Master Wong still doesn't get it

He's annoying and super aggro. Another butt hurt TMA hack.

Ignore him. He doesn't register with me at all. Hes basically a larper with a couple of muscles.

How did it play out in the end?

I have a flaw of giving long winded explanations but I'll explain if you're willing to read:

Lol they set up like this front, and arched around me. It completely caught me off guard as I only knew the one guy. It admittedly pissed me off, and made me laugh at the same time. However, there is no honor in a street fight, and he was more prepared than I was. I think it was funny he felt he needed all those people for just me. lol

I swallowed my pride and walked away best I could. They were waiting for me to escalate I guess. I looked each one of them in the face as I walked through their little "circle" partly because I wanted to send a message that if you're going to jump somebody, then do it, and partly because I wanted to make sure none of them tried to sucker punch me and I could react if someone attacked me.

None of them seemed to want to make eye contact. I don't look like a soft target, nor did I walk off like one. They weren't as athletic as me from eye glance, probably didn't train as I did, but they had numbers. They were presumably cowards. However, a coward will kill you just because they are scared of you.

"Self Defense" in that situation was knowing they got the drop on me, and being realistic that anything other than getting away was going to catch me an ass whooping.

I eventually caught the guy by himself in a burger joint, and I walked up to him while he was getting his ketchup at the condiment station. I got the drop on him while he was by himself. I got close like a WWE face off and said "what's up?". He put his head down to the ground, and mumbled under his breath. Every fiber in my body wanted to run clean through him. But I gave him a pass. I also didn't want to disrespect their restaurant, and patrons eating.

I have a flaw of giving long winded explanations but I'll explain if you're willing to read:

Lol they set up like this front, and arched around me. It completely caught me off guard as I only knew the one guy. It admittedly pissed me off, and made me laugh at the same time. However, there is no honor in a street fight, and he was more prepared than I was. I think it was funny he felt he needed all those people for just me. lol

I swallowed my pride and walked away best I could. They were waiting for me to escalate I guess. I looked each one of them in the face as I walked through their little "circle" partly because I wanted to send a message that if you're going to jump somebody, then do it, and partly because I wanted to make sure none of them tried to sucker punch me and I could react if someone attacked me.

None of them seemed to want to make eye contact. I don't look like a soft target, nor did I walk off like one. They weren't as athletic as me from eye glance, probably didn't train as I did, but they had numbers. They were presumably cowards. However, a coward will kill you just because they are scared of you.

"Self Defense" in that situation was knowing they got the drop on me, and being realistic that anything other than getting away was going to catch me an ass whooping.

I eventually caught the guy by himself in a burger joint, and I walked up to him while he was getting his ketchup at the condiment station. I got the drop on him while he was by himself. I got close like a WWE face off and said "what's up?". He put his head down to the ground, and mumbled under his breath. Every fiber in my body wanted to run clean through him. But I gave him a pass. I also didn't want to disrespect their restaurant, and patrons eating.

Can be scary. I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. It ended with nothing but could have escalated. It was three guys, but two of them were soft, one was just a big guy. Honestly I think I would have handled it because I saw them setting it up and prepared for the worst. I actually had a handful of sand I had picked up subtly and was gonna go straight in the big guy's eyes and follow with a head butt. In my experience the other two would have scattered at that point. Funny thing is the big guy was there as the "tough guy" but looked more like just a fat D&D type

Can be scary. I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. It ended with nothing but could have escalated. It was three guys, but two of them were soft, one was just a big guy. Honestly I think I would have handled it because I saw them setting it up and prepared for the worst. I actually had a handful of sand I had picked up subtly and was gonna go straight in the big guy's eyes and follow with a head butt. In my experience the other two would have scattered at that point. Funny thing is the big guy was there as the "tough guy" but looked more like just a fat D&D type

Lol that is funny. How did you feel knowing they were setting you up? Did it anger you at all? I pretty much accepted my fate if it were to go down. I don't even fault them for it, it's the "streetz", no honor, no rules. I was actually pissed, and amused at the same time. It was like one of those I'm angry, but I'm in shock at the same time so it's funny.

I always have the thought of if you jump me, you better do a number on my jaw, and make sure I can't speak to my friends about it. Because if I tell them, they're going to want to return some favors with interest. lol

Were you mad? What was going through your mind?

