McGregor V Khabib = Modern Day Liddell V Couture

Based on a sample size of 1. Everyone was was before the fight saying it could go either way but whatever way he went it would be a dominant win. A dominant win doesn't prove how often it would go out of a sample size of 10. All we can reasonably conclude is Khabib wins at least 1 out of 10 but he quite possibly lose 9/10 and this was that 1.
I dont know why that was forgotten.. Connor would sleep Kabib easy or Conor would suffer..

I normally don't point out join dates or locations but I find it funny that someone with a 2018 join date from Europe is trying to tell people about wrestling.

He's not even right, Conor's TDD is not even close to Liddell TDD.
In regards Europe your right usually they don't know nothing about wrestling. The French and Germans know Judo pretty well but that's it.

It was more like Couture vs Tito. A complete spanking.

Khabib doesn't get hit after the takedown and he mauls people for a few minutes, makes them terrified of the takedown and the ramifications of going to the ground with someone that has his level of ground control.

Conor's gameplan was as silly as Tony's is going to be: surrender the takedown, play defense on the ground, wait for Khabib to diminish after two rounds of mauling you and then hope you have the pop to beat him on the feet. If you are going to beat Khabib, it has to be early. No one gets mauled by a guy like Cain for a few rounds and comes back: your arms are dead, you are exhausted, lactic acid galore and your body has been punished.

I still maintain Conor can win, and tho the odds are against him, a fresh Conor could put him on Queer Street and finish him. If Khabib threw that shot that knocked Conor down earlier, no way it lands, and he leaves himself vulnerable for countering. The odds are in Khabib's court, but everyone is beatable, and people consistently forget this is MMA.

Khabib doesn't get hit much standing either, he's really good at judging range. I agree with your breakdown though but I disagree with Khabib not being able to land that shot earlier, the reason he landed it is cause he did a level change and then an over hand right just like Randleman on Cro Cop. Level changing is a great way to delay someone's reaction time or cause them to react the wrong way.

I agree Conor would have to win it early based on the match up.

He's not even right, Conor's TDD is not even close to Liddell TDD.
In regards Europe your right usually they don't know nothing about wrestling. The French and Germans know Judo pretty well but that's it.

Oh I know I just thought it was funny cause Europe tends to have terrible wrestlers outside of a couple of countries on the boarder of Asia or Africa, like the Middle east and western Russia.

Fighting doesn't work like that, unfortunately, otherwise Id be rich AF, especially a fighter coming off a two year lay off and having boxed the majority of that time. Conor has the skills to beat him, he just needs to be on point. People said the same exact thing after the Nate fight, but boy were we wrong. The fight was actually much closer than Silva Sonnen for when it lasted, but a brilliant fighter like Andy made adjustments and finished Chael in short order - there are blue prints for the striker to adapt to the wrestler.

Conor can make massive adaptations and has a great fighting brain that can make adaptations. He is also in uncharted territory having made 100 million boxing and in to all sorts of businesses like cutting fashion deals, running his media company and his new whiskey endeavor, so refocusing could do wonders.

I take Kav on his word and believe that Conor was not 100% and defied his advice to take a tune up fight before Khabib. There have been plenty of fights were lopsided and then the rematch went totally different, and lets not pretend like fight was like Barboza, or even RDA, where they mounted no successful offense and did not win a round. For sure tho, Khabib is an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, and it still has o be cracked. If Conor would get it done, I would say avoid TD at all cost and use the exact opposite game plan as before, which was to pressure Khabib like he did Mendes and be fine with giving up the TD; use the jab for distance, use better angles, look to counter and go back to a bare bone boxing game like he did vs Eddie. Khabib makes mistakes, but most people are too petrified of being taken down that their offense goes to crap..
Didnt read but Conor cant beat Khabib in an MMA fight

Chuck had 1 punch KO power Conor not so much. Plus Chuck was still hungry at that point.

Highly doubt we'll see Conor Khabib 2 for the simple fact that I dont think either wants it. Khabib cant do any better than he did so why risk it? And Conor knows another beatdown is waiting....better to take a fight you can win.

But man...do I miss those days. I remember that Chuck beatdown in their first fight. Brutal gnp and gassed hard. That entrance was fn ridiculous. Vanilla Ice...

<LikeReally5>

Based on a sample size of 1. Everyone was was before the fight saying it could go either way but whatever way he went it would be a dominant win. A dominant win doesn't prove how often it would go out of a sample size of 10. All we can reasonably conclude is Khabib wins at least 1 out of 10 but he quite possibly lose 9/10 and this was that 1.
Interesting how you take your on biased opinion and project it to EVERYONE SAID IT COULD GO EITHER WAY.
That's definitely not true alot of people said we'd see the beatdown we got and we're saying conor has/had so ltitle of a chance. Inversely conor fans said he'd destroy khabib easily as well. You'd have to look very hard to fight this minority of "could go either way" you're saying was everyone.

