Movies MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE Movie Dead at Netflix After at Least $30 Million in Development (post #221)

I ain't mad at it... a bit skeptical... but it could work. The trickiest thing about it imo... is getting skeletor right. Obviously He-man.. but that's just a matter of choosing the right actor & making him look cool & believable. Same with skeletor, but bringing in that skull head has to be done right without seeming like over the top CGI.

I thought Mortal Kombat did a nice job of using the mask of Shao Kahn sparingly. Skeletor actually doesn't have a face though so that might be out unless he's sporting a prosthetic face or something. Might be cooler just to go full on skull head though.

iu

They could also tell the story of how his face got burned away by acid... & so half the story is the actor's face & the end is the skull face. Just throwing out thoughts.

this can be easily done

bytv0ahrbhni47kwq1de.jpg

Update: November 30, 2017

David S. Goyer to Direct MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE Reboot for Sony

O3LXxKs.jpg

He-Man has a new master. David S. Goyer is in talks to direct Sony's Masters of the Universe, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

The film will be based on the beloved Mattel toyline, which spawned a successful animated series (1983-85) as well as a 1987 film. The property centers on the warrior hero He-Man, the last hope of a magical land call Eternia. Dolph Lundgren starred in the original film, which was directed by Gary Goddard and also featured Frank Langella as the villainous Skelator.

Goyer is known for his screenwriting work on Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight trilogy, as well as Man of Steel. His previous directing credits include 2004's Blade: Trinity, the 2009 horror film The Unborn and episodes of Starz's Da Vinci's Demons, which he created.

The reboot has long been in development, with a number of filmmakers previously attached, including G.I. Joe: Retaliation director Jon M. Chu and McG. Goyer has written the most recent draft of the script.

Mattell is a partner in the movie, and Sony's Matthew Milam will oversee for the studio. Escape Artists' Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and Steve Tisch are producing Masters of the Universe, which is set for a Dec. 18, 2019 release date.

'Man of Steel' Writer David S. Goyer in Talks to Direct 'Masters of the Universe' Reboot for Sony Pictures
{<jordan}

this can be easily done

bytv0ahrbhni47kwq1de.jpg

A middle way between that and this

source.gif

I will like them to keep some kinda dark ConanTheBarbarian creepiness, instead go full clean round comics style like marvel does

Yes, glad you brought this back. I so wanted to undelete your thread.
I'm a terrible TS. I had nothing to add and forgot about this thread. It was destiny that you should have info to update. These clips are at home and my thread is at peace.

Huh, don't remember her wearing anything remotely like that in the cartoon...

Can't they just do space Conan instead of going crazy on the costume design?

@Dragonlordxxxxx
I met David Goyer years ago. I was at a comic book store and he was doing a signing. I think I got a signed Blade DVD. Batman Begins was announced (he wrote the screenplay) and they just announced the cast. I'm of Japanese decent and I told him that Ken Watanabe as Ra's al Ghul was a very interesting casting choice and I was excited to see how it would work out. He just kinda nodded and said "Yeah...okay".

I'm drawing a blank as to who they could cast as He-Man , probably Chris Hemsworth

Hemsworth is a good cast, I think that Dwayne Johnson although he's more olive colored and not blonde would be able to make it work too. He-man is a blonde dude though, I wonder if a guy like Alexander Skarsgard could pull it off after spending a year with Mark Walberg or Dwayne Johnsons diet. He'd need to bulk up, but he might be able to do it. I don't think he has enough charisma though.

@Dragonlordxxxxx
I met David Goyer years ago. I was at a comic book store and he was doing a signing. I think I got a signed Blade DVD. Batman Begins was announced (he wrote the screenplay) and they just announced the cast. I'm of Japanese decent and I told him that Ken Watanabe as Ra's al Ghul was a very interesting casting choice and I was excited to see how it would work out. He just kinda nodded and said "Yeah...okay".
Lol. What a douche. Thanks for sharing.

Are they are going to keep Skeletor in that dumpy ghetto castle of with his minions having to clean the place up once in a while like in the 80s cartoon show?

Update: February 8, 2018

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE Still Needs a Directo as David S. Goyer Passes

O3LXxKs.jpg

“Masters of the Universe” is still in the hunt for a director, Variety has learned. Sony Pictures, the studio behind the He-Man movie, had been in talks with David S. Goyer, but the filmmaker and screenwriter has had to drop out because of other commitments.

Goyer turned in a draft of “Masters of the Universe” last fall that excited the studio so much that they hoped to convince him to slide behind the camera. However, Goyer is enmeshed in work on “Foundation,” a mini-series adaptation of Irving Asimov’s science-fiction trilogy, and won’t be able to juggle both projects.

Complicating matters is “Masters of the Universe’s” Dec. 18, 2019, release date, which puts a clock on the production. Before Goyer fell out, Sony had been getting ready to talk to actors about joining the film.

Goyer will stay involved on “Masters of the Universe” as an executive producer and screenwriter. “Masters of the Universe” is based on a Mattel toyline and popular children’s cartoon. It centers on mythical fantasy world in which Prince Adam battles with the villainous Skeletor as his heroic alter-ego He-Man.

Goyer is best known as the co-writer of “Batman Begins,” “Dark City,” and “Man of Steel.” “Foundation” is being backed by Skydance Media and overseen by Josh Friedman.

Sony is currently meeting with other candidates to direct the film and still believes it will make its release date.

‘Masters of the Universe’ Still Needs Director as David S. Goyer Passes (Exclusive)

Update: April 19, 2018

The Nee Brothers to Direct Sony's He-Man Movie MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE

e3Ah4rI.jpg

He-Man has found new masters. Sony Pictures and Mattel have tapped the directing duo of Aaron and Adam Nee to helm the He-Man movie “Masters of the Universe,” sources tell Variety.

The movie will be based on the beloved Mattel toyline, which spawned a successful animated TV series (1983-85) as well as a 1987 film. The property centers on the warrior He-Man, the last hope of a magical land called Eternia. Dolph Lundgren starred in the original pic as the title character, while Frank Langella played the villainous Skeletor.

The pic is written by David Goyer, who is also an executive producer. Goyer had circled the director’s chair, but prior engagements forced him to pass on directing, though insiders say he is extremely involved in the development of the film.

Sony has already dated the movie for 18, 2019, with exec Matt Milam overseeing it for the studio. Escape Artists’ Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal, and Steve Tisch will produce with DeVon Franklin.

Sony is coming off one of its more successful years, following smash hits like “Spider-Man: Homecoming” and “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle,” both of which have future installments planned. Though “Masters of the Universe” has encountered hurdles over the years, Sony still views it as a valuable property and hopes to add it to its list of major franchises in the works.

As for the Nee brothers, the gig marks a major milestone for the rising stars whose 2015 indie thriller “Band of Robbers” earned critical acclaim and put the brothers on the map.

Aaron and Adam Nee to Direct Sony and Mattel's Live-Action 'Masters of the Universe' (Exclusive)

They better not make this some generic film

You want He-man movie to be some Conan like 80s badassery, then you see them

e3Ah4rI.jpg

Movie is doomed

Oh cool, I see the Nee brothers made one movie ever that no one saw and look like metrosexual hipster cowboys. This should make at least $5 billion in the opening weekend.

More like the Nay brothers, amirite?

Back