Mcgregor apparel unavailable at UFC Moscow

Not related to Russia, but I went to a Reebok store the other day in Seoul, Korea..the only fighter shirt they had was a Conor one.

@KevinThaKilla @and 68 others like this
to further explain here is some quotes from reddit from russian folks regarding khabib/dagestan:

I don't watch MMA, so me having no clue who Khabib is is not an indicator, but my brother watches, I just asked him, and he was kind of evasive. "Yes, I know who he is, but I don't know if he is popular in Russia. A fighter, just a fighter".

Ethnics Russians cannot consider any Dagestani as "one of their own". The tensions are too high.

As for Fedor, he had to clarify, "Yemelyanenko?", but then was very positive about him. I knew who he was too once his last name was mentioned, but I would not guess by just "Fedor". He recently got into a spat with our head Chechen, that's why I recognize him, but I've heard his name before too.

Anyway, this is just a perspective from the field, that's what you asked about, right? MMA is a niche sport in Russia, you need to be into it to follow it. The MMA channel, "Fighter", is in most cable TV lineups though
There are ethnic gangs in Moscow and other big cities, it's Dagestanis, Chechens, etc. Naturally, it's just a small minority of these guys, but it's very visible (they look different and speak with accent). And outside of professional crime, there are just groups of young males that pick up fights with passerbys. Again, very visible.

The young ones clearly have a different mentality. In the military, for example, if you have more than a couple of Dagestanis in a unit, it will be constant problems. You have to either beat them up like daily (not possible these days), or send them to a military prison (not possible for many reasons, like you cannot draft them and then imprison all of them), or threaten to write to their parents, this they fear a lot (but you need a smart commander for that).

"Subway Saints" is a popular video and mem in Russia. It's two Russians, father and son, riding a subway, and there were three Dagestanis in the same car who did not like the fact that the father did not turn his eyes away. But things turned out not the way they expected.

Russian here. I don't consider someone from Dagistan Russian. My general opinion of Dagistan is very negative due to the high amount of terrorism out of that region. Not a Habib fan at all, I would say Arlovski is more of a Russian than Habib. Anyway, I hope McGregor smacks that stupid hat off him, which again isn't Russian (popular in Dagistan though)

It's not though, Khabib is an islamic extremist in terms of his religious views, his fans are limited to avars, chechens ,ingush and other minorities from caucasus. Many russians hate dagestanis, especially in moscow where dagestani mafia causes problems. Conor was invited to the World Cup by Putin, not Khabib, why? If he was Slavic like Fedor he would have been invited.

I don't know much about the inner struggles between the Caucasians and ethnic Russians, but I seriously doubt Conor being more popular than Khabib in Russia. I also don't believe Putin invited Conor to the world cup. Its more likely that Artem Lobov or Conor's management asked to meet Putin. And of course, Putin or his team will accept the offer if a worldwide known fighter like Conor wants to meet you. Its not only good PR for Putin, but also a way to troll the EU.

Who the fuck are they gonna get to pay for his shit?
4B91DE25-2DE9-471E-A77F-7653CDF6ADC9.jpeg

Over the last year Khabib edges out Conor in google trend in Russia. But in the last 90 days Conor edges out Khabib.

conor v khabib.jpg

It's not a myth, lol. Only muslims here root for Khabib, and they're like 10% of our population. Dags got pretty bad rep among Russians.

Surely there are Russians who hate Dagestani's. But I have a hard time believing Conor being more popular than Khabib in Russia.

Probably from Conor actually being invited to meet Vladamir Putin at the World Cup final and Khabib being a randomer no one knows?

Isn't it more sensible to believe that Conor's management or Artem Lobov asked to meet up with Putin at the World Cup? You know, to clown Khabib?

Putin will fix this.
i7MVdDD.jpg

The merch at the last card in Vancouver was terrible

I would have picked up a pride shirt or the old school UFC logos like that blue one in the OP.

It's not though, Khabib is an islamic extremist in terms of his religious views, his fans are limited to avars, chechens ,ingush and other minorities from caucasus. Many russians hate dagestanis, especially in moscow where dagestani mafia causes problems. Conor was invited to the World Cup by Putin, not Khabib, why? If he was Slavic like Fedor he would have been invited.
Fuckin idiot, as ever

Back