Marcelo Garcia Back Onto the Mats: UPDATE, LINK INCLUDED NOW

Why did he retire so young in the first place ?
Well, I believe his first academy opened in Florida back in 2007 or 2008 right when he was still an active competitor. And then around 2010 or 2011, he opened the New York one and lived in New York. The academy started growing and by mid 2012, he was contemplating on whether or not he would compete in the 2013 ADCC and he realized his academy was growing by leaps and bounds and he had alot of promising students. Marcelo said that he knew if he was to stay an active competitor, he could not be the trainer his students needed since there would be days he would be tired from training and could not, and would not be able to, focus on them like they deserve. Of course with retirement, he decided to have kids and by the time he determined he was done for sure, summer of 2013, he also found out his wife was pregnant which cemented it for him.

Marcelo vs Dildo Danis -- the Master comes back to choke the douche bag former student the fuck out.

At this stage, douche bag might win.
Even their rolls on tape weren’t as one sided as many would believe simply because Danis is a huge guy and worse, was taught by MG and thus knows his set-ups.

Didn't watch the video as I'm pretending to work, but I'll be interested to see how his game/strategy has changed, if at all, whether it'll be gi or no gi, whether he challenges the new generation or takes old guard super fights, and if he does fight the new generation, what happens.

He's so technical and so slick. I'll post three of my favorite gifs of him rolling

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Succussful guillotine without guard like WTF?
giphy.gif

And since the Funky one is officially in the UFC, here's to the guy Ben said "out Funky'd me"
giphy.gif

Even their rolls on tape weren’t as one sided as many would believe simply because Danis is a huge guy and worse, was taught by MG and thus knows his set-ups.

Didn't Danis fight in the same weight class in the gi as Marcelo?

Roger Gracie is the true GOAT.

Would love to see Roger do the ADCC once more, looking at him rolling in no-gi he is 10x better nowadays then he was in 2005.

Didn't watch the video as I'm pretending to work, but I'll be interested to see how his game/strategy has changed, if at all, whether it'll be gi or no gi, whether he challenges the new generation or takes old guard super fights, and if he does fight the new generation, what happens.

At his level he can probably force choke most people.

tenor.gif

Roger Gracie is the true GOAT.
Hard to even legitimize that. Sure, maybe at his weight class. He faced Marcelo twice and he outweighed Marcelo by 40lbs both time. And Marcelo excelled for YEARS in the arguably the most talent stacked division. Skill for skill, being fair and unbiased, it's hard to say Roger is greater than Marcelo.

Also, Roger has fought a smaller Xande 8 times, losing the last 3 times consecutively and Xande is a 94kg or even 87kg and Roger has not grappled at less than 99KG since 2003 as well as losing to Jacare both times, a guy could never beat and Jacare was 88KGs. Why this matters? As the bigger man, he shouldn't lose to the smaller guys. As Helio, Rickson, Renzo and even Roger has stated, "if two guys are equally skilled, the bigger man should never lose."

A great and unbiased look at the GOATs of grappling based on actual top notch grappling acheivements (ADCC, Mundials, Pan-Am, and Brasileiro placements)

https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-news/top-10-bjj-fighters-of-all-time

Maybe, I’m not sure, but Danis just dwarfs him so I just imagine the bigger frame guy carrying more size, even if they weighed the same during competitions.

Hard to even legitimize that. Sure, maybe at his weight class. He faced Marcelo twice and he outweighed Marcelo by 40lbs both time. And Marcelo excelled for YEARS in the arguably the most talent stacked division. Skill for skill, being fair and unbiased, it's hard to say Roger is greater than Marcelo.

Roger is the GOAT in the gi in the absolute division. Sure he is bigger but in the absolute you can be as big as you want.
Roger's techniques are better and he tapped Marcelo, sure Marcelo might be better P4P but it's P4P is stupid anyway.

Why did he retire so young in the first place ?
Won 9 world titles and then started a family, lost a child in the process, and was busy running a huge academy full time and started dedicating all of his time to his family and his students.

Yeah if you go on MGinaction and watch they have well into the double digits and most of them are all out wars. They trade taps a lot on some of them. They're probably the most fun rolls to watch on the website. Those and Marcelo's rolls with Braulio Estima and Ryan Hall.

Yes but he's put on a little size. He'd compete one higher as of now.

Back