McGregor vs Nurmagomedov: A Conor McGregor Primer

The MM Analyst

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
October 6th marks perhaps the most important date in the past few years of Mixed Martial Arts. Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov, the two kings of the UFC‘s most talent-rich division, will finally meet inside the Octagon.

Once every so often, a fight comes along that seems to define a generation. McGregor and Nurmagomedov have been on opposite ends of the build-up for several years, and the result seems destined to be a performance that transcends the sport itself. The undefeated whirling-dervish of takedowns and ground and pound meets perhaps the slickest boxer the sport has ever seen. Their meeting will crown the king of MMA’s strongest division. In light of the position both fighters inhabit, the title on the line is almost of secondary interest, taking a back seat to the question of legacy.

For McGregor, this fight represents his first opportunity to solidify his claim to lightweight dominance by mounting a title defense (even if it is only the lineal title) after being quickly foisted into a title shot against Eddie Alvarez two years ago.

Nurmagomedov, on the other hand, had been unduly kept out of the title picture for years due to poor timing and injury woes, before having the title thrust upon him in a win over the somehow-top-15-ranked Al Iaquinta, once again unduly. For Khabib, the fight represents his first shot at a truly legitimate title.

McGregor versus Nurmagomedov may well be that generation-defining fight. The winner may well be that generation-defining athlete.

In this series, I will examine the respective skill sets of McGregor and Nurmagomedov, and finally, the match-up itself.

Conor McGregor has quickly become the hottest commodity in combat sports. After winning the lightweight title over Alvarez in 2016, McGregor held the belt hostage while campaigning for a Floyd Mayweather payday. The question of whether or not he would compete again in MMA was left up in the air.

Now, two years after he first captured the lightweight title, McGregor makes his long-awaited return to the Octagon.

In it’s simplest form, McGregor’s game is that of an aggressive counter-puncher. While fighters who primarily deliver their offense through counters often struggle to encourage their opponents to take the kind of actions they need to react to, McGregor’s pressure serves to draw the reactions he wants.

McGregor tends to come right out of the gate aggressive, eating up space and pushing his opponent toward the cage. If they concede enough ground, McGregor is happy to step in and blast them with their back to the cage, but most opponents will lash out to regain ground before running themselves onto the cage. It is precisely this reaction that McGregor wants, and his best work is done on the counter as his opponent lashes out.

His pressure also serves to tilt engagements in his favor. With his opponent nearing the fence and McGregor’s back to the Octagon, he has all the space available. McGregor can freely give ground and make his opponent miss, while his opponent remains trapped along the cage. The knowledge of this inequality is constantly bearing on the mind of a fighter experiencing pressure, and many strike out in desperation without thoughtful setup in order to hurriedly regain the ground they are losing. This too works in McGregor’s favor, as desperate reactions make opponents all the more vulnerable to his counters.

The Left Hand
McGregor is famous for a left hand as versatile as it is accurate and powerful. His ancillary skills serve to funnel opponents into the left straight, while the punch itself acts as a delivery system through which McGregor leverages positional advantages. McGregor possesses one of the more versatile rear hands in the sport, effective as both a lead and a counter. While he typically favors long-range straight punches, McGregor will close distance and land the rear hand as a short hook behind the ear when facing fellow southpaws.

The inside-angle straight has been covered extensively: McGregor will often concede outside foot position, allowing his opponent to gain what is somewhat dogmatically considered an advantageous position.

Once his opponent has stepped outside and thrown their rear hand, McGregor will take a short hop-step back or slip outside the punch and pivot to face their center-line. This gives McGregor a truly dominant angle, allowing him to face his opponent while they face away from him. The ensuing counter straight splits the opponent’s stance, distributing its force across the plain of his body. Because the stance is set up to deal with an opponent you are directly facing, a punch coming from the side will deal more damage, as it leaves you without a firmly planted rear leg with which to cushion the impact.

Another application of the inside-angle straight is as a lead while the opponent circles outside the lead foot. McGregor’s opponents will often seek to avoid the left hand by circling away from it. When they are well outside the lead foot and moving away from the power hand, they will often let their guard down, believing their positioning keeps them safe.

McGregor needs only track their movement with his lead foot in order to adjust the targeting on his straight. A slightly exaggerated pivot on the ball of his rear foot with the punch adjusts his hips, lining them up with his target.

Although the inside angle allows one to square opponents up and catch them unaware, outside foot position shortens the distance on the rear hand, making it quicker and easier to land. McGregor mixes up his footwork, stepping inside and outside the lead foot as necessary.

