McG - Maliganiganananini sparring videos

The official that refereed this sparring session is a vet, Joe Cortez, and he ruled it not a knockdown. You can see in the footage that he had just started to wave it off before the clip conveniently ends. Therefore, it wasn't a 10-8 unless Conor really put a beating on him for that whole round (must be very dominant) to where it could be scored as a 10-8 with no knockdown. We don't have the rest of the footage to know. Per the ABC's uniform rules (the unified rules inherit them) you aren't legally allowed to control the head while punching your opponent. In fact, it's an explicit foul. That right uppercut also didn't connect. The same hand (left) Conor used to push down on Paulie's head he also used to push him to the ground with after he threw and missed the uppercut to make it appear as if the "knockdown" came from the uppercut. Conor actually missed both punches that he threw where the left missed its mark and wrapped around the back of his head in order to muscle him around. He was already off balance and his posture was further broken by the illegal head control. No competent ref would rule this a knockdown. Knockdowns need to be both clean & clear enough for a ref to make a proper ruling on at their discretion.

Here's a list of explicit fouls in pro boxing per the ABC. Number 3 could also potentially be applicable as you can "hold" the head (headlock, hold it down, etc), though, it would normally only apply to one of the opponent's arms (what's informally known as "holding & hitting"). Conor was clearly roughing & pushing which is why Cortez didn't rule it as a knockdown.

http://www.abcboxing.com/abc-regulatory-guidelines

To throw the Conor fans a bone- if that happens vs Mayweather, its possible the ref could call it as a KD. Its clearly not when you watch the slo mo, but I've seen worse calls. I'll also add that if he's able to take Floyd out of his game like a shot, out of shape Paulie, then that's a bit of a moral win too.

Minow trying to claim that unarmed one on one combat between McG n Floyd is unlikely therefore irrelevant is even dumber though.

Not just unlikely. It's never going to happen. So why should I care about that specific fantasy scenario between those individuals when it's never going to happen?

Although you haven't stated such, I'm guessing you basically view boxing or MMA as a simulation of an unarmed one on one fight that could occur outside of sport, so Conor McGregor being better in that contrived scenario gives some victory in itself. I don't care about that, because I don't see them as just an arena for testing who'd be better in that contrived unarmed scenario outside of sport (and most people don't as otherwise no one would opt to watch or train in any combat sport other than MMA), and I don't think it's important which of those two specific athletes is better at that either. It's a near certainty that, outside of combat sports, their actual unarmed fighting ability is not going to play any significance for them. So, barring some extremely unlikely events taking place in their lives where they have to defend themselves unarmed and on their own etc, their ability to fight unarmed only has significant use value within combat sports. That's what I said. "Their ability to fight only has significant use value in combat sports. " I never said what you think I said below, as you dun read good.

I called you out on making a very stupid point that unarmed combat has no value in the real world and now you're trying to save face.
Never said that.

Self defense without weapons or tools does matter and is the reason we come to this website in the first place. Just because a guy might have a gun doesn't make unarmed combat pointless.
Unarmed self defense can obviously be important in specific situations that many people encounter, and that many people never encounter. I never said otherwise. Saying that we all come here to talk about self defense is obviously wrong. This is the boxing section of an MMA forum. It's not a self defense forum. People in this section don't come here to talk about self defense primarily.

Your saying it means nothing because someone could pull out a weapon, which has nothing to do with how effective the art is in the streets in comparison to another.
This is only relevant if "how effective the art is in the streets in comparison to another" is what's being talked about. It wasn't what I was talking about. I didn't say what you think I said. Re-read what I actually said. For what I actually think, if you were training someone for unarmed self defense, personally I'd send them to a boxing gym for a year so they could get used to being hit and used to pressure under fire quickly, then I'd send them to an MMA gym. I think a professional MMA fighter has advantages over a professional boxer if you put them both into the same self defense scenario in more instances than the reverse, but there's plenty of instances where it won't particularly matter either way. There's diminishing returns on how skilled people get at a martial art as it relates to self defense such that reaching great heights of ability in MMA or any other combat sport doesn't have much functional use value outside of combat sports. Someone could train all their life and it not matter at all outside of their own personal growth. Equally someone can just be smart, have no training, and be safe. And with all of that I still don't personally care at all how either McGregor or Mayweather do in self defense or do in an unarmed fight against each other and I don't see why boxing fans should.

