Matt Hughes: Too many events makes UFC not special...

I agree

But the casuals at wme need the $
And
They think the ufc isn't dying

There was a time when I could recall every fight that happened in a year.

Now I can’t even keep up with all the names.

It’s not a bad thing though.

Nah, double current amount of events.

Chael Sonnen and Karo Parisyan have expressed similar sentiment. Chael said that less UFC event means more anticipation which leads in to the water cooler talk and build up in interest. Karo has said that, too many UFC event makes UFC events too generic.

Now Matt Hughes is saying the same thing:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Ma...ra-with-Fights-on-Darn-Near-Every-Week-129371
Wait you mean 3 fight nights in one month is a bad thing? WME would love to do the WWE model with multiple events every week if they could. Bisping could the TV champ and Hughes could fight BJ Penn and Serra over and over.

I agree. it was nice to have a long build up and be able to invite friends over for big ppvs. not watered down shit

Matt Hughes needs to run it back with Royce.

All the additional fights would be a good thing if they used the ranking to create matchups, forced belts to be unified instead of reproducing themselves. There could be some positives if they used all these fights to clear the deck, and produce a champion in each division. Instead they're using them to muddy the waters, make a joke out of the rankings, and make champions out of half the roster.

Wait you mean 3 fight nights in one month is a bad thing? WME would love to do the WWE model with multiple events every week if they could. Bisping could the TV champ and Hughes could fight BJ Penn and Serra over and over.

The thing is, you don't get to build things up which creates a greater levels of anticipation. Its kind of like less is more. They say, the first slice of pizza is the tastiest slice because you have been deprived of it and all you think about is the food and so, there is an anticipation that tends to bubble up.

Eh. I mean obviously you need those special cards that fans can look forward to for weeks, but having a high volume of events, both PPV and cable, is necessary if you want the sport to continue to grow and become more mainstream. The increasing number of athletes leads to a bigger roster, which leads to more events. And as a fight fan, I'm not complaining. Do people complain that there are too many football games? Basketball games? There were a lot less fighters on the roster during Matt's day.

-Too many cards
-Forcing us to watch woman fight on every 1
-buncha 125 and 135 pounders
-reebok uniforms are boring
-usada testing (no one cared)
-hype machine fails
-ufc hall of fame is a joke

These amognst other things is why ufc now sucks and i watch like 4 cards a year just chasing the dragon, hoping to capture past excitement

This was filmed BEFORE the accident, right?

I won't be happy until there's 2 cards of watered down mma on tv per day.

Back