I don't give a fuck about his techniques but Wtf is he doing to stay young? I saw him when I was a young man and now I am an old man. He still looks the same. The fucking dummy he uses for all the demos has aged terribly like a proper englishman.

Lol that is funny. How did you feel knowing they were setting you up? Did it anger you at all? I pretty much accepted my fate if it were to go down. I don't even fault them for it, it's the "streetz", no honor, no rules. I was actually pissed, and amused at the same time. It was like one of those I'm angry, but I'm in shock at the same time so it's funny.

I always have the thought of if you jump me, you better do a number on my jaw, and make sure I can't speak to my friends about it. Because if I tell them, they're going to want to return some favors with interest. lol

Were you mad? What was going through your mind?

Honestly I was more interested in a piece of ass I was following out the door lol. I felt like they didn't know what they were up against. I know the extent of my abilities but I also have a mean streak that can come out when I need it to. I'm from a fairly rough blue collar place and was in my share of fights, basically had a pretty violent upbringing. These guys were idiots at a bar in Austin. Not actual tough guys. It wasn't worth it and I was only going to fight if I had to but I realize the biggest weapons in street fights are: 1) surprise and 2) the actual willingness to do physical harm. Skill and strategy follow those IMO. I knew they were trying to set me up, but they didn't know I knew it, so I had the element of surprise, and I was more than willing to do as much physical harm as possible to deal with the situation. I got laid that night so it ended well haha.

I had a much scarier situation in 2005 in Mexico City. Fucking scary. My wife (at the time) was pregnant, and we were on vacation before our first kid. I saw three young tough looking guys casing us on the subway. I told her something was up. At our stop the doors opened and we waited for a minute to get off, and they waited until we got off. Again I tried to look like I didn't know what was going on. I told my wife to watch and tell me what was going on. They split up, two went up the steps and around a corner, the last who seemed like the leader stayed behind and started walking behind us. Mean looking kid. But he fucked up by getting split up. I turned on him and got right in his face. I asked him what's up in Spanish, he didn't answer and I yelled it at him. I have a good amount of kickboxing experience and hogh level karate, and I also know a good amount of very effective dirty tricks, and I was confident I could blast him and end his night in a couple of seconds. I was definitely worried about weapons but we were in hand to hand range, so I felt if he made a move I'd be on him before he could do anything. He was flat out shocked that I saw the trap and just came right up to him.
It bought us some time, he backed up, we got back on the train and the doors shut at that very second, and we got the fuck out of there.

Funny thing is I was probably more nervous at the bar situation. I think probably because it wasn't life or death, and I wasn't protecting my pregnant wife. The Mexico thing I was ready to kill or die. It's a strange feeling. Terrifying situation and I wasn't really scared at all.

It's really weird because I never get scared when I SHOULD. Hope it doesn't bite me in the ass one day.

Honestly I was more interested in a piece of ass I was following out the door lol. I felt like they didn't know what they were up against. I know the extent of my abilities but I also have a mean streak that can come out when I need it to. I'm from a fairly rough blue collar place and was in my share of fights, basically had a pretty violent upbringing. These guys were idiots at a bar in Austin. Not actual tough guys. It wasn't worth it and I was only going to fight if I had to but I realize the biggest weapons in street fights are: 1) surprise and 2) the actual willingness to do physical harm. Skill and strategy follow those IMO. I knew they were trying to set me up, but they didn't know I knew it, so I had the element of surprise, and I was more than willing to do as much physical harm as possible to deal with the situation. I got laid that night so it ended well haha.

I had a much scarier situation in 2005 in Mexico City. Fucking scary. My wife (at the time) was pregnant, and we were on vacation before our first kid. I saw three young tough looking guys casing us on the subway. I told her something was up. At our stop the doors opened and we waited for a minute to get off, and they waited until we got off. Again I tried to look like I didn't know what was going on. I told my wife to watch and tell me what was going on. They split up, two went up the steps and around a corner, the last who seemed like the leader stayed behind and started walking behind us. Mean looking kid. But he fucked up by getting split up. I turned on him and got right in his face. I asked him what's up in Spanish, he didn't answer and I yelled it at him. I have a good amount of kickboxing experience and hogh level karate, and I also know a good amount of very effective dirty tricks, and I was confident I could blast him and end his night in a couple of seconds. I was definitely worried about weapons but we were in hand to hand range, so I felt if he made a move I'd be on him before he could do anything. He was flat out shocked that I saw the trap and just came right up to him.
It bought us some time, he backed up, we got back on the train and the doors shut at that very second, and we got the fuck out of there.

