Marcus Aurelius sketch

It was a good sketch by the way.

Also 'meditations' is one of my favourite books. It's not for everyone, but if you read it at the right point in your life you will relate to it and appreciate it.

Damn, I got the quote wrong, I shoulda looked it up

I knew what you were going for sir, that means everyone else does too ;)

Looks pretty nice, bravo!
Beside eyes you said (wich can be bit fixed without lot effort) only advice i can offer is to put attention on not make hair area look darker (as if was another color) when drawing statues.
I know it's tricky because you have so many more sources of shadows there, but have to play it on the whites keeping them bright as possible and keeping shadows light

this can be your friend if you like that route
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kneaded_eraser

If you want try cool thing, next time try use a middle level color paper (like gray or beige or similar) so you can work using both white and black, results are very powerful even when you still have to develop your skills and have to "add" light rather than use it as the paper base help a lot to learn how it works

Just to give idea of stuff you can do
maxresdefault.jpg

Disegni-Matite-colorate-su-Fogli-con-fondo-acrilico-omogeneo5.jpg

strathmore-toned-gray.jpg

These are some great points which I didn’t even consider. Looking at the original I have made the hair a bit darker it seems, but the resolution on the source material weren’t the greatest so I had to sort of make the hair up. I’m sometimes hard on myself for not being creative enough and have to remind myself that I’m still very green and these practice drawings are for study purposes, but in little bits I’m becoming more creative, and that comes with confidence which is built up differently for each individual. I take confidence in knowledge and the “correct” way of doing things, but I still allow myself to do things wrong, you have to

I’m currently looking for my next piece. The Google arts and culture app is pretty decent I’ve recently discovered

Definitely badass sir.

The facial map is a difficult one to navigate, but it looks like you are nailing it.
I have tried to carve a couple of faces, and its a serious task.
I think I'm starting to understand a little, but it's different than putting it in paper.
I still have much to learn lol.

It is man. But it’s such a joy when it starts coming together and starts to look real, and those little parts of your brain for facial recognition start to trigger. I think for me I’ve chose to dive in to portraits because they’re the most difficult, but that differs from person to person. I want to get some fundamental skills in my repertoire and then in a few months I might start studying colour theory to add some colour to my drawings, I’ll see how I progress.

The book I’m reading atm teaches you how to “construct” a skull and face on paper, so it definitely would translate to sculptures as well

Head and Hands by Andrew Loomis

It is man. But it’s such a joy when it starts coming together and starts to look real, and those little parts of your brain for facial recognition start to trigger. I think for me I’ve chose to dive in to portraits because they’re the most difficult, but that differs from person to person. I want to get some fundamental skills in my repertoire and then in a few months I might start studying colour theory to add some colour to my drawings, I’ll see how I progress.

The book I’m reading atm teaches you how to “construct” a skull and face on paper, so it definitely would translate to sculptures as well

Head and Hands by Andrew Loomis

Color would be the tip of the iceberg for you sir.
You definitely have the skill, and more importantly the eye.

Thanks for the recco, I'll be checking that book out.

I was thinking about doing a Leonardo Davinci sketch but his super long beard makes it hard to fit him on a page I’ll have to figure it out.

And thanks man. I’m working to get better so it’s great to hear it’s appreciated

🥰
Have you tried drawing smaller..?

I’m relatively inexperienced but for where I’m at I’m very pleased with how this turned out. Done the eyes a bit too big but hey, that’s part of the game. We win or we learn!

View attachment 1041267

Edit: Thanks to everyone for your kind words of encouragement!
Hey man that's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

Have you tried drawing smaller..?

When you’re learning you’re supposed to draw bigger, it’s easier contrary to what people might think. But even then if you look for any pictures of him, his beard is like 2-3 times the length of his face. I’ll try figuring it out. For now I’m drawing Feyd off Dune. He has no eyebrows so it’s quite tough

When you’re learning you’re supposed to draw bigger, it’s easier contrary to what people might think. But even then if you look for any pictures of him, his beard is like 2-3 times the length of his face. I’ll try figuring it out. For now I’m drawing Feyd off Dune. He has no eyebrows so it’s quite tough
I wouldn’t know…

Back