MAYMAC Fight

Floyd never had a choice but to accept what was given to him the first three rounds. In what possible scenario does he come out guns blazing, with an opponenet of unknown quantity (in a boxing ring), that chucks a fastball lefthand hard enough for anyone in his weight class. McGregor had size, speed, and power on his side. Mayweather had no choice but to accept he couldn't match him for those early rounds. If he could have, he would have.

McGregor's chucks a left hand on par with anyone at JMW in boxing? Is this satire? Mayweather hasn't been a genuine puncher since SFW and he was clearly the better puncher in that ring.

Floyd never had a choice but to accept what was given to him the first three rounds. In what possible scenario does he come out guns blazing, with an opponenet of unknown quantity (in a boxing ring), that chucks a fastball lefthand hard enough for anyone in his weight class. McGregor had size, speed, and power on his side. Mayweather had no choice but to accept he couldn't match him for those early rounds. If he could have, he would have.

Lol. I can't find a single accurate sentence in this post.

Lol. I can't find a single accurate sentence in this post.

Ditto.

Edit: Your dismissive and woefully ignorant reply is not worth an involved post so just read below.

In the future, you can ask questions or be a neophyte, the choice is yours.

Last edited:
McGregor's chucks a left hand on par with anyone at JMW in boxing? Is this satire? Mayweather hasn't been a genuine puncher since SFW and he was clearly the better puncher in that ring.

You misunderstand. It's okay, friend. I wasn't saying that. You read it but I am saying he never fought a southpaw that is coming in with a - as far as boxing goes - atypical way of fighting. He is coming from another sport with a different striking background. We can accept that boxing is what happens between the punches, and, as such, McGregor is bringing a unique (not read as "better" form to the table in this bout). As such, he presents something outside the form of traditional boxing and therefore would make Mayweather fight patiently in order to size him up and get his distance and timing. He can have Malignaggi do all his spywork for him, but Mayweather is no fool and will want to size things up himself. In fact in the first round or two a left uppercut from McGregor landed quite flush, and probably let Floyd reiterate to himself that he ought to take his time.

Really, Floyd taking his time is something new here? Are you kidding me? Why are people all pissy about the truth of things. Is it because I typed "Floyd had no choice..." Ahhh if that's the case I see subjective eyes biting on a lead statement and refusing to let the brain read things objectively. I see fanboys getting pissy about semantics. Let's accept that Mayweather would never pull out all the stops in the first third of any fight. This is supported by his record. No need to try and refute that....

You're better than subjective assumptions JayE, and I know that a cooler head can prevail here. For one punch I would put money on "Money" Mayweather not hitting harder, but I do think he hits better all day long, which is another reason to explain why he took his time.

Golovkin vs Conor would be a right brawl!!!

Bit like Conor vs Nathan Diaz

You misunderstand. It's okay, friend. I wasn't saying that. You read it but I am saying he never fought a southpaw that is coming in with a - as far as boxing goes - atypical way of fighting. He is coming from another sport with a different striking background. We can accept that boxing is what happens between the punches, and, as such, McGregor is bringing a unique (not read as "better" form to the table in this bout). As such, he presents something outside the form of traditional boxing and therefore would make Mayweather fight patiently in order to size him up and get his distance and timing. He can have Malignaggi do all his spywork for him, but Mayweather is no fool and will want to size things up himself. In fact in the first round or two a left uppercut from McGregor landed quite flush, and probably let Floyd reiterate to himself that he ought to take his time.

Really, Floyd taking his time is something new here? Are you kidding me? Why are people all pissy about the truth of things. Is it because I typed "Floyd had no choice..." Ahhh if that's the case I see subjective eyes biting on a lead statement and refusing to let the brain read things objectively. I see fanboys getting pissy about semantics. Let's accept that Mayweather would never pull out all the stops in the first third of any fight. This is supported by his record. No need to try and refute that....

You're better than subjective assumptions JayE, and I know that a cooler head can prevail here. For one punch I would put money on "Money" Mayweather not hitting harder, but I do think he hits better all day long, which is another reason to explain why he took his time.

Man, I know you post worthwhile stuff on here for the most part, but really? What is this? You watch enough boxing and have seen enough sparring clips from the Mayweather Boxing Club to know that he literally chose to spar McGregor in the same way that he does amateurs or recently turned pros, right? Do you think Floyd Mayweather's gameplan against a southpaw who could actually punch and who is much bigger than himself would typically be to walk him down, or do you think that Mayweather thought this was something of a sparring session where he can earn money and get a stoppage where his heart rate doesn't really even go up? I'll let you decide.

Man, I know you post worthwhile stuff on here for the most part, but really? What is this? You watch enough boxing and have seen enough sparring clips from the Mayweather Boxing Club to know that he literally chose to spar McGregor in the same way that he does amateurs or recently turned pros, right? Do you think Floyd Mayweather's gameplan against a southpaw who could actually punch and who is much bigger than himself would typically be to walk him down, or do you think that Mayweather thought this was something of a sparring session where he can earn money and get a stoppage where his heart rate doesn't really even go up? I'll let you decide.

I think Mayweather took the guy seriously. If you are saying he could have walked him down whenever he wanted you would see that in the first couple rounds he ate a few clean lefts and I know McGregor is no boxer but a lot of people have the capacity to hit hard.

