McGregor Striking Style

JABMALASSIE

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Many who give Connor a change say that his style is unpredictable and unique. What is his training style for striking? Does he have a karate/martial arts training or is he mainly boxing? Is his style truly unique?

There are many more ways to do something badly than there are to do something well.

I thought he had a TKD background as well as some boxing. I believe he gets away with his unorthodox striking in MMA because the level of striking is lower. I don't think it will be an advantage in a boxing match against one of the P4P best ever, old as he is. Floyd will figure him out pretty fast and that lack of defence will become a real issue for Conor very quickly.

His striking style is neither unique nor complicated.
He has the same bladed stance with a very big gap between his feet like many guys in MMA who come from
semi-contact styles like Karate or TKD have.
The Machida brothers and Stephen Thompson are some obvious examples.

This stance allows all these guys, Conor included, to move very quickly in and out with small jumps/ hop steps.
They base their whole game around this simple move, but we are essentially talking about the simplest movement.
Linear movement!

What Conor does a little different is that having a small background in boxing allows him to be sharper at the punching range and
being able to stay there a bit longer than the others.
He has better timing and feeling of distance than the majority of MMA athletes but that's it.
Compare to the rest of them the little boxing he knows is enough to make him look godlike.

Because of his stance and foot positioning he can't move laterally, he doesn't engage his hips and his upper body properly,
so he actually uses really few angles compare to a boxer, especially defensively speaking.

Now that he is about to face Floyd he constantly practices switching stances as if this will
make his game deeper. Unfortunately for him things don't work that way.
He's years behind on proper boxing training and if he really thinks otherwise he is a moron.

How do you follow that?

His deeper range will cause Floyd some issues and his straight left and lead uppercut are pretty diesel. But.... Landing flush on Floyd is the holy grail of boxing. Good luck.

Yeah Conor has a level of danger in him. It just isn't at the level of the last 30 guys Floyd has fought and dominated. Conor is an OK puncher at the boxing ranks regardless of his awkwardness. He smacked two great left hand leads right in the middle of a gassed, out of shape, Paulie's face and Magic Man ate em like cupcakes.

I mean seriously, how would this go down against Cotto, Canelo, Thurman, Garcia, and the rest. They all roll Conor up in a body bag. It's more intriguing with Floyd because he doesn't seem like a killer like that. A KO is a guarantee against those guys, but with Floyd we just don't know how he goes into this, getting some work and a payday, or does he go to destroy Conor.
I'd prefer him to come out on the attack like he did against Gatti or Corrales.

i don't know but if he does that karate kid shit he's getting knocked the fuck out.

If the stuff he showed on open workouts looks anything like the gameplan for Floyd, he leaves on a stretcher.

Old ass morales took maidana all the way because he threw crisp straight punches. Apart from his straight left he isn't going to be touching Floyd before his head is being bounced around.

a big part of me thinks that his legitimate only hope is to come out full retard. You know when you play your girlfriend at tekken or something, and they mash the buttons on the controller and beat you with some retarded bullshit.... that but in real life. Going by his open workouts, perhaps i'm on to his game plan.

at least he'll be doing something different while he gets beat up i guess.

Best case scenario is Connor kicking Floyd in the face and getting the DQ/KO so half the world can start a class action lawsuit to get their ppv money back like we did when Tyson bite Holyfield's fucking ear off.

Back