Not just unlikely. It's never going to happen. So why should I care about that specific fantasy scenario between those individuals when it's never going to happen?

Although you haven't stated such, I'm guessing you basically view boxing or MMA as a simulation of an unarmed one on one fight that could occur outside of sport, so Conor McGregor being better in that contrived scenario gives some victory in itself. I don't care about that, because I don't see them as just an arena for testing who'd be better in that contrived unarmed scenario outside of sport (and most people don't as otherwise no one would opt to watch or train in any combat sport other than MMA), and I don't think it's important which of those two specific athletes is better at that either. It's a near certainty that, outside of combat sports, their actual unarmed fighting ability is not going to play any significance for them. So, barring some extremely unlikely events taking place in their lives where they have to defend themselves unarmed and on their own etc, their ability to fight unarmed only has significant use value within combat sports. That's what I said. "Their ability to fight only has significant use value in combat sports. " I never said what you think I said below, as you dun read good.

Never said that.

Unarmed self defense can obviously be important in specific situations that many people encounter, and that many people never encounter. I never said otherwise. Saying that we all come here to talk about self defense is obviously wrong. This is the boxing section of an MMA forum. It's not a self defense forum. People in this section don't come here to talk about self defense primarily.

This is only relevant if "how effective the art is in the streets in comparison to another" is what's being talked about. It wasn't what I was talking about. I didn't say what you think I said. Re-read what I actually said. For what I actually think, if you were training someone for unarmed self defense, personally I'd send them to a boxing gym for a year so they could get used to being hit and used to pressure under fire quickly, then I'd send them to an MMA gym. I think a professional MMA fighter has advantages over a professional boxer if you put them both into the same self defense scenario in more instances than the reverse, but there's plenty of instances where it won't particularly matter either way. There's diminishing returns on how skilled people get at a martial art as it relates to self defense such that reaching great heights of ability in MMA or any other combat sport doesn't have much functional use value outside of combat sports. Someone could train all their life and it not matter at all outside of their own personal growth. Equally someone can just be smart, have no training, and be safe. And with all of that I still don't personally care at all how either McGregor or Mayweather do in self defense or do in an unarmed fight against each other and I don't see why boxing fans should.
ES5owO7.gif

statistically, thats probably true, hard as it is to believe. However, there is a different scenario to earlier deaths. some cops have said you see more senseless killing today, more psychopathic. we aren't training men to be men at all anymore, no rituals no rites of passages so who knows? maybe that's why we get some of the nuttier types of shootings we have today. they do say we are getting less violent as a species, that's kind of hard to believe, at least in some ways.
I don't think that's true.
I thought I read in the paper that there was more mass shootings back in the day they just didn't have a 24/7 news cycle about it.

NYC had around 400 murders last year I believe.

In 1991 they had around 2,500.

I'm pretty sure there was some senseless murders in that 2500 number.

The last time NYC had less murders than the last year or so was before 1928.

We live in the safest times ever.

And that's all cities for the most part.

Chicago had more murders in the 90s (800 or so) than they do now and people seem to not recognize that when they use that as a talking point for whatever argument.

To throw the Conor fans a bone- if that happens vs Mayweather, its possible the ref could call it as a KD. Its clearly not when you watch the slo mo, but I've seen worse calls. I'll also add that if he's able to take Floyd out of his game like a shot, out of shape Paulie, then that's a bit of a moral win too.

Yeah, at the end of the day it is whatever the ref says it is. We don't have to like it but it isn't our call it's theirs. I've seen much worse calls myself but would like to see the right calls being made in their fight. I expect Conor to try a lot of stuff so we'll see how that goes.

The last time NYC had less murders than the last year or so was before 1928.

We live in the safest times ever.

And that's all cities for the most part.

Chicago had more murders in the 90s (800 or so) than they do now and people seem to not recognize that when they use that as a talking point for whatever argument.
where are you getting your stats? I'd like to look. I do think we are not giving young men the proper man training anymore and it causes problems, you take this thing that's evolved to be a predator, with aggression and they are trying to turn him into a woman. There is going to be some backlash to that. And I'm not talking strictly about guns and violence, i'm talking about how there used to be some sort of idea that if two guys got into it, they could just fight it out in a clean fight, to tell you the truth, a gun is the easy way out of that. It's a way to win an ego fight without any real effort, knives are the same. In that way, I think that these generations are a bit more pussified. goddamn they talk shit and are mouthy as hell though, just observe how the young act today, how many stupid arguements they get into about stupid shit, they're like bitches.