I know the skill difference was apparent.
I know that McGregor had less experience.
I know Mayweather sizes his opponents up well before he chooses to fight them.
I know McGregor has a good punch and that Floyd doesn't take a clean punch if he doesn't have to.
I don't think it was some daunting fight for Mayweather, but I do know he takes his craft seriously and in his own words "you don't overlook anybody."

Mayweather was careful. He recognized what he was dealing with (a raw fighter that has a good punch) and he dragged him into deep waters.

Even if you subscribe to the idea that it was a sparring session when you look at the ability difference (and I wouldn't be one to disagree), he took this sparring very seriously because Mayweather is very serious about winning in the ring. An newbie can catch a pro sparring. It doesn't happen, but it can. And if you are caught off guard, not expecting it, the punch will hurt more. I've been on both ends of that as some less experienced sparring better guys and vice versa (and I am not comparing myself to anyone in the world of boxing because that is just plain dumb).

I think Mayweather took the guy seriously. If you are saying he could have walked him down whenever he wanted you would see that in the first couple rounds he ate a few clean lefts and I know McGregor is no boxer but a lot of people have the capacity to hit hard.

I know McGregor has a good punch and that Floyd doesn't take a clean punch if he doesn't have to.
I don't think it was some daunting fight for Mayweather, but I do know he takes his craft seriously and in his own words "you don't overlook anybody."

Mayweather was careful. He recognized what he was dealing with (a raw fighter that has a good punch) and he dragged him into deep waters.

Even if you subscribe to the idea that it was a sparring session when you look at the ability difference (and I wouldn't be one to disagree), he took this sparring very seriously because Mayweather is very serious about winning in the ring. An newbie can catch a pro sparring. It doesn't happen, but it can. And if you are caught off guard, not expecting it, the punch will hurt more. I've been on both ends of that as some less experienced sparring better guys and vice versa (and I am not comparing myself to anyone in the world of boxing because that is just plain dumb).

Good post.

Mayweather could have walked Mcgregor down early, but he'd have gotten hit a lot more when Conor was still fresh and had a bit of pop in his shots.

He chose not to do that and fought more sensibly. That's not giving away rounds, it's fighting to a gameplan because of what you've got in front of you.

If Mayweather had went out there and tried to KO Mcgregor in the first round, he would have gotten hit a LOT more than he'd like to, and his punches weren't hurting Mcgregor, not when he was fresh.

Walking the guy down, to me, says he wasn't very worried about him at all.

What happen was him and Dana said, "We can make alot of money doing this" with the restriction that Floyd didn't completely go out and destroy him.
So what could Floyd do besides walk right into him and let him throw those garbage punches.
Shit was a work son.

If Mayweather only wanted to tire Connor out he would have fought his usual safety first back foot style and made Connor look foolish.

He entertained the fans by staying in front on Connor, something he never does. Then when he had entertained them enough he closed the show.

What happen was him and Dana said, "We can make alot of money doing this" with the restriction that Floyd didn't completely go out and destroy him.
So what could Floyd do besides walk right into him and let him throw those garbage punches.
Shit was a work son.

Why the restriction? People had already shelled out the money for the fight, it was too late for people to get refunds. It made absolutely no difference whether Floyd destroyed him or carried him for a couple of rounds at this point.

Why the restriction? People had already shelled out the money for the fight, it was too late for people to get refunds. It made absolutely no difference whether Floyd destroyed him or carried him for a couple of rounds at this point.
Just to be a man of his word.
U really think Dana would let his number 1 fighter gets his shit slaughtered in a ring?
This is the same guy that wouldn't let Anderson go fight Roy Jones jr.
It was a show and they did great at it.
I also predicted it would kill the UFC and it basically did.
They have been doing awful since then.

Floyd totally allowed himself to get punched.

Just to be a man of his word.
U really think Dana would let his number 1 fighter gets his shit slaughtered in a ring?
This is the same guy that wouldn't let Anderson go fight Roy Jones jr.
It was a show and they did great at it.
I also predicted it would kill the UFC and it basically did.
They have been doing awful since then.
That all goes to Floyd being a man of his word. Maybe he is but he didn't have to abide by any sort of 'agreement'. Make no mistake I think he went easy on Conor, definitely but I don't think he was committed to not destroying him.

Golovkin vs Conor would be a right brawl!!!

Bit like Conor vs Nathan Diaz

Every current champ between ww - mw knocks him out within 4 rounds. I’d lay good money on that. He called out Floyd firstly because of the money, but also because there is little risk to his health fighting a relatively small, middle aged, retired WW. Golovkin or canelo would take his soul

Shit was a work son.

We'll respectfully disagree on some of this. Obviously they saw the money. Obviously there is no comparison in skill, I just think he was careful and took McGregor into deep waters where the risk was minimal.

Every current champ between ww - mw knocks him out within 4 rounds. I’d lay good money on that. He called out Floyd firstly because of the money, but also because there is little risk to his health fighting a relatively small, middle aged, retired WW. Golovkin or canelo would take his soul

Yeah but what about that left hand though mate?

No one can withstand Conor’s power.

We'll respectfully disagree on some of this. Obviously they saw the money. Obviously there is no comparison in skill, I just think he was careful and took McGregor into deep waters where the risk was minimal.
Didn't you use to do big breakdowns of the major fights?

Back