Maryland to build low income housing in prosperous area after law suit

Aren't Baltimore's public schools some of the most funded in the nation? I get what you're saying, but that doesn't really apply here. You could take a bunch of these ghetto kids and plop them down in the best schools in the country and they will still fail out because they don't give a shit. They need people at HOME making an investment in their education, not the city/state.

Yeah I believe its the highest amount of spending per pupil in the nation.

Even if we did equal funding per school, they'd never stop crying about how that scheme was somehow racist as well.

You could avoid this most likely if you changed the formula for public school funding.

If it wasn't based on local property taxes these things might not happen.

The current school funding formula came about as a reaction to school integration.

If school funding was done on a statewide level so all public schools had equal funding there wouldn't be as much of an outcry for this type of thing.

Interesting. 2 things come to mind. First, homeowners in nice school districts already pay through the nose. So if we are spreading those funds out to the inner city that will leave the suburbs under funded. We already know the inner city can't generate more revenue so the taxes in the burbs will have to go up drastically to maintain the same levels.
Second, is funding really the problem? You can have the nicest computers, highly paid teachers, books and desks, but if the kids all have behavioral problems will it really make an impact?

Interesting. 2 things come to mind. First, homeowners in nice school districts already pay through the nose. So if we are spreading those funds out to the inner city that will leave the suburbs under funded. We already know the inner city can't generate more revenue so the taxes in the burbs will have to go up drastically to maintain the same levels.
Second, is funding really the problem? You can have the nicest computers, highly paid teachers, books and desks, but if the kids all have behavioral problems will it really make an impact?

If funding didn't matter people wouldn't choose to live in areas with high property taxes. They live there because the schools are better.

Just look at NJ and MA, they pay the most for public schools and are always amongst the top states.

And I think it goes without saying that if you give more funding to poorer areas you'll either have to increase total funding or take away some from the affluent areas. We should also look into whether or not funding through property taxes is the best approach.

And for these rich suburban schools how much money are they spending on frivolous stuff? Does every school need a Football Stadium?

Money is the only part of the equations but you have to be able to hire good teachers.

should be excellent for property values....

this shouldn't even be theoretically possible, beggars can't be choosers

School Funding is done on a statewide level, correct, as a Reserved Power in the Constitution? Which is why states get Federal block grants specifically for education purposes?

Didn't the states themselves drop the ball by relying on the local property tax issue?
I'm not aware of any Federal regulation that stipulates it must be that way, correct me if I'm wrong please....

If funding didn't matter people wouldn't choose to live in areas with high property taxes. They live there because the schools are better.

Just look at NJ and MA, they pay the most for public schools and are always amongst the top states.

And I think it goes without saying that if you give more funding to poorer areas you'll either have to increase total funding or take away some from the affluent areas. We should also look into whether or not funding through property taxes is the best approach.

And for these rich suburban schools how much money are they spending on frivolous stuff? Does every school need a Football Stadium?

Money is the only part of the equations but you have to be able to hire good teachers.

I think people choose to live in the suburbs because they want to escape the crime, congestion, and politics of the city. Good schools and ample funding is just the product of a group of well off and like minded people congregating together.

It's like a chicken and egg scenario. People don't go to the burbs because the schools are good. The schools are good because of the people who choose to move to the burbs. These schools get great results not because the teachers make more dough but because the students have parents heavily involved in their education. Because they are taught values. .. and expected to do well in school. Because there aren't the distractions that you deal with in the inner city because the kids are relatively well behaved.

I think people choose to live in the suburbs because they want to escape the crime, congestion, and politics of the city. Good schools and ample funding is just the product of a group of well off and like minded people congregating together.

It's like a chicken and egg scenario. People don't go to the burbs because the schools are good. The schools are good because of the people who choose to move to the burbs. These schools get great results not because the teachers make more dough but because the students have parents heavily involved in their education. Because they are taught values. .. and expected to do well in school. Because there aren't the distractions that you deal with in the inner city because the kids are relatively well behaved.

But white flight occurred as a reaction to integration mandated by the courts. So we know what happened first.

I live in Philly and it's gentrifying but a lot of people around my age have the same thoughts. They love living in the city but the schools are shit. So they stay in the city until it's time to have kids and then move out to the Burbs.

But white flight occurred as a reaction to integration mandated by the courts. So we know what happened first.

I live in Philly and it's gentrifying but a lot of people around my age have the same thoughts. They love living in the city but the schools are shit. So they stay in the city until it's time to have kids and then move out to the Burbs.
you're bringing up some solid pts here, respect

I must add that while white flight to the suburbs coincided w/ the civil rights era, it also coincided w/ two others: The Eisenhower Federal Interstate System and the rise of fast food establishments

Both enabled families to live further from the city, have solid access/transportation, and the availability of cheap and easy food via car
Also, it coincided w/ Veterans returning from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam (with the first two being still largely segregated) and having the GI Bill to attend school or purchase a suburbia home or farm for a dollar down, something they didn't have the chance to do likely prior

But you're totally right w/ your points also, I just think it was a complex mix of post WWII issues (with integration playing a huge role, if not perhaps the largest)

Just trying to shift the voting demographics in the districts I'm sure

Maybe white flight in the 50s. That may have been just a bunch of racist crackers but maybe they had some valid reasons as well. Either way it's a free country and you can live where you choose. In the last 40 years it's people that were raised in the suburbs that choose to buy a home in the suburbs. Only people I know that live in major cities have no other option because of their career.

Ever notice how the white liberals who call anyone conservative a racist never build their new homes in minority neighborhoods. The land is cheap. Tear down the run down structures and you can build your mini-mansion with the minority groups you adore.

As I drive around in my gas powered car, I know that there are lots of climate change alarmists in the houses that I pass, but it is very rare to see solar panels on the roof. All talk...

Back