McGregor will often use a leaping lead uppercut to close distance and plant his foot outside his opponent’s stance, setting up the straight left. There’s an added element of concealment to his uppercut, as it uses the same preliminary motion as his straight. To set the uppercut up, he’ll fold over his lead hip as if he’s throwing the left. Here Holloway reacts to the threat of the left and widens his guard, opening up the uppercut down the middle.

When McGregor sets his straight up with the lead hand or takes a dominant angle, he’ll commit to it fully, pivoting on the ball of the rear foot and sinking his hips down into the punch. When he leads directly with the straight on an opponent standing in front of him, however, McGregor adjusts his punching form to afford him additional speed and concealment.

McGregor shortens up his straight, sacrificing power for blistering speed. Part of the delivery is completed before the straight is thrown – McGregor’s weight is on the lead leg, the ball of his foot is planted into the ground with his heel up, and his hips are already slightly turned. All that’s left is to push off the ball of the rear foot and rotate the trunk through.

Because the front foot bears weight before the punch, there is very little weight transfer involved. The punch is delivered with a spring off the rear foot rather than a sinking of the hips, which again increases speed while reducing power.

This tactic of shortening up the straight by completing part of its delivery in advance is favored by many boxing greats, such as Roy Jones Jr. and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Landing the Straight
Everyone knows that McGregor’s typical game revolves around landing his straight left. While such a tightly focused A-game may seem to impose a constraint on McGregor’s ability, he possesses an incredibly deep arsenal of tactics to create engagements which make the straight left viable.

McGregor’s jab has traditionally been somewhat of an afterthought in his game, but it serves its primary purpose of setting up his rear hand well.

https://gfycat.com/tepidsharpamericanrobin

McGregor uses a quick, back-handed jab to draw his opponent’s attention away from the rear hand and set up his straight left. This jab works in company with McGregor’s hand-fighting, as he will draw the opponent’s lead arm wide by extending his own, before drawing his forearm back and snapping it out inside his opponent’s lead hand. It isn’t a hurting jab, but its primary purpose is distraction and setup.

One the jab has been established as a threat, McGregor begins feinting it actively. Forcing the opponent to evaluate whether any twitch of the lead shoulder precedes a committed jab adds another layer of concealment onto his rear hand. The feints also allow McGregor to close distance while his opponent is distracted, sneaking his lead foot closer in order to put them right in line with his rear hand.

https://gfycat.com/fantasticaptbear

McGregor throws a quick jab, which prompts Eddie Alvarez to fold over his rear hip to avoid it. A slight twitch of the lead shoulder and raise of the lead hand convinces Alvarez another jab is on its way, prompting him to over-commit his weight onto his lead hip, which leaves him wide open for the straight.

Note also how McGregor closes distance off the feints. As he throws the first jab, his rear leg sneaks up slightly, which allows him to step the lead leg forward without getting too wide in his stance. The second feint is accompanied by a deep step with the lead leg which takes McGregor directly into the punching range of Alvarez, who is too worried about McGregor’s offense to land any of his own.

Continued here...

I have a Khabib breakdown coming out in a few days, but I'll post it in the grappling forum because, you know, he's a grappler.

Something's wrong, what's a post that is not filled with useless internet pep talk doing in standing forums?

Great work as always Ryan.

I only recently noticed how good McGregor is at stepping in with his feet while he's punching, as a way to close the distance. He does tend to overextend which he has paid for a few times, so I often took it more as he was stumbling a bit. Same with when he lets his opponents have the outside angle and then pivots and throws the straight while his feet comes off the ground. It looks sloppy, but there is definitely a method to the madness.

Love the way he faked the straight before moving to the outside and throwing the lead uppercut + straight left, in the Holloway gif. He can get really good reactions with his rear hand because everyone fears that straight.

Brilliant work man. Dare I say perhaps the best piece ever written on McGregors game? Certainly the most comprehensive I've read. You summarized his game perfectly. Variety in the left, the setups, the paradoxical nature of his distance managing as an aggressive counter puncher, his kicks, hand traps, bouncing, rhythm, everything. I learned some stuff too!

One thing I gotta ask though, do you really think he has good lateral movement? I feel like he CAN move laterally and pivot, but it always seems like he has to use a lot of energy and it's very forced. As soon as he has to take bigger angles he seems to faulter a bit imo. His linear movement however seems effortless most of the time. You touched on it a little with the Diaz fight, maybe you can elaborate your thoughts?

