Many Muslims Have More Freedom to Practice Their Religion in the USA than in the Middle East

platypus44

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Despite accusations that we are guilty of Islamophobia, we actually provide many Muslims a safer and more secure environment in which they can practice their religion free from violent attack.
At a minimum this would include Shiites in Sunni majority countries and Sunnis in Shiite majority countries. It also would include Alevis in Turkey, many Sufis throughout the Muslim world, minority sects (especially in Pakistan).
The extremely radical Salafists also persecute Sunnis who do not agree to every detail of their doctrine.

Its more acceptable to be a Muslim than a Christian in the USA

I'm still waiting for it to be acceptable for me to tell people I'm a Sherdogger here in the US.

Despite accusations that we are guilty of Islamophobia, we actually provide many Muslims a safer and more secure environment in which they can practice their religion free from violent attack.
At a minimum this would include Shiites in Sunni majority countries and Sunnis in Shiite majority countries. It also would include Alevis in Turkey, many Sufis throughout the Muslim world, minority sects (especially in Pakistan).
The extremely radical Salafists also persecute Sunnis who do not agree to every detail of their doctrine.
Its not even just the minority sects and beliefs that get persecuted nor is it only Salafists and Islamists doing the persecution. In some countries even if you subscribe to the majority beliefs you might be targeted for being too religious. Growing a beard or attending mosque too often could get you targeted in some of the secular dictatorships like Baathist Iraq and Syria, Egypt, and Turkey to name a few.

You're far more free to be a devoutly religious Muslim in the US than in many of those countries where the mere fact that you're above average in religiosity can put you on the state's radar.

Last edited:
Absolutely.

If you are a Shia Saudi, there is no question you are freer here than in Saudi.
If you are a Sunni Arab, you are certainly safer and freer here than in Iran.
If you are Shia in Bahrain,Kuwait,UAE,Pakistan,Libya,Egypt,parts of Syria and Iraq , Indonesia, Malasia, Brunei - you are freer and safer here.
If you are Sunni, you are safer and freer here than in parts of Syria and Iraq.

Even if you were a Sunni in a Sunni majority country, you are freer here because your specific Sunnis school of thought might not be the one in power. Or you might be Sunni from a racial/ethnic minority. Or you are overtly religous/pious and the country you are in, like some former Soviet 'Stans, see such behavior as a threat.

If you support the Brotherhood, you can do so in safety here, but not in Egypt, Saudi,Bahrain,Kuwait,UAE.

And it goes without saying that Ahmadis are unquestionably safer here than in Pakistan or Sunni chauvinist countries. Mainstream Islam doesn't even accept them as Muslims. Our government and society has no similar restrictions on how Ahmadis define themselves.

No surprise there. We’re descendants of the British Empire.

The best culture that has been developed so far.

Its more acceptable to be a Muslim than a Christian in the USA
Yeah and if anything that will be what goes bad long term. And I’m sure it far far easier than being a Christian in Muslim counties for sure. I wonder if they have political people pushing for Christianophobia laws over there...

Last edited:
Did you all hear about the 230 killed by militants in Egypt earlier today/last night?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...at-mosque-in-egypts-north-sinai-idUSKBN1DO1AN

"CAIRO (Reuters) - Militants killed more than 230 people at a mosque in North Sinai on Friday, detonating a bomb and gunning down worshippers in the deadliest such attack of Egypt’s modern history, state media and witnesses said."
I think that’s just part and parcel of living in a Muslim country in 2017.

Imagine that. Freedom to practice your religion in a country that has freedom of religion as one of its founding principles. Whodah thunk it?

You are allowed to worship anything in the USA. Except at college. There you can only worship liberalism.

I'm still waiting for it to be acceptable for me to tell people I'm a Sherdogger here in the US.

You'd have better results telling people you were a leper

Back