Mayweather vs Guerrero fight discussion.

Mares might be too big for Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz strikes me as a guy that looks great now but may not move up in weight well.

Yeah, I thought Mares could have jumped straight to featherweight after the Agbeko rematch; I was originally miffed that the Moreno fight was at 122, considering they were the two of the three best bantamweights in the world along with Donaire just a few months previously, but when they did fight Mares looked the bigger guy.

Mares might be too big for Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz strikes me as a guy that looks great now but may not move up in weight well.

Mares is 5'5" with 68" reach
Santa Cruz is 5'8" with 71" reach

I think Santa Cruz won't have a problem moving up one or two more weight classes. Him and Mares is a fight I would love to see.

I think the difference now is Mares has grown into 126 whereas Santa Cruz has just moved up to 122. I think once he's had a few more fights at the weight we'll have a better idea whether he'll be as effective; I think he will.

Santa Cruz is still huge for the weight, the kid has a frame that will allow to move up in weight and gain strength, rather than lose it.

Santa Cruz is still huge for the weight, the kid has a frame that will allow to move up in weight and gain strength, rather than lose it.

Maybe so.IMO, his defense is too porous and he doesn't seem to be the biggest puncher. He throws volume but doesn't seem to be a real KO artist.

He was getting nailed a bit in his last one.

His defence wasn't at his best in his last fight but he usually pressures his opponent enough to make it awkward for them to find the rhythm to land too many clean shots on him.

Gah, now I really want a fight between him and Mares.

He's never going to be a big one punch guy imo. At the moment he is like a more aggressive Nathan Cleverly.

Mayweather/Guerrero replay coming on Showtime right now, just FYI.

http://www.boxingscene.com/robert-guerrero-firearm-charges-dismissed-nyc--65516

NEW YORK, NY - Early today, Six-Time and Four-Division World Champion Robert Guerrero appeared in New York State Supreme Court for Queens County where all firearm possession charges were dismissed in connection with his March 28 arrest at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City. Guerrero pled guilty to disorderly conduct, a violation and not a crime, was fined $250 and ordered to complete 50 hours of community service which he will be allowed to perform in his home state of California.

Guerrero was arrested on March 28 when checking in his luggage at JFK while returning to training camp in Las Vegas following a press tour in connection with his May 4 fight against Floyd Mayweather. As he was checking in, he made sure to advise authorities that they needed to be aware that he had a firearm, which was unloaded and in a locked safe box within his luggage which was to be checked. Guerrero was carrying no ammunition and was within his legal right to possess such firearm in the state in which he resides.

"I'm pleased that the District Attorney's Office considered my case carefully and resolved it fairly," said Guerrero. "I never intended to violate New York law, but I know that ignorance of the law is not an excuse. Lesson learned. I'm happy this incident is behind me and looking forward to returning to the ring as well as serving my community as ordered by the court."

Told ya he wasn't going away. Anybody else want to compare his and Floyd's problems with the law??

Celebrity has its advantages, like walking away from multiple felony charges.

Celebrity has its advantages, like walking away from multiple felony charges.

Didn't help Floyd. One of the biggest celebrities out there.

Analysis of Guererro's intent and plain old common sense seemed to be the most advantageous things here for him.

Didn't help Floyd. One of the biggest celebrities out there.

Analysis of Guererro's intent and plain old common sense seemed to be the most advantageous things here for him.

Floyd had a record though. Even so, I'm still surprised Floyd did any time at all.

Floyd was on the hook for 30 years for assault and grand theft larceny from what I read. Seemed to help.

Back