I also feel like if only he had an educated inside game and was more comfortable in that range he would pretty much be unstoppable on the feet. He does so many things well already.

Last thing, how do you see the fight going? If Khabib pressures constantly and goes to the body on entries to avoid the counters, and if McGregor can't keep his hips away and is pressed against the cage, do you think he can handfight with Khabib before getting tossed? Tought fight for McGregor if Khabib isn't stopped or hurt a few times. Will be interesting to see if the kicks straight down the line, especially to the lead knee, can stop Khabibs forward momentum.

PS: Long read, but worth it.

Great work as always Ryan.

I only recently noticed how good McGregor is at stepping in with his feet while he's punching, as a way to close the distance. He does tend to overextend which he has paid for a few times, so I often took it more as he was stumbling a bit. Same with when he lets his opponents have the outside angle and then pivots and throws the straight while his feet comes off the ground. It looks sloppy, but there is definitely a method to the madness.

Love the way he faked the straight before moving to the outside and throwing the lead uppercut + straight left, in the Holloway gif. He can get really good reactions with his rear hand because everyone fears that straight.

Brilliant work man. Dare I say perhaps the best piece ever written on McGregors game? Certainly the most comprehensive I've read. You summarized his game perfectly. Variety in the left, the setups, the paradoxical nature of his distance managing as an aggressive counter puncher, his kicks, hand traps, bouncing, rhythm, everything. I learned some stuff too!

One thing I gotta ask though, do you really think he has good lateral movement? I feel like he CAN move laterally and pivot, but it always seems like he has to use a lot of energy and it's very forced. As soon as he has to take bigger angles he seems to faulter a bit imo. His linear movement however seems effortless most of the time. You touched on it a little with the Diaz fight, maybe you can elaborate your thoughts?

I also feel like if only he had an educated inside game and was more comfortable in that range he would pretty much be unstoppable on the feet. He does so many things well already.

Last thing, how do you see the fight going? If Khabib pressures constantly and goes to the body on entries to avoid the counters, and if McGregor can't keep his hips away and is pressed against the cage, do you think he can handfight with Khabib before getting tossed? Tought fight for McGregor if Khabib isn't stopped or hurt a few times. Will be interesting to see if the kicks straight down the line, especially to the lead knee, can stop Khabibs forward momentum.

PS: Long read, but worth it.

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it, and great observations.

There's a clip I made of the Mendes fight - I can't remember if I put it in the article, but he backs him up with a front kick, advances, then over-extends on a straight, but he fills the space by hop-stepping forward directly off it as Mendes backs up, immediately filling the space Mendes created. He's excellent at using those hop-steps to close distance just as he uses them to counter, and if his opponents aren't there to step in and counter it right away and instead back up, he can immediately resume pressuring.

The way I'd characterize his lateral movement is that he's good at moving around his opponents, not very good at moving around the cage. He only really had to show it much in the second Diaz fight because his opponents usually can't put any sustained pressure on him, but he did a really good job taking slight angles and turning Diaz into punches when he would throw up a high guard and pressure. His footwork suffers a lot when opponents take away his space and put him near the cage though. He lacks typical tactics to get off the cage we see from a lot of high level outfighters, such as squaring the stance, closing distance/clinching to reduce the distance they have to cover to pivot out, and like you said he doesn't take deep pivots well. I think it's partly a control thing - he still has the initiative when he's moving around in open space, but he feels pressure and his composure breaks down somewhat when he's stuck on the cage.

I lean very slightly toward McGregor, because I think Khabib will have a tougher time hitting his win conditions than McGregor. He basically needs to stick Conor on the fence to win. There's a chance he can take him down with a low-single from 10 feet away, but I don't think it's very likely. Khabib's pressure game is really limited, and the biggest limitation is that backing up is the only really reliable way he defends punches, especially against southpaws. I think McGregor can probably keep Khabib on the back-foot and I don't think Khabib can hit reactive takedowns on him like Mendes did. It seems unlikely that Conor will be able to keep himself off the fence for the whole fight though, and there's a good chance Khabib can create a messy exchange and push him there, or just shoot and drive him to the fence. Khabib is also really bad off the back-foot and if he gets stuck on the cage consistently (which will likely happen if he can't force Conor back), there's a good chance Conor picks him apart and finishes early.

That's one of the things that makes this fight so interesting for me. Imo, each guy needs to demonstrate concrete improvements to have a reliable chance at winning. Conor needs to be better in his grip-fighting along the cage, prevent Khabib from locking his hands together, and force the single. Khabib needs to tighten up his pressure and entries.