Funny thing is I was probably more nervous at the bar situation. I think probably because it wasn't life or death, and I wasn't protecting my pregnant wife. The Mexico thing I was ready to kill or die. It's a strange feeling. Terrifying situation and I wasn't really scared at all.

It's really weird because I never get scared when I SHOULD. Hope it doesn't bite me in the ass one day.

You did well the mexico situation. It is more about perception and awareness in many of these 'self defence' situations. And luck.
You psyched him out and then made your escape. Best possible scenario and basically a good template for self defence in general.
You caught him off guard and caused him to get the adrenaline dump thus you played the surprise card and it worked.
But so many other variables and ways it could go wrong, be grateful to providence also you made it through that one.

I'm sure he has nice techniques but he just seems more theory based, at least to me

something often overlooked about fake martial arts is that they do tend to be based on legit theories of combat (trapping and counterpunching, leveraging opp's weight against him, etc.). the problem is that they're so undertested that the practitioners tend to overcompensate with hubris and ridiculous hypotheticals.

You did well the mexico situation. It is more about perception and awareness in many of these 'self defence' situations. And luck.
You psyched him out and then made your escape. Best possible scenario and basically a good template for self defence in general.
You caught him off guard and caused him to get the adrenaline dump thus you played the surprise card and it worked.
But so many other variables and ways it could go wrong, be grateful to providence also you made it through that one.

My ex bitched about everything under the sun, but particularly that I always look at every person everywhere I go. I just always check out the room, look for exits, that type of thing, and she always complained that it seemed weird. Whatever. In this case, she was glad and said she understood why I do that. But she's a woman, and not too bright at that, so it wasn't her job.

For sure it ended the best way possible. Fighting three thugs who may have had knives or guns was definitely not on my to do list and could have ended very badly for me. I'm not stupid, I have two lungs, one heart, one liver, and none of them are resistant to blades.

My cousin got stabbed in a street fight once. Three on one, he was one of the three. Dude with a knife almost killed him(punctured lung that collapsed), fucked up his buddy (stabbed in the stomach and twisted the blade). Their other buddy grabbed a lid from a BBQ pit and hit the dude a couple of times and he ran off.

My step brother once got in a bar fight with a dude who was fresh out of prison, a week or so on parole. He's a big tough dude by normal standards and actually kicked the guy's ass, but then stayed in the same bar. Guy comes back and stabs him from behind. Damn near cut his liver in half. He almost bled out right there. It took something like five or more surgeries and months of time in and out of the hospital. He's still not the same.

An old karate black belt in Houston named Freddy Sanchez. Legit karate fighter and kickboxer. Got into in a McDonald's parking lot with a guy. Got on top, beating the guy up. Guy gets a knife out, one stab right into the heart. Died right there.

Knives are not to be fucked with. I've been dumb and have had my share of fights (like maybe 3 since I was 18), but I've been lucky. Avoid street fights, keep it on the mats.

You can not adequately prepare for a "self defense" scenario as you would a sporting contest.

BJJ, boxing, mma, karate, wrestling etc you can conceptualize what your match will encompass. There is data to assist you.

Self defense has sporadic data meaning it comes in so many different scenarios. There are not a set of rules, techniques, weight classes, number of participants, etc.

Also take into account self defense is different for different people with a greater range of possibilities.

Training for a sport has a much more narrow focus.

"self-defense" is a magnificent con job. i've taught a couple of self-defense seminars for teachers and therapists (not restraint, just general stuff), and you can easily teach somebody 95% of practical self-defense in a long day: 1. distance management 2. verbal & nonverbal deescalation 3. worst-case scenarios (fleeing from punches, bites, hair pulls, grabs)

the remaining 5% is stuff like trap and roll, and Gracie punch block series stuff, which you would need to learn in a dedicated class over a certain period, but honestly even that stuff is more useful in the sense of keeping calm under pressure.

