Mattis is out of the loop and Trump doesn't listen to him.

This is terrible news.

Gens. Mattis and Kelly made a pact that one or the other of them would always be near the President so that he wouldn't fly off the handle (militarily speaking). Now with the apparent ostracization of Gen. Mattis and the hiring of Bolton, those odds of safety are severely diminished.

Lincoln did not have a high level military background but had a very solid grasp of strategy, better than many of his West Point trained generals. Trump is no Lincoln; I'm simply pointing out the chance is not zero.
I'm no history buff so I'll accept this and revise my original post to say there is a 0.09% chance the president knows more than military strategy experts. The caveat being presidents that actually study the subject.

Man, that's some bad fucking news. I've said from the beginning of Trump's presidency we can survive bullshit tax cuts and repealing the ACA without a replacement is really bad, but the catastrophic potential is on foreign policy and military decisions. This is bad news on that front.

But it should not be shocking. We've also known from the beginning that Trump values loyalty (to him, anyway) and has near zero respect for expert opinion. That's the biggest fear with this stuff! Even if he has competent experts on his staff he won't listen to them!!!

All we have now is to hope for no major conflicts or events that can lead to major conflict and we get a real president in 2020.
lovejoy3.jpg

Mattis isn't out of the loop, they merely disagree on some of the foreign policy.

Back