Mayweather franchising name to 500 boxing gyms

That's a lot of gyms.

If Mayweather actually succeeds in planting 500 gyms -- which I doubt he can -- that's a nice shot in the arm for American boxing infrastructure.

Unless they're all boxaerobics with no contact or sparring. That'd be unfortunate.

Last edited:
If these are supposed to be boxing "fitness" gyms, then i see this not working at all. when i think of a boxing fitness gym, i think of women. at least that is who it seems like it would be marketed to. if that's the case, i just dont see it considering his popularity among the ladies is probably less than stellar. i guess it doesnt matter for floyd if he doesnt have money risked, but no way in hell would i open my own
they could market though, "this is how you'd try to fight Floyd, scratch that shoulder, come on, bite that shoulder when he attacks you".

Whilst on that waiting list you are expected to be an 'employee'. A condition of becoming a franchisee is minimum 1 yr experience. Makes sense, means you hit the ground running and have a understanding of their systems.
it's a good idea, it's hard work even though no one really respects those people, it's about as hard as customer service can get, i've seen people really just come in and act like they can talk to those people anyway. yesterday i was in one and i saw the manager called a bitch, to her credit she stayed as calm as could be and just told the lady to leave. Many other times to customers have come in looking to talk down to someone. I'd shove a cheesburger up there asses.

Can't talk too much about details of the inner workings right now but here's a video of the product our agency is working on for the company, mainly working on mobile app stuff now:

what happened to that post addressing the dangers of vr? I agree with them and can only say that the kids today are halfway there already, everywhere they go they are looking at their phones, driving, walking. I can only wonder what is so damned interesting on that thing that they can't wait. I never or rarely talked or texted on the phone while driving until i started working for uber eats, there is a reason that we have a law against it, the shit is distracting and dangerous.

If these are supposed to be boxing "fitness" gyms, then i see this not working at all. when i think of a boxing fitness gym, i think of women. at least that is who it seems like it would be marketed to. if that's the case, i just dont see it considering his popularity among the ladies is probably less than stellar. i guess it doesnt matter for floyd if he doesnt have money risked, but no way in hell would i open my own
DANAWHITE.jpg

Could be variety of different markets here in the Philippines because the popularity of boxing.
There is a recent opening of the UFC gym, but is always empty.

what happened to that post addressing the dangers of vr? I agree with them and can only say that the kids today are halfway there already, everywhere they go they are looking at their phones, driving, walking. I can only wonder what is so damned interesting on that thing that they can't wait. I never or rarely talked or texted on the phone while driving until i started working for uber eats, there is a reason that we have a law against it, the shit is distracting and dangerous.
you started out bitching about VR and got sidetracked onto a rant about phones? Cool story

you started out bitching about VR and got sidetracked onto a rant about phones? Cool story

No, he referenced a longer post I wrote about the dangers of VR and digital reality perception in general. I deleted it because I did not want to talk bad about the software designer who posted his project and expected only shallow comments like yours instead of a meaningful conversation about an important topic. After all this is sherdog and many logg in to vent.

well, if you can't see the correlation i'm sorry. I was telling my best friend about how some of the leading scientists actually think we very well may already live in a simulated reality. Me and my friend, being spiritual people, can't really believe it but it is interesting. What I told him about VR is that the kids today are literally halfway there, really they are, they are constantly on that cell and not thinking about the car coming at them at 30 mph or what have you. Also, i really hate how some of my customers and friends harass me when i don't answer right away, i can't get my work done if i let every jackass who wants my attention distract me. they get their feeling hurt but fuck them really.

If the atmosphere is like this, I'm totally getting in on this.

Virtual reality with Mayweather?

Like....you get to faux punch him in the face?

I've wondered about the potential of VR for boxing training for a while.

If you could make it accurate enough, it would be an improvement on shadow boxing.