Last edited:
My ex bitched about everything under the sun, but particularly that I always look at every person everywhere I go. I just always check out the room, look for exits, that type of thing, and she always complained that it seemed weird. Whatever. In this case, she was glad and said she understood why I do that. But she's a woman, and not too bright at that, so it wasn't her job.

For sure it ended the best way possible. Fighting three thugs who may have had knives or guns was definitely not on my to do list and could have ended very badly for me. I'm not stupid, I have two lungs, one heart, one liver, and none of them are resistant to blades.

My cousin got stabbed in a street fight once. Three on one, he was one of the three. Dude with a knife almost killed him(punctured lung that collapsed), fucked up his buddy (stabbed in the stomach and twisted the blade). Their other buddy grabbed a lid from a BBQ pit and hit the dude a couple of times and he ran off.

My step brother once got in a bar fight with a dude who was fresh out of prison, a week or so on parole. He's a big tough dude by normal standards and actually kicked the guy's ass, but then stayed in the same bar. Guy comes back and stabs him from behind. Damn near cut his liver in half. He almost bled out right there. It took something like five or more surgeries and months of time in and out of the hospital. He's still not the same.

An old karate black belt in Houston named Freddy Sanchez. Legit karate fighter and kickboxer. Got into in a McDonald's parking lot with a guy. Got on top, beating the guy up. Guy gets a knife out, one stab right into the heart. Died right there.

Knives are not to be fucked with. I've been dumb and have had my share of fights (like maybe 3 since I was 18), but I've been lucky. Avoid street fights, keep it on the mats.

Yup, being switched on and alert to your surroundings without being too conspicuous about it is a habit to take with you wherever you go.

Also the old adage that 'self defence is mainly about defending yourself from youself'
That is from ones own ego.
The incident with your stepbrother sounds like ego there. Kicking some guys ass, but then staying in the same bar as if like 'this is my house'. Alot of guys just cant take that. Alternate scenario the guy comes back with knife, looks for him, doesnt find him then goes home and cools off.
Maybe there would be some risk of comebacks but situation was preventable if common scense overides ego then says, 'Ok, I'm not security I dont work here now its time to leave'.

Scenario of the old blackbelt could also be where knowing MA can actually endanger you. I dont know the circumstances but alot of times if you know you have skills that means you might engage combat where maybe you could have walked away or deescalated. Then the situation changes and the other guy turns it into something else like a weapon situation and you might end up dead.

I know a guy who did bouts in muay thai and had done training camps also in thailand. Saw an altercation going on between a guy and some others who had been drinking and thought he could go in to sort it out. Shouldnt have even involved him and he wouldnt have if not for the MA sense of security that he could go in a 'break it up'. Anyway he was blindsided by another guy when he tried to break up the guys who were fighting and woke up with the medics around him apparently they soccer kicked his head a few times also when he was down so he is lucky no lasting injury or worse.

I see the same look in big/buff bodybuilder types all the time, walking around believing themselves to be 'alpha' with the thought they can kick peoples asses now, but the attitude and behaviour just endagers them more if they come across the wrong guy.

Train realistic MA, maintain situational awareness but always act and think like you dont know MA, try to desescalate and avoid and keep sovereignty over your own ego is the way for self protection.

Last edited:
This follow up video just makes him look worse than before

"Master Wong" still doesn't get it, and his fanboys are even worst! Just like Trump and his fans. All delusional idiots.

And just like trump, the orange dumb idiot, wong thinks talking tough makes him an automatic tough guy. SMH. It doesn't work that way. Talking tough just means he's trying to make up for his shortcoming. In donald trump's case, everyone knows about his tiny little mushroom. hahahaha!