Khabib is taller than mcgregor, the only reason he won against mendes is the reach advantage. I don't know how much mcgregor's wrestling has evolved but he couldn't take khabib when he took on mendes.

this fight is funny cause we all know what the other is gonna do so no need to even talk about what the other is gonna do khabib is either gonna sit back at first be safe and wait for conor to throw a kick or commit then dive in or hes gonna come forward with pressure pushing conor to the cage to get him down conors gonna either be smart try to poke with his lead legs and counter with his straight left or hes gonna run in throwing due to his ego

this fight is funny cause we all know what the other is gonna do so no need to even talk about what the other is gonna do khabib is either gonna sit back at first be safe and wait for conor to throw a kick or commit then dive in or hes gonna come forward with pressure pushing conor to the cage to get him down conors gonna either be smart try to poke with his lead legs and counter with his straight left or hes gonna run in throwing due to his ego

I think Conor should consider poking his eyes lots. I'm not even kidding about that.

Khabib is not going to be stopped by eye pokes, he has waited for this chance for many years. Mcgregor is working on his wrestling , that's what he said in the interview, he can pummel out and keep the striking range , khabib is only 3cm taller than him.

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it, and great observations.

There's a clip I made of the Mendes fight - I can't remember if I put it in the article, but he backs him up with a front kick, advances, then over-extends on a straight, but he fills the space by hop-stepping forward directly off it as Mendes backs up, immediately filling the space Mendes created. He's excellent at using those hop-steps to close distance just as he uses them to counter, and if his opponents aren't there to step in and counter it right away and instead back up, he can immediately resume pressuring.

The way I'd characterize his lateral movement is that he's good at moving around his opponents, not very good at moving around the cage. He only really had to show it much in the second Diaz fight because his opponents usually can't put any sustained pressure on him, but he did a really good job taking slight angles and turning Diaz into punches when he would throw up a high guard and pressure. His footwork suffers a lot when opponents take away his space and put him near the cage though. He lacks typical tactics to get off the cage we see from a lot of high level outfighters, such as squaring the stance, closing distance/clinching to reduce the distance they have to cover to pivot out, and like you said he doesn't take deep pivots well. I think it's partly a control thing - he still has the initiative when he's moving around in open space, but he feels pressure and his composure breaks down somewhat when he's stuck on the cage.

I lean very slightly toward McGregor, because I think Khabib will have a tougher time hitting his win conditions than McGregor. He basically needs to stick Conor on the fence to win. There's a chance he can take him down with a low-single from 10 feet away, but I don't think it's very likely. Khabib's pressure game is really limited, and the biggest limitation is that backing up is the only really reliable way he defends punches, especially against southpaws. I think McGregor can probably keep Khabib on the back-foot and I don't think Khabib can hit reactive takedowns on him like Mendes did. It seems unlikely that Conor will be able to keep himself off the fence for the whole fight though, and there's a good chance Khabib can create a messy exchange and push him there, or just shoot and drive him to the fence. Khabib is also really bad off the back-foot and if he gets stuck on the cage consistently (which will likely happen if he can't force Conor back), there's a good chance Conor picks him apart and finishes early.

That's one of the things that makes this fight so interesting for me. Imo, each guy needs to demonstrate concrete improvements to have a reliable chance at winning. Conor needs to be better in his grip-fighting along the cage, prevent Khabib from locking his hands together, and force the single. Khabib needs to tighten up his pressure and entries.
Yeah smothering distance and using the inside to turn and control his opponent is something Conor really isn't that good at when he's being pressured. I think you have a good point about it being a mental thing as well. He is no doubt much more comfortable when he can control the action, that's his game.

Interesting observations. It's not as simple as that as anything can happen, but maybe the one who manages to keep the other on the backfoot for longest wins the fight. Btw, this is highly unlikely, but if Khabib manages to hurt Conor on the feet that would be insane. Conor does get tagged and against Mendes he was tagged solid a few times when Mendes feinted the takedown and went upstair. Khabibs best punch is fake takedown and eagle punch, so however highly unlikely, that would be nuts.

