Marijuana legalisation causing violent crime to fall in US states, study finds

As it is often pointed out as a slight against police, violent crime has been falling for decades(with exceptions being Chicago and some other shitty cities), so how they figured it is because of mj legalization, is beyond me.

I honestly think that defenders of pot need to stop saying that there are no negative effects to the brain or body at all. They need to also stop comparing the drug to other hard drugs and accepting that its the least harmful drug.( our kids don't need to hear this)

When my clients ask me if I think pot is worse than any other drug. I informed them that anything you abuse is bad for you.(which my clients most of the time are abusing pot.)

My biggest pet peeve is when my clients say they need pot for medical use. Most of the time people just want to get high and have no medical need for pot. Atleast be honest about getting high and not making up some diagnoses on why you need pot lol.

I do believe it should be legal if alcohol and pain medication are.

True, true...

That's an ancient political problem.Most people are so "sure" of the side they have chosen that seeing the positive/negatives of something is difficult at best. Winning becomes more important than dealing with or often than even seeing the consequences.

I wonder what legalization did to crime near the US/Canadian border in Washington state?

Drinking too much water will kill you, and alcohol impairs people to the point of violence and/or destruction a lot more than a little reefer ever will.

Everyone should just stay inside and never leave their house, the world is simply too dangerous.

<{vega}>

Yup. I went over any abuse of anything is bad for you.

As it is often pointed out as a slight against police, violent crime has been falling for decades(with exceptions being Chicago and some other shitty cities), so how they figured it is because of mj legalization, is beyond me.
They can show a correlation between decreased drug trafficking and decreased crime in states with medical or legal pot, and the correlation is stronger at the border. The study is paywall, so I don't know how they account for the overall drop in illegal border crossings, which should also correlate with decreased violent crime.

Next you'll tell us tax revenue from these new businesses also rises and new jobs are created and less folks in jail!

I have to say I am surprised how fast the tide has turned on this issue.

I honestly think that defenders of pot need to stop saying that there are no negative effects to the brain or body at all.

I never hear anyome say there is no negative effects at all.

No. That is not the reason. I am working on a case on a rural area right now where a gang of middle aged country boys formed to combat people stealing their legal grow because the police won't do anything. It's kidnapping and torture case.

Its called controlling for variables, pretty basic science.

Its called controlling for variables, pretty basic science.
How would you control for the simultaneous drop in illegal border crossing, and how much of that is due to mj laws? Seems difficult with such time-limited data.

Wouldn't say the least if you start smoking young. I do believe that it causes frontal lobe delay development to the brain like some studies suggest. I don't believe weed has much effect on the brain if you smoke when you are older.
I smoke a lot, but I do think people should wait until they are older (after 18) to start, if they choose to do so. It can have positive effects for many different mental and physical situations, but it can also slow your cognitive skills down when you start too early. A child's brain is still developing, it's still a sponge.

However, the legislation of cannabis, regulation and the de-stigmatization of it is a good thing IMO. Once it's not so taboo, it won't be as much of a big deal. It will hurt the black market, give excess tax revenue towards the state, etc.

How would you control for the simultaneous drop in illegal border crossing, and how much of that is due to mj laws? Seems difficult with such time-limited data.
I don't know how they did it but I imagine you would also examine border counties that do not have legalized MJ.

Why not? I'm a big fan of Mastodon.

One of the best memes I've seen

XGPhxfe.jpg

I think weed effects the young because it's the "cool"thing to do. Their remodels may consist of musician's, actors or the older kid down the street who they look up too.

Then they hear that weed is the least harmful drug compared to all others. This may be true to an extent but they don't see how it's effects them in negative ways. Some of my clients have no motivation when smoking weed, some become hermits, paranoid, incoherent and not goal oriented.

I believe weed best property is it's medical use. I believe it's better to use then taking medication.

First of all, thanks for what you do to help young people. I have to ask though, who are these kids that you work with?
The potential harm is greater for certain groups. Especially those already dealing with other issues.

Conversely though, there are lots of people that have used it since a young age and have been extremely successful. One of the problems with the past prohibition is it forced people to hide their usage. You'd likely be shocked by some of the people I've shared it with. School teachers, Principals, doctors, my brother in law who is an attorney. As I near 50, I can say that most of the true pot heads I knew in HS are still doing just fine. When I say pot head, I mean people that didn't like harder drugs and preferred weed over alcohol. Most of the guys that liked the harder stuff are gone, or are born again christians. Not sure which is worse. I lost a lot of the drinkers to drunk driving accidents. There is a bunch of them that drink so much now that their health suffers and they are fat af. I have my 30 year HS reunion this year. I'm going to have to take a census!

if they are not adults, don't expect their blood to be split. If you are saying they are not mature enough to make those sorts of decisions, how can they be mature enough to kill for you?
You'd be shocked, man. Guys in the military sometimes grow up and mature really quickly because of the environment. A 22 y/o on their second tour to Iraq or Afghanistan has a hell of a lot more maturity than many of their peers who just graduated from college. When I showed up as a young officer at 22 and met some of the soldiers that I would be leading, I actually thought that some of them were older than me. The opposite was true. I guess what I am saying is that maturity does not move at a constant with time as the X axis.

Yup. I went over any abuse of anything is bad for you.
Well you ruined your goodwill with a really stupid blanket statement here:
I honestly think that defenders of pot need to stop saying that there are no negative effects to the brain or body at all. They need to also stop comparing the drug to other hard drugs and accepting that its the least harmful drug.( our kids don't need to hear this)

I get overall what you'e saying to a point, but meh. Having adults lie to kids about any drugs, especially ones less harmful than alcohol, just doesn't work.

I smoked a lot of pot because I liked it, whereas you'd have to have a gun pointed at my head for me to drink alcohol. Everyone is different.

There will always be shitty and lazy teenagers. Damn kids, amirite?

Back