Mayweather says his uncle Roger has brain damage

DanMMAleague

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

I didn't see this part of it.

He says he keeps getting lost presumably because of dementia like symptoms.

Floyd may need to get checked out himself, if he just found out about it

I think Senior has it too. It's pretty obvious.

Everyone knows Roger has brain damage.
He has had obvious issues for years now. Floyd had said for years how his uncle's health has been declining and how Roger sometimes wanders around without knowing where he's going. His uncle seems like someone with advanced Alzheimers.

His father is punchy but he is mentally sharper. Allthough his dad is younger than Roger and has been getting a bit worse in recent years.

Floyd has always talked about how him seeing brain damage in people he knows made him fight the way he did and caclulate when and who he fights carefully.

Everyone knows Roger has brain damage.
He has had obvious issues for years now. Floyd had said for years how his uncle's health has been declining and how Roger sometimes wanders around without knowing where he's going. His uncle seems like someone with advanced Alzheimers.

His father is punchy but he is mentally sharper. Allthough his dad is younger than Roger and has been getting a bit worse in recent years.

Floyd has always talked about how him seeing brain damage in people he knows made him fight the way he did and caclulate when and who he fights carefully.

I wondered if CTE played a factor in Floyd jr being involved in domestic violence.

I wondered if CTE played a factor in Floyd jr being involved in domestic violence.

Possiblly but no one can tell. So far we can't diagnose it in living people even if they just did a study finding a way how it may be possible. But CTE alone is rarely the reason it may be in some cases but not in all. Some people who have CTE have no symptoms at least for a very long time and some people who have obvious brain damage are still not violent. Each case is different and often it's both the person + the illness.

It wouldn't be super shocking if Mike Tyson ahd CTE but he has also been beating people up since he was 10 or so long before he started boxing and he has had other mental issues as well since his early amateur days. It's easy to take CTe as the explanation for everything involving contact sports but it's probably wrong the media has been very sensationlistic and one sided on that matter and even experts have a hard time exactly explaining it.

Floyd lives a much cleaner live than his dad and his uncle and has better defence and skills but from his family Jeff seems to be the only one who seems to have no symptoms years after retiring. And hes the youngest of the bunch so who knows if he is completely fine in 10 years.

99% of sherdoggers do not even know who roger is... but will still comment.

You think so? All the Mayweathers (except Jeff) seem pretty well known with MMA fans

They've been finding Roger 10-20 miles from his home for years now. At least they know that if Roger is lost somewhere he can whoop on almost anyone who would mess with him. He's also in incredible shape.

Make no mistake about it respect wise; Roger is the man behind Floyd's success. He was there for him when Sr. was incarcerated and for years Floyd wanted nothing to do with Sr. And Roger acted as his father.

Wish the best for all of that family.

His dad is like 10 years older then Roger

My mistake I thought it was the other way around.

That's brutal Roger is only in his 50s but seems to have issues some 70 year olds with dementia have. And Roger was a better fighter than Sr he was a legit champion. Sr was talented as wlel but went downhill hard after the SRL fight.
Maybe being less succesful and having fewer fights and a shorter career saved Sr from ending up like Roger

He has diabetes and doesn’t take care of himself. Eats at Burger King all the time and drinks sugary soda.

Say what you will about these guys but this is the sad reality of getting punched in the face repeatedly for a living.

I'd say ego was the biggest factor but it's hard to say for sure. He has taken some of the least damage of the big names. Oscar has brain damage to allow people to take pics of him dressed in drag. I'm amazed bernard hopkins doesn't seem to have it.

I'd say ego was the biggest factor but it's hard to say for sure. He has taken some of the least damage of the big names. Oscar has brain damage to allow people to take pics of him dressed in drag. I'm amazed bernard hopkins doesn't seem to have it.

In fights he takes very little damage. But you have to wonder about the practice room; especially when he was a lot younger when it wasn't as obvious how bad it is to get hit in the head long term.

For as little damage as he takes in fights it would still be VERY surprising to hear he doesn't have CTE.

Last edited:
I'm sure the number is a lot higher who know Floyd Sr. and Roger.
I doubt brain damage had anything to do with the drag pictures. I recall reading cocaine was involved, though might be I'm misremembering. Might've just been a foolish mistake, perhaps when drunk.

People make poor choices all the time, that have nothing to do with brain damage.

Floyd is misunderstood. Real legend of the sport.

In fights he takes very little damage. But you have to wonder about the practice room; especially when he was a lot younger when it wasn't as obvious how bad it is to get hit in the head long term.

For as little damage as he takes in fights it would still be VERY surprising to hear he doesn't have CTE.

I heard he took more damage from Erik Morales in sparring than most non boxers take in a lifetime.

Back