I'm rooting for Conor, but it's going to be a tough one.

conor doesnt do as well when he fights guys his height or taller conor always has a size advantage and likes t make guys rush at him then counter conor doesnt do near as well coming forward

conors wrestling isnt very good at all tbh hes wrestling with bjj guys in his gym and random irish guys who only know very basic single and double legs if khabib gets his hand son conor i think he will end it in the first round if khabib has at least 3 minutes to work idnot be surprised guys like barbosa and Michael johnson who have great tdd got completely wrestle fucked imagine a guy like conor who doesnt have good tdd.

i think khabib will break his spirit with his gnp and conor gets tired and folds when things dont go his way i think only way conor wins this if he gets that lucky 1 shot and hurts khabib and put shim away conor loses all his power after round 2 also in the floyd fight in round 3 he lost all the snap in his punches if u watched

Yeah smothering distance and using the inside to turn and control his opponent is something Conor really isn't that good at when he's being pressured. I think you have a good point about it being a mental thing as well. He is no doubt much more comfortable when he can control the action, that's his game.

Interesting observations. It's not as simple as that as anything can happen, but maybe the one who manages to keep the other on the backfoot for longest wins the fight. Btw, this is highly unlikely, but if Khabib manages to hurt Conor on the feet that would be insane. Conor does get tagged and against Mendes he was tagged solid a few times when Mendes feinted the takedown and went upstair. Khabibs best punch is fake takedown and eagle punch, so however highly unlikely, that would be nuts.

I'm rooting for Conor, but it's going to be a tough one.

Feinting the takedown and coming up into the clinch or to the head with strikes would definitely be a great tactic for Khabib, especially given how McGregor will extend his hands to frame off when guys shoot on him.

I didn't have a dog in this race before today, but someone pointed out to me that Conor had cupping marks on his shoulders in the embedded promo, so now I kinda hope Khabib knocks him out with a leaping ridge hand/monkey uppercut

Feinting the takedown and coming up into the clinch or to the head with strikes would definitely be a great tactic for Khabib, especially given how McGregor will extend his hands to frame off when guys shoot on him.

I didn't have a dog in this race before today, but someone pointed out to me that Conor had cupping marks on his shoulders in the embedded promo, so now I kinda hope Khabib knocks him out with a leaping ridge hand/monkey uppercut
Lol, cupping too psuedoscientific for you?

I just dont see how Conor wins this. Khabib is not going to stay up and trade punches to get countered. Sure he will eat a punch or two or a kick or two, but I doubt Khabib gets knocked out. Then we all know what Khabib does when he takes people down.

October 6th marks perhaps the most important date in the past few years of Mixed Martial Arts. Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov, the two kings of the UFC‘s most talent-rich division, will finally meet inside the Octagon.

Once every so often, a fight comes along that seems to define a generation. McGregor and Nurmagomedov have been on opposite ends of the build-up for several years, and the result seems destined to be a performance that transcends the sport itself. The undefeated whirling-dervish of takedowns and ground and pound meets perhaps the slickest boxer the sport has ever seen. Their meeting will crown the king of MMA’s strongest division. In light of the position both fighters inhabit, the title on the line is almost of secondary interest, taking a back seat to the question of legacy.

For McGregor, this fight represents his first opportunity to solidify his claim to lightweight dominance by mounting a title defense (even if it is only the lineal title) after being quickly foisted into a title shot against Eddie Alvarez two years ago.

Nurmagomedov, on the other hand, had been unduly kept out of the title picture for years due to poor timing and injury woes, before having the title thrust upon him in a win over the somehow-top-15-ranked Al Iaquinta, once again unduly. For Khabib, the fight represents his first shot at a truly legitimate title.

McGregor versus Nurmagomedov may well be that generation-defining fight. The winner may well be that generation-defining athlete.

In this series, I will examine the respective skill sets of McGregor and Nurmagomedov, and finally, the match-up itself.

Conor McGregor has quickly become the hottest commodity in combat sports. After winning the lightweight title over Alvarez in 2016, McGregor held the belt hostage while campaigning for a Floyd Mayweather payday. The question of whether or not he would compete again in MMA was left up in the air.

Now, two years after he first captured the lightweight title, McGregor makes his long-awaited return to the Octagon.

In it’s simplest form, McGregor’s game is that of an aggressive counter-puncher. While fighters who primarily deliver their offense through counters often struggle to encourage their opponents to take the kind of actions they need to react to, McGregor’s pressure serves to draw the reactions he wants.

McGregor tends to come right out of the gate aggressive, eating up space and pushing his opponent toward the cage. If they concede enough ground, McGregor is happy to step in and blast them with their back to the cage, but most opponents will lash out to regain ground before running themselves onto the cage. It is precisely this reaction that McGregor wants, and his best work is done on the counter as his opponent lashes out.

