Manly vs. Metro

Guess not :D

I believe that there are traditionally manly values, and that adhering to those is a lot of fun but not exactly gender-related.

Ιf we are going to be serious about it, I guess it comes down to this:

The core male virtues are for a man to be strong and tough/resilient; the core female virtues are for a woman to be beautiful/graceful and loving/affectionate.

Metal is manly because it is the only folk musical style where it is acceptable to convey aggression. Aggression is a male trait. I guess aggression is vocally expressed in gangster rap and some rock, but rarely is it musically expressed as it is in metal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Metal is manly because it is the only folk musical style where it is acceptable to convey aggression. Aggression is a male trait. I guess aggression is vocally expressed in gangster rap and some rock, but rarely is it musically expressed as it is in metal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pfft. Using a microphone to sing is gay. Real men rock 2500hz.

Manly - Once shot even par with only four clubs

Metro - I own five lob wedges

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus effing Christ -- some of you guys sound like you've been smoking spliffs made from organic lentils and fail, rolled up in pages from Ms. magazine.

What's manly? Nothing's manly? Women can do all the manly things now?

Listen, platypuses lay eggs, but that doesn't make them fucking birds.

Manly = Being in control of yourself, always. Dominating other guys. Punching sharks. Not giving two shits what other people think. Telling it like it is. Civilizing yourself only to the point where you can hold a job and pull tail, and being prepared to throw off the mantle of civilization when circumstances require. Acknowledging and celebrating our shared heritage as the ones who fight and kill and die so that our women and children might live.

Not manly = Trying to win the approval of women all the time, for everything. Thinking manliness means acting like an unsupervised three-year-old. Worrying about other peoples' feelings when you haven't done anything wrong. Trying to get other people to handle your tough, boring, dangerous, time-consuming or otherwise unpleasant responsibilities.

If any of what I just wrote puzzles or offends you, read some Luke Cage: Hero for Hire comics while listening to Motorhead and eating a double bacon cheeseburger with a side order of malt liquor, stat.

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire (0000) #1 | Digital Comics | Comics | Marvel.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Man:
I am above 222 lbs. 6 packs are gay.
I refuse to do isolation excercises
I despise vegetarians and vegans
I shave only when I need to
I let my hair grow untill I'm told by more than 5 people that it needs a cut
All Non-contact sports are for pussies
I drink beer
I scratch my parts as and when I need, in public or not

Gran:
I won't drink bad tasting protein
I enjoy love and power ballads, and some chic-flics (my girlfriend influences me somewhat, too much)
I have a soft spot for my little terrier dog
I don't like to hurt peoples feelings knowingly
I've straightened my hair, and I wear chino's
Eating is sometimes a chore
I like watching Jersey Shore
My girlfriend shops for me

Jesus effing Christ -- some of you guys sound like you've been smoking spliffs made from organic lentils and fail, rolled up in pages from Ms. magazine.

Manly = Being in control of yourself, always. Dominating other guys. Punching sharks. Not giving two shits what other people think. Telling it like it is. Civilizing yourself only to the point where you can hold a job and pull tail, and being prepared to throw off the mantle of civilization when circumstances require. Acknowledging and celebrating our shared heritage as the ones who fight and kill and die so that our women and children might live.

Not manly = Trying to win the approval of women all the time, for everything. Thinking manliness means acting like an unsupervised three-year-old. Worrying about other peoples' feelings when you haven't done anything wrong. Trying to get other people to handle your tough, boring, dangerous, time-consuming or otherwise unpleasant responsibilities.

If any of what I just wrote puzzles or offends you, read some Luke Cage: Hero for Hire comics while listening to Motorhead and eating a double bacon cheeseburger with a side order of malt liquor, stat.

No need to take it so seriously. Like I said, manliness can be fun but it's not important any more - women can fight wars just fine nowadays, and do most jobs as well.

Wow, this thread grew in a hurry. Is making a list of "manly" and "metro" traits on an online forum really a manly thing to do?

Just saying.

Wow, this thread grew in a hurry. Is making a list of "manly" and "metro" traits on an online forum really a manly thing to do?

Just saying.

I guess at this point we can all add "bitching on the interwebz" to our metro lists lol

Fucking lulz. Thank you for saving me the time and energy to say what I had no time or energy to say.

No roles anymore? Then men, have a fucking baby. Nurse a baby. Try nurturing. If you're manly, you have no business nurturing. And women have no business running into a burning building to save a puppy (not a cat, fuck cats). That's man work right there. Women have no business fixing shit. That's our job. Any of you have your wife change the oil for you and are still able to sleep at night? My wife has never opened a door for me. Sure the lines might be blurred a bit, but men <> women and they never will.

ah i love my generation, were more feminine than females! gender roles should still matter while not too the extent they have before, they certainly should matter more than they do now. whichever woman got it in her head that men and females are equal in all facets of life was an idiot. i have a penis you have a vagina we are built different so why do we act and do the same stuff now ?

we have become pussys that's why. i also want to say f*ck the green movement this planet will eventually clean itself up ! it was here long before us, and it will be here long after us. while being green has nothing to do with this topic, it bugs me just the same.

ah i love my generation, were more feminine than females! gender roles should still matter while not too the extent they have before, they certainly should matter more than they do now.

