Marijuana legalisation causing violent crime to fall in US states, study finds

Doesn't surprise me, I remember here in Canada where I grew up a guy died for something like 3 pounds. Shot to death like c'mon.

I would say yes and no.

If we were part of the village, town, and city, the public lives of the past were dominated by the orthodoxy of thought, aristocracy, religious men and others who made up philosophers of Athens aside, and they could see this, and wanted to think about how to change this.

Even then some died for those changes. Reading "The Republic" one really gets a sense for what a kind and thoughtful man Socrates was trying to be.

If you were outside of the village, town, and city, then most had better be a wolf, or know how to run with wolves.

History is a pack of lies told by the winner.

History is a pack of lies told by the winner.

In part true, especially of political history.

Although, the loser was often just as corrupt and contemptible, and often lost out of ignorance.

Their stories usually did not disappear form history either. We can hear their contempt, outrage, and dissonance over how things "went down" in a lot of accounts.

The ancient world was all about having the biggest, and best face of events and crushing your enemies.

I certainly respect your first hand experience and expertise as a social worker.

That said, what would you suggest can be done to restrict young people sitting around melting their minds with marijuana at 14?

Full disclosure: I knew a kid from Flint, Michigan who experienced the death of his father at the age of 12, came from an abusive background, and had seen enough things by 13 that made him see like someone who was 23.

The kid could write circles around most people. A true phenom of the English language... then he got into hard drugs, in trouble with the law, and a lot of coke and marijuana later had cooked his mental troubles into a stew of mumbling slacker slurry.

He lost that potential, at least in that form, although gladly I think he is rebounding somewhat to hopefully tell that story.

I think weed effects the young because it's the "cool"thing to do. Their remodels may consist of musician's, actors or the older kid down the street who they look up too.

Then they hear that weed is the least harmful drug compared to all others. This may be true to an extent but they don't see how it's effects them in negative ways. Some of my clients have no motivation when smoking weed, some become hermits, paranoid, incoherent and not goal oriented.

I believe weed best property is it's medical use. I believe it's better to use then taking medication.

I think weed effects the young because it's the "cool"thing to do. Their remodels may consist of musician's, actors or the older kid down the street who they look up too.

Then they hear that weed is the least harmful drug compared to all others. This may be true to an extent but they don't see how it's effects them in negative ways. Some of my clients have no motivation when smoking weed, some become hermits, paranoid, incoherent and not goal oriented.

I believe weed best property is it's medical use. I believe it's better to use then taking medication.

All fair enough.

How about strictly controlling the sale until 21? Obviously, a lot of the poor and impressionable from challenging family backgrounds are still going to be heavily influenced that way.

What can we do to cut off the "cool" of things and have the kind of counseling, penalties, or prohibition that will really make them wait until 21?

It is doable, but, what price and how would you pay?

All fair enough.

How about strictly controlling the sale until 21? Obviously, a lot of the poor and impressionable from challenging family backgrounds are still going to be heavily influenced that way.

What can we do to cut off the "cool" of things and have the kind of counseling, penalties, or prohibition that will really make them wait until 21?

You can die for your country at 18 years old but not drink or smoke? Seems fishy to me.

You can die for your country at 18 years old but not drink or smoke? Seems fishy to me.

I agree with you in spirit, but sadly warriors are best young, and we are all going to die for something someday.

Better to die with honor than smoke your life away behind Taco Bell?

That is a terrible human calculus to make, however, is that not right?

We should be honest about both choices and not politicize them.

Join the Army: Hey son, you will defend America, but you could also die a horribly painful death and be emotionally scarred. Do what is right.

Smoke the dope: Hey son, you will see and discover new things, but that could ruin your cognitive ability and limit your material potential for the rest of your short life if you smoke too young. Do what is right.

-----------

I could be wrong about that logic as well, there are a lot of pitfalls and hidden dangers in that kind of thinking.

Do let me know your thoughts.

I agree with you in spirit, but sadly warriors are best young, and we are all going to die for something someday.

Better to die with honor than smoke your life away behind Taco Bell?

That is a terrible human calculus to make, however, is that not right?

We should be honest about both choices and not politicize them.

Join the Army: Hey son, you will defend America, but you could also die a horribly painful death and be emotionally scarred. Do what is right.

Smoke the dope: Hey son, you will see and discover new things, but that could ruin your cognitive ability and limit your material potential for the rest of your short life if you smoke too young. Do what is right.

if they are not adults, don't expect their blood to be split. If you are saying they are not mature enough to make those sorts of decisions, how can they be mature enough to kill for you?

if they are not adults, don't expect their blood to be split. If you are saying they are not mature enough to make those sorts of decisions, how can they be mature enough to kill for you?

I guess it all goes down to what we think life is and what is worth dying for.

Choppy waters to explore on the best of days.

Good. Wish it could have been like this earlier. Through being involved with weed circles here back in the day I was in touch with fools dealin hard drugs like mushrooms, cocaine, ecstasy, molly, meth, heroin, every fucking pill ever, ect, ect. I messed with those first three a few times and pills a whole hell of a lot.

I'm a bit surprised. Does the legalisation include reduced penalties for growing weed? They had to ramp back decriminalisation here, because it increased the presence and conflict between organised crime groups using the state as a base to grow weed. They'd grow it here and send it interstate where penalties (and prices/profit) were much higher, then pills and powders would come back through the same pipeline.

All fair enough.

I honestly think that defenders of pot need to stop saying that there are no negative effects to the brain or body at all. They need to also stop comparing the drug to other hard drugs and accepting that its the least harmful drug.( our kids don't need to hear this)

When my clients ask me if I think pot is worse than any other drug. I informed them that anything you abuse is bad for you.(which my clients most of the time are abusing pot.)

My biggest pet peeve is when my clients say they need pot for medical use. Most of the time people just want to get high and have no medical need for pot. Atleast be honest about getting high and not making up some diagnoses on why you need pot lol.

I do believe it should be legal if alcohol and pain medication are.

I honestly think that defenders of pot need to stop saying that there are no negative effects to the brain or body at all. They need to also stop comparing the drug to other hard drugs and accepting that its the least harmful drug.( our kids don't need to hear this)

When my clients ask me if I think pot is worse than any other drug. I informed them that anything you abuse is bad for you.(which my clients most of the time are abusing pot.)

My biggest pet peeve is when my clients say they need pot for medical use. Most of the time people just want to get high and have no medical need for pot. Atleast be honest about getting high and not making up some diagnoses on why you need pot lol.

I do believe it should be legal if alcohol and pain medication are.

I don't think we can have real education on the pitfalls of marijuana, while it is attacked with such blatant propaganda.

The vast majority of this country has supported legalization for quite some time now, and it still isn't legal on the federal level.

There is organised opposition to the legalisation of weed, and they have no moral issues using propaganda, and fear mongering to keep weed illegal. This is where the counter disinformation of weed being completely harmless comes from.

Also, let's be honest. If a person is interested in art as a profession, weed is a PED.

I think a message of everything in moderation, instead of saying weed is dangerous, is more honest, and would resonate with youth more.

DARE was a failure. Let's stop lying to these kids.

As a social worker.. weed destroys youngsters future, sad really.
Drinking too much water will kill you, and alcohol impairs people to the point of violence and/or destruction a lot more than a little reefer ever will.

Everyone should just stay inside and never leave their house, the world is simply too dangerous.

<{vega}>

Back