MAYMAC Fight

Judoka1532

Judoka1532
@Brown
Reaction score
Guys I know it's been over 11months since the fight. But what are your thoughts on it? I re-watched it. There's clearly no debate over who won, and ultimately the scorecard doesn't matter...but how did you guys score the fight? I had mcgregor winning rounds 1-3 and barely winning 4. Call it what you want, but Mayweather was very inactive in 1-3 and started to pick up the pace in round 4 but I still think conor did more damage as mayweather mostly landed body shots. Round 5 I think Conor was winning until the last 40s.

I get that the first 3 rounds really was a result of a conscious effort for mayweather to lay back, but you have to score based off of what happened.

I was also very impressed with Conor's ability to land punches. He did look awkward out there but he landed some decent shots. Hell he landed more than manny pac did and had a higher percentage.

All this said, there's no denying that Mayweather is far superior boxer than mcgregor. But for conor to come out and last 10 rounds and win some is very impressive in my opinion.

Mayweather won every round by dictation.

Mayweather threw away the first few rounds making McGregor gas.

Floyd is older, smaller and has never been considered a big puncher so rushing out there and trying to take him out quick was never going to be his strategy. He basically had to wait and see what Conor had and then start countering it. Floyd is considered great for the people he has beat but he's not some beefy power puncher so I don't really think it's much of an accomplishment that Conor went 10 rounds with him.

MMA fans keep trying to give Conor credit for "wining rounds" because they are applying mma strategy and scoring logic to a boxing match. You have to understand that "throwing away" rounds "starting slow" "setting up the late KO" or whatever you want to call it is a thing in boxing. It's a thing in boxing because there are more rounds to work with than mma. Boxing is more of a marathon rather than a sprint.

Because of this, strategies in which a fighter takes it slow for three, four or even the entire first half of a fight exist in boxing. It doesn't in mma because to give up 2-3 rounds is to give away the entire fight since you are only fighting 3-5 rounds max. This is the fundamental thing that mma fans just don't get.

It's why they think Conor did well. He didn't. He was a bum that got set up, was toyed with and got executed as planned.

conu13.gif

Floyd never had a choice but to accept what was given to him the first three rounds. In what possible scenario does he come out guns blazing, with an opponenet of unknown quantity (in a boxing ring), that chucks a fastball lefthand hard enough for anyone in his weight class. McGregor had size, speed, and power on his side. Mayweather had no choice but to accept he couldn't match him for those early rounds. If he could have, he would have.

Mayweather threw away the first few rounds making McGregor gas.

I watched it again and would agree with this, at the time I was kind of shitting bricks I've got to admit. Towards the end Floyd was having party time, landing repeated lead rights etc. I get the feeling Floyd could have finished it a lot earlier but knew his chances would be 100% if he waited to attack when Conor gassed rather than something like 95%.

Were the rumours about Floyd having a big bet on himself to win by KO ever confirmed?

MMA fans keep trying to give Conor credit for "wining rounds" because they are applying mma strategy and scoring logic to a boxing match. You have to understand that "throwing away" rounds "starting slow" "setting up the late KO" or whatever you want to call it is a thing in boxing. It's a thing in boxing because there are more rounds to work with than mma. Boxing is more of a marathon rather than a sprint.

Because of this, strategies in which a fighter takes it slow for three, four or even the entire first half of a fight exist in boxing. It doesn't in mma because to give up 2-3 rounds is to give away the entire fight since you are only fighting 3-5 rounds max. This is the fundamental thing that mma fans just don't get.

It's why they think Conor did well. He didn't. He was a bum that got set up, was toyed with and got executed as planned.

View attachment 414907

Some people thought Conor would not land a punch, it was a ridiculous mismatch and I think Conor did better than expected.

Heard Irish Edmund tell Conor that it's 3-3 after 6th round. This is probably true. Mayweather punked him. Probably just trained cardio for this fight and didn't spar much. He knew what to expect. Had he stayed outside like he always does he would have won every round. He came forward and didn't respect Conor at all. Pure domination. Conor landed just one clean punch during 30 minutes.

Floyd never had a choice but to accept what was given to him the first three rounds. In what possible scenario does he come out guns blazing, with an opponenet of unknown quantity (in a boxing ring), that chucks a fastball lefthand hard enough for anyone in his weight class. McGregor had size, speed, and power on his side. Mayweather had no choice but to accept he couldn't match him for those early rounds. If he could have, he would have.

I think Floyd wanted to make Conor look better than he really was so that the fight would look less of a farce then it was. I have to rewatch but I remember that Floyd specifically stood right in front of Conor and let him throw. IMO Floyd could have nullified Conor by moving around more if he wanted to, but he wanted Conor to win those first three rounds. It worked in his favor anyway as Conor would gas from trying too hard and Floyd wouldn't burn up his legs early.

Last edited:
Mayweather was all over him like a cheap suit

Two different sports

Silliness

McGregor embarrassed himself after all his shit talk.
Let’s have it right, he was fighting a middle aged, retired fighter that was naturally about 3 weight classes smaller. Mcgregor has been boxing more than half his life. He deserves fck all credit. This fight was legalised robbery of his own stupid fans

One of your worst posts ever.

Fiddy is threatening him with violence now. I've wondered how this would go? A much bigger man who's know to scrap a bit vs a small elite boxer.

One of your worst posts ever.

Not really. I have had many that were much much worse. Floyd's great, sure, but why would he open himself up in the opening rounds when MacGregor, with the attributes outlined in my OP, would be at his most dangerous? Makes no sense.

So my post is just fine, thank you.

Everyone knows Conor would KO Floyd in a rematch - FACT.

McGOAT

Floyd was not even trying in the first 4 rounds.

It was a spectacle more than a fight.

Floyd dictated what happened in that fight from start to finish. Including giving away the first few rounds.

It was a shit show.

Back