Mayweather vs Pacquiao Superthread (DO NOT POST OTHERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
September 29th, 2010 4:21 pm ET

Amidst all the Sturm und Drang of the on then off, on then off Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao super fight negotiations, the most contentious issue on the table, under the table and behind the table has been a consistent one.

The Mayweather side has always maintained that it thinks Pacman is a drug cheater and thus it's one persistent, nonflexible demand was always for totally random drug testing.

If you recall, Pacquiao would only OK a prefight drug test up to 14 days before the fight with the mandatory postbout blood being drawn in their respective lockerrooms immediately thereafter.

The negotiations crashed twice when the hopes of fight fans worldwide were running high and the two sides started spitting at each other again. Even a self-imposed gag order did not get them to the contract stage in the second go-round.

When Pacquiao was in New York a few weeks ago to hype his Nov. 13 bout against Antonio Margarito, he quietly but firmly told me he had aceded to the random testing demand. No ifs, buts and no candy or nuts if you know what I mean.

Pacman made the statement with agent Michael Koncz standing behind him. Koncz did not seek to correct or modify Congressmanny's plain assertion.

On Tuesday, as Oscar de la Hoya visited Gleason's Gym in Brooklyn to plug Golden Boy's new relationship with Barclays Center in that boxing conscious borough, I nearly had a cardiac event when I mentioned what Manny said to GBP CEO Richard Schaefer.

Two or three other scribes were within earshot. I don't know if they were as astounded as I was by Richie Rich's quick response.

I expected a "no comment" or other form of demurral.

I mean, it's not like we were in a deposition or RRS was under oath on cross examination.

But no such disclaimer or correction was forthcoming.

Instead, Schaefer co-signed Pacquiao's statement regarding accepting the at any given time blood testing for drug use.

"If Pacquiao said that, then I'm sure he wouldn't lie about it," Schaefer said without blinking.

It's not Schaefer was intoxicated with truth serum or anything.

But I did not have him across the table, under oath in a deposition or on the witness stand undergoing cross examination.

I inquired about Mayweather and Schaefer took a pass.

"I'm not talking about Mayweather right now," Schaefer snapped.

If boxing fans have any strand of hope for Floyd-Manny to happen in 2011, I say this is it.

Random drug testing is a non-issue now and both sides have said so.

If they can't reset and, Antonio Margarito permitting, then make Floyd-Manny for next May, then I'll be compelled to write a book about their idiocy.

I wonder if can borrow John Kennedy O'Toole's title for his great New Orleans novel.

That's right. "Confederacy of Dunces."

Drug testing no longer issue for Mayweather-Pacquiao super fight - National boxing | Examiner.com

September 29th, 2010 4:21 pm ET

Amidst all the Sturm und Drang of the on then off, on then off Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao super fight negotiations, the most contentious issue on the table, under the table and behind the table has been a consistent one.

The Mayweather side has always maintained that it thinks Pacman is a drug cheater and thus it's one persistent, nonflexible demand was always for totally random drug testing.

If you recall, Pacquiao would only OK a prefight drug test up to 14 days before the fight with the mandatory postbout blood being drawn in their respective lockerrooms immediately thereafter.

The negotiations crashed twice when the hopes of fight fans worldwide were running high and the two sides started spitting at each other again. Even a self-imposed gag order did not get them to the contract stage in the second go-round.

When Pacquiao was in New York a few weeks ago to hype his Nov. 13 bout against Antonio Margarito, he quietly but firmly told me he had aceded to the random testing demand. No ifs, buts and no candy or nuts if you know what I mean.

Pacman made the statement with agent Michael Koncz standing behind him. Koncz did not seek to correct or modify Congressmanny's plain assertion.

On Tuesday, as Oscar de la Hoya visited Gleason's Gym in Brooklyn to plug Golden Boy's new relationship with Barclays Center in that boxing conscious borough, I nearly had a cardiac event when I mentioned what Manny said to GBP CEO Richard Schaefer.