Are there any boxing training programs that would be suitable for this kind of thing, or is Mayweather's team building them from scratch?

well, if you can't see the correlation i'm sorry. I was telling my best friend about how some of the leading scientists actually think we very well may already live in a simulated reality. Me and my friend, being spiritual people, can't really believe it but it is interesting. What I told him about VR is that the kids today are literally halfway there, really they are, they are constantly on that cell and not thinking about the car coming at them at 30 mph or what have you. Also, i really hate how some of my customers and friends harass me when i don't answer right away, i can't get my work done if i let every jackass who wants my attention distract me. they get their feeling hurt but fuck them really.
I feel that's a generalist statement. Also at no time in history has information been so readily available at the finger tips of a human. News literally travels fastest by facebook and twitter. Facebook invented by a 19 year old. There's a DIY braile printer invented by a 13 year old. A 15 year old invented a device that tells when someone with dementia wanders off away from their caregivers. Are kids addicted to technology? Maybe, but there's not a single group of people that are leading to new inventions right now than that age group. And there's also never been another generation that's had so many easily available tech devices made ready to them.

I also have first hand seen and developed(and continuing to develop) technology for treatment of anxiety in children cancer patients using VR. I'm they would much rather be distracted in a world of VR than freaking out waiting in a room for hours at a time just to be seen by their doctor for a painful treatment.

I feel that's a generalist statement. Also at no time in history has information been so readily available at the finger tips of a human. News literally travels fastest by facebook and twitter. Facebook invented by a 19 year old. There's a DIY braile printer invented by a 13 year old. A 15 year old invented a device that tells when someone with dementia wanders off away from their caregivers. Are kids addicted to technology? Maybe, but there's not a single group of people that are leading to new inventions right now than that age group. And there's also never been another generation that's had so many easily available tech devices made ready to them.

I also have first hand seen and developed(and continuing to develop) technology for treatment of anxiety in children cancer patients using VR. I'm they would much rather be distracted in a world of VR than freaking out waiting in a room for hours at a time just to be seen by their doctor for a painful treatment.
no doubt a lot of good things about it, a lot of dangers too. either way, i think the geni is out of the bottle now and unless we change the way we raise kids we're going to be headed more in that direction. I love my comp, i no doubt spend too much time on it too, it's like a drug. already society by nature is not good for human being because it's alienating and pits us against each other, now, it just another step further away. Are people any happier? no. Sebastian Junger has done studies on these things, he's found that the suicide and depression rates actually go up the more things people have, the more money and the more technological we are. I think he said there haven't been a lot of studies on gamers yet but they should probably be done.

I've wondered about the potential of VR for boxing training for a while.

If you could make it accurate enough, it would be an improvement on shadow boxing.

Are there any boxing training programs that would be suitable for this kind of thing, or is Mayweather's team building them from scratch?
actually, good fighters have been using their imaginations for years when they shadow box so it wouldn't be totally new. In fact most top athletes visualize in some form.

actually, good fighters have been using their imaginations for years when they shadow box so it wouldn't be totally new. In fact most top athletes visualize in some form.

Yeah, that's what made me think of its training potential.

I can't think of anything that shadowboxing does, which an app couldn't do *slightly* better.

Yeah, that's what made me think of its training potential.

I can't think of anything that shadowboxing does, which an app couldn't do *slightly* better.
if they could mimic contact, i want to see that, parrying a punch that actually has some force, that would be cool.

if they could mimic contact, i want to see that, parrying a punch that actually has some force, that would be cool.

I'd expect a point karate version to be even more useful for some drills, since they often barely make contact anyway.

I'd expect a point karate version to be even more useful for some drills, since they often barely make contact anyway.
it's really not possible to mimic the conditions of a fight without it being a fight, you can get close but not all the way there. and, internally, a shot that taps you isn't going to get the same reaction from you as the shot that stuns you, that's obvious. it was a huge problem with the mma'rs i was around, that they never took full punches, it's not a good time to realize you don't like a real punch in the middle of the fight, in front of hundreds of strangers. Unfortunately, at least some of the time, maybe 5% fighters should just put on all the protections, have a good third eye and just go all out. Getting hit takes getting used to, no other way around that one. I understand all the real concerns about injury/cte so maybe there needs to be more separation between the people that want to sacrifice and the people who don't. I've seen acouple guys from my old gym react pretty badly, i'm talking climbing out of a ring after a good shot in a fight. that's what happens.

Back