Last edited:
Thompson thought his case was self defense. I don't think it was self defense, but it is what he thought in the moment. That just goes to M Wong's point about chokes may not be acceptable from a legal defense. You are potentially risking your self defense claim when you go for them. I believe that was his point, which is what I was commenting on.

a dangerous fallacy of "self defense" is bullshit instructors communicating the message that "self defense" equals aggression, which is realized by totally destroying your opponent. to me, the first goal of self-defense is deescalation, but if somehow i was attacked then i certainly wouldn't be thinking about biting the person's dick off or whatever master wong recommends.

a dangerous fallacy of "self defense" is bullshit instructors communicating the message that "self defense" equals aggression, which is realized by totally destroying your opponent. to me, the first goal of self-defense is deescalation, but if somehow i was attacked then i certainly wouldn't be thinking about biting the person's dick off or whatever master wong recommends.

When you talk with police officers you realise that most of the time they are being attacked by intoxicated people or mentally instable people. Deescalation isn't fool proof against those kind of people.

One of my BJJ training partner as been doing kung fu for years and he always tells me that those funky wrist locks and quick hand movements is what he uses the most while containing an agressive suspect. But he also trains BJJ, wrestling and Boxing which gives a real time and real itensity training.

You need to be able to execute under pressure and with really little time to think if you want to be able to protect yourself. Self defense strategies can work, but if you don't have to execute under pressure it's useless.

I prefer to have sports BJJ techniques that I do in live rolls all the time than a super self defense gameplan that I only drill.

Anyway, there's so many things that can go wrong in a street fight, thinking that we are invincible because of some training is your worst enemy

Your situational awareness appears to be top notch. That is the biggest thing for me in a self defense situation. You referred to it as surprise, and I agree with you. They both go hand in hand. If you're surprised then your situational awareness was in a state of being unaware, and unprepared. So your situational awareness was low.

Story time:

I was downtown, and we were out with some girls. I think a group of four. We're on foot, walking. I'm never in a state of being unaware, and unprepared. I'm always eye sweeping a place to include people, activities, waistlines, entrances, exits, etc.

Anyways we're walking, and the girls are laughing, and carrying on. They aren't too much paying attention to their surroundings. I notice a guy approaching from a dark lot to our right, with no lighting. The stretch we are on is dimly lit as a whole as some of the lights are flickering or completely out. He sees us and walks intently in our direction, dark clothes, face down relatively hard to notice unless you're looking (as I was out the corner of my eye).

Everyone is still laughing, and I find it strange observing his approach, he is walking towards us as if he wants to intercept us. I am on the sidewalk by the side closest to the street to keep space between my date and any vehicles that may pass. He is moving a bit faster, I grab her and pull her to the other side of me, putting me on the side closest to the guy. I then grab at my waistline. He sees this, stops and changes his direction to walk away from us.

My date starts flipping out, like "why are you grabbing me like that?" I explain to her the situation and everything I saw. She says "you could've told me, instead of grabbing me." lol I told her if I tried to explain to her we probably wouldn't be having this conversation right now, and instead would have been trying to negotiate with our wallets, purses, and maybe even lives.

The situation unfolded in a manner of seconds. That is that surprise element you discussed. Once the guy determined he couldn't get the drop, he disengaged. Can we for sure know he was an assailant? No, but I picked up on his mannerisms, observed the situation, and reacted which potentially defended us all from a rough night.

That surprise and situational awareness played the biggest parts for his offensive, and my defensive tactics. If he had been trying to mug us my martial arts skills would have been greatly hindered if not useless had he got the drop on us, presumably with a weapon. Even having a weapon on me I would have been trying to play catch up and potentially made the situation deadlier trying to react.

I like your tactics. You became the hunter, and not the hunted in that Mexico City situation. Your counter was legit! Hope you never have to respond that way again. Stay safe out there.

"self-defense" is a magnificent con job. i've taught a couple of self-defense seminars for teachers and therapists (not restraint, just general stuff), and you can easily teach somebody 95% of practical self-defense in a long day: 1. distance management 2. verbal & nonverbal deescalation 3. worst-case scenarios (fleeing from punches, bites, hair pulls, grabs)

the remaining 5% is stuff like trap and roll, and Gracie punch block series stuff, which you would need to learn in a dedicated class over a certain period, but honestly even that stuff is more useful in the sense of keeping calm under pressure.

I agree. Guys make a killing off of this stuff. I think you would be best to have a combination of repetition and experience. You also need to be pressure tested, and this can't be in your own comfort zone.