Oh I know I just thought it was funny cause Europe tends to have terrible wrestlers outside of a couple of countries on the boarder of Asia or Africa, like the Middle east and western Russia.
I liken the difference to the culture between Connecticut and Pennsylvania. The two states are essentially right next to each other but one produces some of the best wrestlers and one does not even have wrestling programs in a lot of schools. It seems in more secular, progressive places, that wrestling is considered barbaric, but in conservative more religious places, whether it be the Caucus Region or Bible Belt (Iowa, Oklahoma, etc), wrestling is considered macho and essential for a man's rearing.

I liken the difference to the culture between Connecticut and Pennsylvania. The two states are essentially right next to each other but one produces some of the best wrestlers and one does not even have wrestling programs in a lot of schools. It seems in more secular, progressive places, that wrestling is considered barbaric, but in conservative more religious places, whether it be the Caucus Region or Bible Belt (Iowa, Oklahoma, etc), wrestling is considered macho and essential for a man's rearing.

That might be true to an extent, though I would still pick the best wrestler in say California over the best wrestler in the UK. America has wrestling in most high schools, it's way more ingrained into the system than it is in the vast majority of Europe.

After Liddell the brash superstar lost his first match with Couture he built himself back up over 4 fights, including a two fight stint in Pride. In the rematch Liddell knocked out the wrestler Couture in the first round. The two later had a rubber match where Liddell again knocked out Couture, this time in the second round. With both Khabib and McGregor at 30 years of age, there is easily enough time for two more matches between the two rivals.

if conor wants a chance at khabib he needs to evolve his mental and that doesnt work out with that whiskey lifestyle imo.
conor needs to work on his spiritual.

Nah...everyone was not saying that. Of course Conor had a chance to land the flash KO, but everyone who had any sense knew that that chance was very low.

Personally, I calculated his chances at about 6 percent. Now that the fight is over, I realize that I gave him too much credit...

Last edited:
That might be true to an extent, though I would still pick the best wrestler in say California over the best wrestler in the UK. America has wrestling in most high schools, it's way more ingrained into the system than it is in the vast majority of Europe.
Indeed it does have wrestling, but it depends where you live. I came from the north east and only a few schools offered it. In Iowa, everyone offers it. You are right about much of Euro not having it tho, specifically places like the UK.

You do know Chuck Liddell was probably the best sprawl and brawler of all time? Garbage thread. Khabib beats Conor ten times out of ten.

Interesting how you take your on biased opinion and project it to EVERYONE SAID IT COULD GO EITHER WAY.
That's definitely not true alot of people said we'd see the beatdown we got and we're saying conor has/had so ltitle of a chance. Inversely conor fans said he'd destroy khabib easily as well. You'd have to look very hard to fight this minority of "could go either way" you're saying was everyone.
Biased? The majority of reasonable people thought it could go either way. Only fools thought the outcome was 100% guaranteed.

Biased? The majority of reasonable people thought it could go either way. Only fools thought the outcome was 100% guaranteed.
Your "Reasonable People" are the tiniest minority and it's even smaller on sherdog.
This comment shows the bias, you and like minded individuals who said 50/50 are REASONABLE PERSONS everyone else has to be FOOLS.

After Liddell the brash superstar lost his first match with Couture he built himself back up over 4 fights, including a two fight stint in Pride. In the rematch Liddell knocked out the wrestler Couture in the first round. The two later had a rubber match where Liddell again knocked out Couture, this time in the second round. With both Khabib and McGregor at 30 years of age, there is easily enough time for two more matches between the two rivals.

Not even close. Liddell was not an asshole (Conor was) and was not a pure striker either. Liddell had stand up and really good wrestling especially take down defence.

Last edited by a moderator:

I said this before the fight. I said Conor will have a better chance in the rematch after feeling Khabibs wrestling and knowing exactly how far he has to go and what he has to do to stop it.

It’s not likely Khabibs wrestling is going to get much better. But Conor can improve a lot on the exact techniques he needs to simply keep it standing. Same way Chuck adjusted. Even though Khabib could still win, I would expect a rematch to remain on the feet for much longer periods, and give Conor more chances to catch him.

Did you know that Liddell has a background in wrestling?

Did u know that meant fuck all in the first Randy fight and he got dominated more than Conor did on the ground, and closed a larger gap than Conor would have to? Or have u not even seen any of the fights?

I said this before the fight. I said Conor will have a better chance in the rematch after feeling Khabibs wrestling and knowing exactly how far he has to go and what he has to do to stop it.

It’s not likely Khabibs wrestling is going to get much better. But Conor can improve a lot on the exact techniques he needs to simply keep it standing. Same way Chuck adjusted. Even though Khabib could still win, I would expect a rematch to remain on the feet for much longer periods, and give Conor more chances to catch him.

Did u know that meant fuck all in the first Randy fight and he got dominated more than Conor did on the ground, and closed a larger gap than Conor would have to? Or have u not even seen any of the fights?
Lol chill the fuck out. Having a background in wrestling definitely helps a lot more than not having one.

He most certainly did not close a larger gap than Conor has too. There is a huge difference in someone with a D1 wrestling background and someone with no wrestling background. I don’t see how you are failing to grasp that.

What screwed Conor was not his lack of takedown defense, I was actually shocked at how good his takedown defense was. It was his lack of cardio. That has always be n his problem and he still hasn’t fixed it.

You know why Chuck has better cardio than Conor despite being much larger?

It’s the wrestling background.

Back