McCain Has Brain Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
latest

3684263mccai_20010702_04332.jpg

mccain.jpg
15pow.A1.pop.jpg

"
McCain's capture and subsequent imprisonment began on October 26, 1967. He was flying his 23rd bombing mission over North Vietnam when his A-4E Skyhawk was shot down by a missile over Hanoi.[34][35] McCain fractured both arms and a leg ejecting from the aircraft,[36] and nearly drowned when he parachuted into Trúc Bạch Lake.[34] Some North Vietnamese pulled him ashore, then others crushed his shoulder with a rifle butt and bayoneted him.[34] McCain was then transported to Hanoi's main Hỏa Lò Prison, nicknamed the "Hanoi Hilton".[35]

Although McCain was badly wounded, his captors refused to treat his injuries, beating and interrogating him to get information; he was given medical care only when the North Vietnamese discovered that his father was a high-ranking admiral.[37] His status as a prisoner of war (POW) made the front pages of major newspapers.[38][39]

McCain spent six weeks in the hospital while receiving marginal care.[34] By then having lost 50 pounds (23 kg), in a chest cast, and with his gray hair turned white as snow,[34] McCain was sent to a different camp on the outskirts of Hanoi[40] in December 1967, into a cell with two other Americans who did not expect him to live a week.[41] In March 1968, McCain was put into solitary confinement, where he would remain for two years.[42]

With his squadron (front right) and T-2 Buckeye trainer, 1965
In mid-1968, John S. McCain Jr. was named commander of all U.S. forces in the Vietnam theater, and the North Vietnamese offered McCain early release[43] because they wanted to appear merciful for propaganda purposes,[44] and also to show other POWs that elite prisoners were willing to be treated preferentially.[43] McCain turned down the offer; he would only accept repatriation if every man taken in before him was released as well. Such early release was prohibited by the POWs' interpretation of the military Code of Conduct: To prevent the enemy from using prisoners for propaganda, officers were to agree to be released in the order in which they were captured.[34]

In August 1968, a program of severe torture began on McCain.[45] He was subjected to rope bindings and repeated beatings every two hours, at the same time as he was suffering from dysentery.[34][45]Further injuries led to the beginning of a suicide attempt, stopped by guards.[34] Eventually, McCain made an anti-American propaganda "confession".[34] He has always felt that his statement was dishonorable, but as he later wrote, "I had learned what we all learned over there: Every man has his breaking point. I had reached mine."[46][47] Many American POWs were tortured and maltreated in order to extract "confessions" and propaganda statements;[48] virtually all of them eventually yielded something to their captors.[49] McCain subsequently received two to three beatings weekly because of his continued refusal to sign additional statements.[50]

McCain refused to meet with various anti-war groups seeking peace in Hanoi, wanting to give neither them nor the North Vietnamese a propaganda victory.[51] From late 1969 onward, treatment of McCain and many of the other POWs became more tolerable,[52] while McCain continued actively to resist the camp authorities.[53] McCain and other prisoners cheered the U.S. "Christmas Bombing" campaign of December 1972, viewing it as a forceful measure to push North Vietnam to terms.[47][54]

Altogether, McCain was a prisoner of war in North Vietnam for five and a half years. He was released on March 14, 1973.[55] His wartime injuries left him permanently incapable of raising his arms above his head.[56]

These are the "priviledges" in the Hanoi Hilton that millenial hipsters in this thread are jealous of.

He'll be 81 next month. He lived a full, privileged life. No reason to feel sorry for him any more than for all the nameless others that will die the same day he does.

Yeah, so privileged. Guy hasn't been able to lift his arms above shoulder height since returning from a POW camp where he was tortured so badly, his hair also turned prematurely white. So privileged.

*Sigh* Here we go..

Yesterday, John McCain was a two-face politician.

Today, John McCain is a two-face politician, diagnosed with brain cancer.

I can honestly say I don't give a shit.

I don't wish him ill, I'm completely indifferent about anything related to John McCain. If he miraculously recovers and lives another 90 years, great for him.

If an cartel member that snuck across the border brought a kilo of cocaine into Arizona, and the cocaine found its way into the posession of a brain surgeon that got high and botched John McCain's brain surgery and kills him.... well shit... maybe John would have wished he made good on his 2010 campaign promise to support the border wall being built, instead of impeding any efforts to do so.

(Don't read into that too much, it's just a joke... sorta.)

I'm not saying 'Fuck John McCain!' I'm saying I couldn't care less.

And I'm sure whoever the Republican establishment supports to take his Senate seat will be just as two-faced as John is. So what's the point of wishing him gone? None whatsoever.

You sure spent a lot of time typing that out for someone who claims he doesn't care.

Politicians like Senators should have an age limit if the government can force retire other employees old pee pee pants Senators should not be an exception.

Maybe limit it to 80

It is beyond weird that people older than my grandfather are making decisions of such import.

It is beyond weird that people older than my grandfather are making decisions of such import.

Yep specially now that we have more scientific studies about brain degenarative illness among old people.

I immagine a person that is old and have dementia will see the world as a one big confusing blur!

You sure spent a lot of time typing that out for someone who claims he doesn't care.

Yeah, it was more of a commentary of being told I should care about a piece of shit, when I don't.

It happens all the time in pop-culture. Announcement someone dies/is dying = You should feel sorry for them. Right? That's what decent human beings do, right?

How about they should earn that by being an admirable person, that their existance is a asset to the human race, that they had much to contribute or once contribited. Then, they'll earn my sympathy for hearing that they died, or will die soon.

That's a much more substantive meaning I can explain for caring about those who deserve to be cared about. Otherwise, fuck 'em.

Yeah, it was more of a commentary of being told I should care about a piece of shit, when I don't.

It happens all the time in pop-culture. Announcement someone dies/is dying = You should feel sorry for them. Right? That's what decent human beings do, right?

How about they should earn that by being an admirable person, that their existance is a asset to the human race, that they had much to contribute or once contribited. Then, they'll earn my sympathy for hearing that they died, or will die soon.

That's a much more substantive meaning I can explain for caring about those who deserve to be cared about. Otherwise, fuck 'em.
Yeah, you care way more than you think.

Yeah, so privileged. Guy hasn't been able to lift his arms above shoulder height since returning from a POW camp where he was tortured so badly, his hair also turned prematurely white. So privileged.
Yeah I had downed two delicious pints of Bell's Two Hearted Ale before posting that last night. It was callous and I retract it. My general, admittedly cynical sentiments are that politicians are so corrupt that we shouldn't esteem any of them, but now's not the time for insensitivity.

These are the "priviledges" in the Hanoi Hilton that millenial hipsters in this thread are jealous of.

Usually people come out of war hating it, and eager to never repeat the experience. He came out of war with blood lust on the brain.

It's just a shame that he's now going to be feted by everyone, when in reality he's a warmongering neocon who would surely have created more death and misery across the globe. The world will be a better place when he's gone.

McCain is a good dude. Last politician I ever voted for. Going to be a sad day when he passes. A true American.

This sucks. I hate his politics and thought his 2008 campaign was dreadful, but he's a good man and a patriot and regardless of political differences you hate to see it.

Just as all the other tyrants and murderers in the American government, I don't wish them anything but the best in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back