like, "Did he really write that letter? Did this experiment really go down like this? Did he really have that friend?"

Paul Bettany is still killing it as the character of Ted Kaczynski regardless.

Absolutely love this show. PB is killing it. Direction and writing are top notch. Everyone should be watching.

I got interested in the last episode's insinuation that the Harvard psychological experiment Kaczynski underwent was in any way tied to the CIA or MKUltra and did a bit of research. I am finding very little that actually ties the two together.

For instance, this is the most detailed article I've been able to find on the subject:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2000/06/harvard-and-the-making-of-the-unabomber/378239

And nowhere in the article is the CIA or MKUltra mentioned at all. So my guess is that it is speculation at best to try to connect them.

I got interested in the last episode's insinuation that the Harvard psychological experiment Kaczynski underwent was in any way tied to the CIA or MKUltra and did a bit of research. I am finding very little that actually ties the two together.

For instance, this is the most detailed article I've been able to find on the subject:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2000/06/harvard-and-the-making-of-the-unabomber/378239

And nowhere in the article is the CIA or MKUltra mentioned at all. So my guess is that it is speculation at best to try to connect them.
Maybe the producers of this show know something that, before now, has not been common knowledge. It does seem kind of risky for a university to engage in this type of experiment on paying members of the student body. So, the idea that the government could have been a driving force behind that seems reasonable.

I hope they're not taking too many creative liberties with this show, though. I am definitely enjoying it and would like to think I am seeing mostly factual stuff.

Last edited:
What does that mean?

It is a comment on the prevalent Trump hate in hollywood now.
There was an article about GoT from before the election and the Davos actor said some shit they were thinking about Trump during some speech in the show. It is very hard to find anything not politicized in the media/arts nowadays which is super fucking annoying

It is a comment on the prevalent Trump hate in hollywood now.
There was an article about GoT from before the election and the Davos actor said some shit they were thinking about Trump during some speech in the show. It is very hard to find anything not politicized in the media/arts nowadays which is super fucking annoying

This thread literally has nothing to do with today's politics though. That totally came from left field. You should migrate back to the War Room.

Maybe the producers of this show know something that, before now, has not been common knowledge. It does seem kind of risky for a university to engage in this type of experiment on paying members of the student body, so the idea that the government could have been a driving force behind that seems reasonable.

I hope they're not taking too many creative liberties with this show, though. I am definitely enjoying it and would like to think I am seeing mostly factual stuff.

If you search for "Kaczynski MKUltra" you'll get a few hits, but the articles I found are on sites I've never heard of and don't seem to provide any evidence. His Wikipedia article also discusses the Harvard experiment but again there's no mention of the CIA or MKUltra.

My guess is that there are a handful of people who have theorized that the experiment was tied to the CIA and then pushed that theory out into the public domain. And the writers for the show thought it was interesting and just decided to run with it.

I do agree with you that I want them to stick pretty closely to the facts.

This thread literally has nothing to do with today's politics though. That totally came from left field. You should migrate back to the War Room.

Mayberry is where all the movie/tv show talk is. It was a joke about a movie/tv show and they are infested with politics now.
You should migrate to being a poster and not a wannabe plantation master.

Mayberry is where all the movie/tv show talk is. It was a joke about a movie/tv show and they are infested with politics now.
You should migrate to being a poster and not a wannabe plantation master.
There are literally no undertones to today's politics in this show. None. It takes place in the 1990's.

Good show, enjoying it.

One problem I have is with Discovery, not the actual show. Why the fuck can't they keep it airing in the same time slot?! One week it's on Tuesday at 10, another week Monday at 11, another week whatever day at 9.

The fuck?

How big was the Trump character in it?
giphy.gif

Good show, enjoying it.

One problem I have is with Discovery, not the actual show. Why the fuck can't they keep it airing in the same time slot?! One week it's on Tuesday at 10, another week Monday at 11, another week whatever day at 9.

The fuck?

The new episodes always air at 10 PM on Tuesdays followed by an encore at 11 PM. Other time slots are for repeats.

The new episodes always air at 10 PM on Tuesdays followed by an encore at 11 PM. Other time slots are for repeats.

Oh, I guess my DVR is taping something with a higher priority some weeks then. I dunno, I don't set that thing up. My girl and kids tape like a thousand shows a week.

Just finished it.

I think this ended up being a very good show. Surprisingly good, really.

Ep 7 knew how to hold the tension with the warrant and the actual takedown of Ted was interesting. And ep 8 did a good job of wrapping everything up and bringing the story to its conclusion.

I have to say, it's kind of bullshit the way that his own lawyers were not acting according to his wishes. I assume that part was true to life and I do have to wonder how things would've gone if they had actually challenged the search warrant.

I also have to wonder how sympathetic the real-life Fitz was to Ted's ideas. In the show, he is clearly somewhat sympathetic.

All in all I'd probably give the show an 8/10. I'd like to see more scripted series in this vein. I wonder if Discovery is already planning something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, it's kind of bullshit the way that his own lawyers were not acting according to his wishes. I assume that part was true to life and I do have to wonder how things would've gone if they had actually challenged the search warrant.

He might have gotten off on a technicality despite terrorizing and murdering people. The judge and his legal team obviously were not having that.

He might have gotten off on a technicality despite terrorizing and murdering people. The judge and his legal team obviously were not having that.

Still though, a man is entitled to a proper defense. His own legal team is not supposed to be working against him. That's corruption of the legal system.

Yes, occasionally guilty people may go free by following the letter of the law, but I think that's a worthwhile price to pay to maintain the presumption of innocence. I already feel that all too often the deck is stacked too much against defendants from the beginning without their own lawyers sabotaging them.

Still though, a man is entitled to a proper defense. His own legal team is not supposed to be working against him. That's corruption of the legal system.

True. There is no evidence that his legal team did that though.

Back