Two or three other scribes were within earshot. I don't know if they were as astounded as I was by Richie Rich's quick response.

I expected a "no comment" or other form of demurral.

I mean, it's not like we were in a deposition or RRS was under oath on cross examination.

But no such disclaimer or correction was forthcoming.

Instead, Schaefer co-signed Pacquiao's statement regarding accepting the at any given time blood testing for drug use.

"If Pacquiao said that, then I'm sure he wouldn't lie about it," Schaefer said without blinking.

It's not Schaefer was intoxicated with truth serum or anything.

But I did not have him across the table, under oath in a deposition or on the witness stand undergoing cross examination.

I inquired about Mayweather and Schaefer took a pass.

"I'm not talking about Mayweather right now," Schaefer snapped.

If boxing fans have any strand of hope for Floyd-Manny to happen in 2011, I say this is it.

Random drug testing is a non-issue now and both sides have said so.

If they can't reset and, Antonio Margarito permitting, then make Floyd-Manny for next May, then I'll be compelled to write a book about their idiocy.

I wonder if can borrow John Kennedy O'Toole's title for his great New Orleans novel.

That's right. "Confederacy of Dunces."

Drug testing no longer issue for Mayweather-Pacquiao super fight - National boxing | Examiner.com

I refuse to believe this. Now if this information came from Ted Atlas thru by a source that emailed him information then it would be true.

MAYWEATHER BROKE HIS SILENCE, BUT STILL HIDING BEHIND BLOOD TESTING ISSUE
October 9th, 2010 | by Felix Strunk

" A lot of people must realize this, a lot of people wanted to see me and Antonio Margarito fight at one particular time and they said I was duckin’ and dodgin’ Antonio Margarito. Now this is the same guy that was cheating and I told the world that there was something funny going on with Antonio Margarito. Come to find out that this guy was cheating and beating opponents with casts in his gloves. And then I told all the fans before that Shane Mosley was on enhancement drugs and on steroids and they said no that’s not true. Come to find out he was on steroids and enhancement drugs. Then and telling the people right now that Pacquiao is…I’m not saying Pacquiao is on nothing, I never said Pacquiao was on something. The only thing I’m saying is this, if I’m cheating or he’s cheating, then we’re cheating the fans, so let’s show the fans that the sport of boxing is clean. Let us both take the tests. I’m not duckin’ or dodgin’ nobody, but once again, every time I beat an opponent, they’re gonna either say he was too small, too slow or too old. Like I said before, Antonio Margarito was cheating, so him and Pacquiao…I can’t see how you even give a guy like Antonio Margarito a license. He was beating opponents with casts. One shot in this sport can end your whole career.

All I gotta say is this, you can’t stop God’s work. God makes everything happen for a reason. Floyd Mayweather is 41-0 and the king of the sport because that’s what God wants. Don’t be mad. God has blessed me with a talent. They trippin’ about the situation that went on in Vegas; all of this is about a iPhone. All of this is about a iPhone. Are you serious? All about a iPhone, are you serious?"

he better hope paq whoop's margarito, because if he loses, although i know many people would still buy the fight, i think the interest in it would drop a little and maybe not as much money as before

this should be called the beating a dead horse thread
this fight will never happen lets not kid ourselves

i think floyd needs to stop making excusses like he always has and fight the best to prove he is as good as he says he is

i still say floyd would counter him to death
it could ither be a close floyd win or total floyd domination .. floyd vs gatti type

I'd like to see some evidence of Mayweather claiming Margarito and Mosley cheated before they were CAUGHT or at least in Mosleys case information began to surface. I dont remember Mayweather ever claiming Margarito cheated before he got caught.

But I could be wrong. The bottom line its reasonable to assume that Mayweather AND Pacquiao are on something. Mayweather is just trying to play good guy here.

Mayweather is smart. He knows there is a chance he might lose. Mayweather is just gonna wait it out and then take in like 80-120 million. Win or Lose.....in the Pacquaio case...LOSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back