Marvin Hagler vs. Tommy Hearns round. 1 - Was it the greatest round in boxing history?

Was it the greatest round in boxing history?

• Total voters
Considering the calibur of the fighters, yes. Two guys at the top of their game. Haglers domination of the MW division. Hearns dominating everyone he fought while entering the division. Plenty of people thought Hearns would also dethrown Hagler who was dominant for so long.

Sure, there have been some epic rounds, but all things considering, this one definitely takes the cake. Especially being a high stakes title fight between two of the sports premiere fighters at the time.

If you count the quality of the opponents to the this argument it would be without a doubt the best round in boxing history.

There probably was a better round out there. But greatest round 1? Can't think of a fight that started off hotter.

Foreman vs Lyle? That one was fire works early on too.

There probably was a better round out there. But greatest round 1? Can't think of a fight that started off hotter.

4th round Foreman vs Lyle is the most exciting round in HW I have seen. I've said it before, I get a concussion just by watching it.

It had zero knockdowns and neither guy was really hurt that badly so it's hard to argue that it was the best.

It's probably the hottest start to a super fight ever though. Both guys made claims before the fight and delivered. Nowadays we're used to guys talking trash and then point fighting for 12 rounds.

Not a great idea on Hearns's part to get into a firefight with Hagler, though. This was a brilliant mind game played by Hagler on a guy who was susceptible to taking into account the fan's expectations of a match. Hagler built it up as a war and he got one.

Last edited:
Some say they had the greatest boxing fight ever. Which only lasted 3 rounds.

However, there round 1 the greatest round ever?

Poor tommy, he thought he could do what he did to Duran, only to find a bigger, stronger athlete who came in better prepared mentally and physically than Duran. He couldn't back Hagler up, couldn't keep him off of him and couldn't stop him from getting inside. I always thought the next two rounds were anticlimatic and that the first round was really the end for tommy. He claims (as does Steward) that his legs were tired inexplicably (steward always insisted that one of tommy's many acolytes massaged his legs before the fight) but I just think he took some bombs in that first round and couldn't recover, couldn't box well enough and was too tired. Tommy was a bad man but he was chinny and his stamina was a weakness. He still managed to give Hagler and Leonard their career defining wins.

It had zero knockdowns and neither guy was really hurt that badly so it's hard to argue that it was the best.

It's probably the hottest start to a super fight ever though. Both guys made claims before the fight and delivered. Nowadays we're used to guys talking trash and then point fighting for 12 rounds.

Not a great idea on Hearns's part to get into a firefight with Hagler, though. This was a brilliant mind game played by Hagler on a guy who was susceptible to taking into account the fan's expectations of a match. Hagler built it up as a war and he got one.
Thats how Hearns fought though. Haggler didn't really bait him into anything.

He could box too, if he wanted to. Had a great jab which he used to win the light heavyweight title even as an older guy. He just got a little too over-confident in his power after he smoked a blown-up lightweight in Duran. Hagler was solid as a rock, he wasn't going to go away before Hearns gassed out (or in this case, broke his hand on Hagler's skull). He was way too willing to trade close-range punches with Hagler who was much shorter and stronger and had a huge advantage in the trenches.

The truth is he needed to fight a much more conservative, outright boring fight in order to have a chance. Hagler could be lulled to sleep a little bit if the other guy wasn't engaging him much. Leonard and Duran were able to do this. Hearns had the range and at his best was a really good controller of distance with the jab, but he was pretty much just swinging wildly here. Got a little over-excited after seemingly stunning Hagler a little bit.

Yeah, it wasn't exactly complicated to draw Hearns into a firefight and I don't think post-Duran Hagler wanted a boxing contest against prime Hearns, who was basically impossible to outpoint.

Ward was a gate keeper but he had one of the finest collection of liver punch knockouts in boxing history. Gatti wasn't the most technical boxer but his come from behind wins show he was as determined to win as anyone else that has ever laced up the gloves.

Maybe there isn't enough two way action to qualify as the best round ever but some of the best rounds are when a guy is almost stopped but he rallies back from the precipice of defeat to win the round.

Gatti. had tremendous heart I agree and Ward was quite technical but they were still several leagues beneath a Marvin Hagler whom I rate quite higher than Floyd Mayweather f.e. Haggler vs Hearns was the best of the best in an epic clash. Gatti was a good brawler . It's really no comparison as there wasn't as much on the line and the level skill can't be compared.

round 9 gatti/ward and corrales/castillo round 10 take it for me but it's up there with those.

i think the first round of that one was pretty pedestrian. watched a month or so ago. heats up big by round 3 though. i would say cooper/moorer would be a better example for heavyweights. they came out swinging

Back