Why?

Don't get me wrong, something inside me tells me that it should matter, too, but I can't find any empirical evidence to back that notion up. Evolution occurs because it can; our gender roles have been blurred because they *can* be blurred without negative consequence, or at least immediate negative consequence.

we have become pussys that's why. i also want to say f*ck the green movement this planet will eventually clean itself up ! it was here long before us, and it will be here long after us. while being green has nothing to do with this topic, it bugs me just the same.

Even if you think the planet will correct itself, being "green" is just smart thinking. You can't maintain oil and coal output forever. If you want to continue to be able to drive to work, post on Sherdog, and turn on the lights in your house, you should care.

Either we find alternative forms of energy capable of sustaining our current lifestyles, or we'll have to drastically adjust the way we live. It isn't hippy talk or conspiracy theories; it's supply and demand. We have a very very high demand for oil, and a finite supply. Either you decrease demand or your increase the supply. Increasing the supply is impossible, so..

Why?

Don't get me wrong, something inside me tells me that it should matter, too, but I can't find any empirical evidence to back that notion up. Evolution occurs because it can; our gender roles have been blurred because they *can* be blurred without negative consequence, or at least immediate negative consequence.

Even if you think the planet will correct itself, being "green" is just smart thinking. You can't maintain oil and coal output forever. If you want to continue to be able to drive to work, post on Sherdog, and turn on the lights in your house, you should care.

Either we find alternative forms of energy capable of sustaining our current lifestyles, or we'll have to drastically adjust the way we live. It isn't hippy talk or conspiracy theories; it's supply and demand. We have a very very high demand for oil, and a finite supply. Either you decrease demand or your increase the supply. Increasing the supply is impossible, so..

yeah i am not going to even start the whole save the world shit when we are still killing each other. when we can't even take care of ourselves and let alone each other. the green thinking will just be one of those cool things everyone pretends to do.

Why?

men produce more testosterone-we're meant for physical activity.
women have a larger corpus callosum-the 2 halves of their brain can share more information at the same time making them better multitaskers (i.e. housework)

women have a larger corpus callosum-the 2 halves of their brain can share more information at the same time making them better multitaskers (i.e. fighter pilots)

Fix'd.

What physical activity is necessary for men anymore? Commercialized farming have eliminated the need to hunt. Pneumatics has eliminated the *need* to be able to lift heavy objects.

Edit: by necessary, I mean that "women can't do". It's policy, not physique, that prevents women from doing jobs anymore. I agree that there are certainly physical traits that separate us, and that we aren't "equal" as everyone would like to believe. But in our modern society, the playing field is more even from an occupational point of view.

women have a larger corpus callosum-the 2 halves of their brain can share more information at the same time making them better multitaskers (i.e. housework)

All studies I have read regarding "multitasking" have all lead to the same conclusion: multitasking doesn't actually exist. People who think they multitask merely switch between tasks very quickly, losing efficiency between switches leading to reduced productivity. A quick google search for "corpus callosum multitasking" return a whole bunch of hypothesis but no real study. If you can link me to something it would be greatly appreciated.

Neither here nor their, really. It's proven that some men have large corpus callusoms as well; men can naturally share those same traits regardless of external influence.

yeah i am not going to even start the whole save the world shit when we are still killing each other. when we can't even take care of ourselves and let alone each other. the green thinking will just be one of those cool things everyone pretends to do.

While I wholeheartedly disagree, I can understand the point of view. But, just for the sake of the record, alternative energy =/= peace love and unity. Alternative energy/energy independence means that when shit hits the fan, your country still has a functional military and economy.

Last edited:

Specifically when it comes to fighter pilots, spatial awareness, hand-eye coordination and reaction time are probably the most crucial abilities. According to scientific research, sex influences those abilities and males appear to be superior in all three.

Specifically when it comes to fighter pilots, spatial awareness, hand-eye coordination and reaction time are probably the most crucial abilities. According to scientific research, sex influences those abilities and males appear to be superior in all three.

Ok. What I was opposing was the notion that better capacity for multitasking in effect makes for a homemaker. It could just as well make for a good fighter pilot, musician, crane operator, forklift driver...

Also, when I did the test to see if I could be a fighter pilot in the military the entire test was multitasking. It was reminiscent of this.

I understand that female fighter pilots are able to resist losing consciousness during high-g maneuvers than male fighter pilots. Something to do with having smaller bodies on average. But that's a very useful attribute for a fighter pilot.

Also, when I did the test to see if I could be a fighter pilot in the military the entire test was multitasking. It was reminiscent of this.

That's quite surprising to me. I would expect tests for vision (static/dynamic visual acuity, distance perception, etc.), reaction time and hand-eye coordination to be of fundamental importance.

You tested for a fighter pilot? Tell us the story; when was that, how did it go?

That's a pretty cool game, btw. I really liked it when I first played it.

I understand that female fighter pilots are able to resist losing consciousness during high-g maneuvers than male fighter pilots. Something to do with having smaller bodies on average. But that's a very useful attribute for a fighter pilot.

Really? I didn't know that, it's interesting. Do you have any sources explaining why?

Back