We had an "instructor" once who had us gathered together, he was laughing and b.s.ing with us. All of a sudden he looks at me and yells "Bang! You're shot, what do you guys do?" We're reacting to this and it was very sudden, and unplanned (kind of how self defense can be).

The whole time he is making as much of a commotion as possible, banging on stuff, and yelling to create noise volume to distract us from being able to think. Our adrenaline is spiked, and he is creating external distractions to interfere with our thoughts.

I'm not going to run through the entire drill, but we did well. I understand this is a little removed from the spectrum of grappling but it's all self defense related, and I thought I'd share because I felt there was a connection between it and what you had mentioned about keeping calm under pressure.

How did you get the job in self defense instruction, did it stem from being involved in grappling?

When you talk with police officers you realise that most of the time they are being attacked by intoxicated people or mentally instable people. Deescalation isn't fool proof against those kind of people.

One of my BJJ training partner as been doing kung fu for years and he always tells me that those funky wrist locks and quick hand movements is what he uses the most while containing an agressive suspect. But he also trains BJJ, wrestling and Boxing which gives a real time and real itensity training.

You need to be able to execute under pressure and with really little time to think if you want to be able to protect yourself. Self defense strategies can work, but if you don't have to execute under pressure it's useless.

I prefer to have sports BJJ techniques that I do in live rolls all the time than a super self defense gameplan that I only drill.

Anyway, there's so many things that can go wrong in a street fight, thinking that we are invincible because of some training is your worst enemy

I agree. People think their training somehow morphs their biology. You're still human. People become overly comfortable, and complacent.

Complacency kills.

I wonder is this debate also going on in other fields such as swimming. Is there friction between "sports swimming" coaches and "self preservation" swimming coaches?

"Yeah that sport swimming stuff freestyle, butterfly etc that only works if your in your speedos in a warm brightly light swimming pool with your googles on. That stuff don't work in "The River". I'd like to see how one of those Olympic gold medal swimmers would fare if you pushed them off a bridge. I've watched the Olympics, they only know how to swim in straight lines in clearly marked lanes, how are they going to avoid all the dirty syringes floating around in the river?"

"Sure, in the Olympics they may be really swimming, and I wouldn't want to race them, but its not real swimming because it's under a ruleset."

"To learn self-preservation swimming, practicing in water is a waste of time and will build complacency. Instead you should lie belly down in a sports hall fully clothed while we throw ice water over you and switch the lights on and off to disorientate you while teaching you strokes such as the Bob-sau, Stroke-sau, and "The drowner."

"I swim by only rotating my feet, it's a much more logical way to swim. No I will not get in the water to do it, I don't have to prove anything to you."

The GOAT kung-fu guy is Freddy's Modern Kung-fu
Getting a blowjob from another man is not martial arts! ~Sifu Freddy Lee on the triangle choke.

I wonder is this debate also going on in other fields such as swimming. Is there friction between "sports swimming" coaches and "self preservation" swimming coaches?

"Yeah that sport swimming stuff freestyle, butterfly etc that only works if your in your speedos in a warm brightly light swimming pool with your googles on. That stuff don't work in "The River". I'd like to see how one of those Olympic gold medal swimmers would fare if you pushed them off a bridge. I've watched the Olympics, they only know how to swim in straight lines in clearly marked lanes, how are they going to avoid all the dirty syringes floating around in the river?"

"Sure, in the Olympics they may be really swimming, and I wouldn't want to race them, but its not real swimming because it's under a ruleset."

"To learn self-preservation swimming, practicing in water is a waste of time and will build complacency. Instead you should lie belly down in a sports hall fully clothed while we throw ice water over you and switch the lights on and off to disorientate you while teaching you strokes such as the Bob-sau, Stroke-sau, and "The drowner."

"I swim by only rotating my feet, it's a much more logical way to swim. No I will not get in the water to do it, I don't have to prove anything to you."

As I've posted before, the only MA training that can be called effective in SD is about the same when learning to shoot a gun: being able to hit the target and making sure the weapon damages the target. The overlapping criteria between street/ sport and unarmed/ armed makes fulfilling this criteria a measurable and credible training target. In swimming's case it's propelling oneself across the water effectively and efficiently while maintaining effective and adequate respiration. Everything else is add-ons pertaining to the specialization of the field.

Back