I don't think that's true.
I thought I read in the paper that there was more mass shootings back in the day they just didn't have a 24/7 news cycle about it.

NYC had around 400 murders last year I believe.

In 1991 they had around 2,500.

I'm pretty sure there was some senseless murders in that 2500 number.
this is a pretty good lecture, he explains the new york decline in crime as a decrease in young males (the baby boomers created a huge increase in homicides across the board) and how they began to punish small crimes instead of waiting until they killed someone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1a2GpHedSM

where are you getting your stats? I'd like to look. I do think we are not giving young men the proper man training anymore and it causes problems, you take this thing that's evolved to be a predator, with aggression and they are trying to turn him into a woman. There is going to be some backlash to that. And I'm not talking strictly about guns and violence, i'm talking about how there used to be some sort of idea that if two guys got into it, they could just fight it out in a clean fight, to tell you the truth, a gun is the easy way out of that. It's a way to win an ego fight without any real effort, knives are the same. In that way, I think that these generations are a bit more pussified. goddamn they talk shit and are mouthy as hell though, just observe how the young act today, how many stupid arguements they get into about stupid shit, they're like bitches.
Ill find them for you in a little.

Yeah, at the end of the day it is whatever the ref says it is. We don't have to like it but it isn't our call it's theirs. I've seen much worse calls myself but would like to see the right calls being made in their fight. I expect Conor to try a lot of stuff so we'll see how that goes.
I am sort of leaning towards him getting himself DQ'd once the class difference become obvious.

He is a blackbelt in Judo and a world class boxer/athlete.. I am prettty sure he could beat a lot of people.

He talked about moving to mma a few years back. If he had crossed over at this point I think he could've done really well. He has the athleticism and would be difficult to get to the ground with his stance and the way he fights

Whats up guys....
How is it to have a "conversation" with Conrad's dick-shiners?

I am sort of leaning towards him getting himself DQ'd once the class difference become obvious.

I think that's a good possibility with Conor. He already said he wanted to learn the rules as to what's allowed and isn't so that he could "play to them".

So, McGregor & his team released some new cherry-picked Malignaggi sparring footage yesterday. It's about 5 seconds worth of new material at the beginning of the video with some shit talking after. It includes the infamous "knockdown" and everything else in slow motion to conclude the video clip with some cheesy sound effects thrown in. They're milking the hell out of this.

We'll never see the full 12 round unedited sparring footage. This was their second & final spar.

conor_mcgregor_paulie_malignaggi_new_sparring_footage.0.jpg

Lol more selective edits. Paulie actually seems totally unbothered there, ate a clean left and just kept talking shit. Seems it's true at least that he never stopped talking.

Late to this sausage party but here is Spadafora getting the better of Floy (iirc, didn't rewatch the whole vid). The point of the matter I guess, is a sparring match may or may not be a good indication of a fighter's upcoming performance due to numerous intangibles in that specific session.

In this vid, I think Floy just started training after a break and wrongly gauged his own conditioning otherwise he wouldn't have took on Spaddy in shape. I don't think any sparring session where you ended up having to lie down due to exhaustion can ever be considered a good session, lol.

Last edited:
Late to this sausage party but here is Spadafora getting the better of Floy (iirc, didn't rewatch the whole vid). The point of the matter I guess, is a sparring match may or may not be a good indication of a fighter's upcoming performance due to numerous intangibles in that specific session.

In this vid, I think Floy just started training after a break and wrongly gauged his own conditioning otherwise he wouldn't have took on Spaddy in shape. I don't think any sparring session where you ended up having to lie down due to exhaustion can ever be considered a good session, lol.

Floyd wasn't training at all during that sparring session - Paul and his trainer were talking smack when Mayweather came to visit the top rank gym after a long lay off, and the mayweathers love trash talk and never back down from a challenge, so they sparred. Paul was in full blown fight shape ready to go a few weeks away. What's crazy is, as good as spaddy was & Floyd not being in the gym at all, the first 2 rounds Floyd was landing right hands effortlessly and really making a fool out of Spadafora until he ran out of gas.

Back