His pressure also serves to tilt engagements in his favor. With his opponent nearing the fence and McGregor’s back to the Octagon, he has all the space available. McGregor can freely give ground and make his opponent miss, while his opponent remains trapped along the cage. The knowledge of this inequality is constantly bearing on the mind of a fighter experiencing pressure, and many strike out in desperation without thoughtful setup in order to hurriedly regain the ground they are losing. This too works in McGregor’s favor, as desperate reactions make opponents all the more vulnerable to his counters.

The Left Hand
McGregor is famous for a left hand as versatile as it is accurate and powerful. His ancillary skills serve to funnel opponents into the left straight, while the punch itself acts as a delivery system through which McGregor leverages positional advantages. McGregor possesses one of the more versatile rear hands in the sport, effective as both a lead and a counter. While he typically favors long-range straight punches, McGregor will close distance and land the rear hand as a short hook behind the ear when facing fellow southpaws.

The inside-angle straight has been covered extensively: McGregor will often concede outside foot position, allowing his opponent to gain what is somewhat dogmatically considered an advantageous position.

Once his opponent has stepped outside and thrown their rear hand, McGregor will take a short hop-step back or slip outside the punch and pivot to face their center-line. This gives McGregor a truly dominant angle, allowing him to face his opponent while they face away from him. The ensuing counter straight splits the opponent’s stance, distributing its force across the plain of his body. Because the stance is set up to deal with an opponent you are directly facing, a punch coming from the side will deal more damage, as it leaves you without a firmly planted rear leg with which to cushion the impact.

Another application of the inside-angle straight is as a lead while the opponent circles outside the lead foot. McGregor’s opponents will often seek to avoid the left hand by circling away from it. When they are well outside the lead foot and moving away from the power hand, they will often let their guard down, believing their positioning keeps them safe.

McGregor needs only track their movement with his lead foot in order to adjust the targeting on his straight. A slightly exaggerated pivot on the ball of his rear foot with the punch adjusts his hips, lining them up with his target.

Although the inside angle allows one to square opponents up and catch them unaware, outside foot position shortens the distance on the rear hand, making it quicker and easier to land. McGregor mixes up his footwork, stepping inside and outside the lead foot as necessary.

McGregor will often use a leaping lead uppercut to close distance and plant his foot outside his opponent’s stance, setting up the straight left. There’s an added element of concealment to his uppercut, as it uses the same preliminary motion as his straight. To set the uppercut up, he’ll fold over his lead hip as if he’s throwing the left. Here Holloway reacts to the threat of the left and widens his guard, opening up the uppercut down the middle.

When McGregor sets his straight up with the lead hand or takes a dominant angle, he’ll commit to it fully, pivoting on the ball of the rear foot and sinking his hips down into the punch. When he leads directly with the straight on an opponent standing in front of him, however, McGregor adjusts his punching form to afford him additional speed and concealment.

McGregor shortens up his straight, sacrificing power for blistering speed. Part of the delivery is completed before the straight is thrown – McGregor’s weight is on the lead leg, the ball of his foot is planted into the ground with his heel up, and his hips are already slightly turned. All that’s left is to push off the ball of the rear foot and rotate the trunk through.

Because the front foot bears weight before the punch, there is very little weight transfer involved. The punch is delivered with a spring off the rear foot rather than a sinking of the hips, which again increases speed while reducing power.

This tactic of shortening up the straight by completing part of its delivery in advance is favored by many boxing greats, such as Roy Jones Jr. and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Landing the Straight
Everyone knows that McGregor’s typical game revolves around landing his straight left. While such a tightly focused A-game may seem to impose a constraint on McGregor’s ability, he possesses an incredibly deep arsenal of tactics to create engagements which make the straight left viable.

McGregor’s jab has traditionally been somewhat of an afterthought in his game, but it serves its primary purpose of setting up his rear hand well.

https://gfycat.com/tepidsharpamericanrobin

McGregor uses a quick, back-handed jab to draw his opponent’s attention away from the rear hand and set up his straight left. This jab works in company with McGregor’s hand-fighting, as he will draw the opponent’s lead arm wide by extending his own, before drawing his forearm back and snapping it out inside his opponent’s lead hand. It isn’t a hurting jab, but its primary purpose is distraction and setup.

One the jab has been established as a threat, McGregor begins feinting it actively. Forcing the opponent to evaluate whether any twitch of the lead shoulder precedes a committed jab adds another layer of concealment onto his rear hand. The feints also allow McGregor to close distance while his opponent is distracted, sneaking his lead foot closer in order to put them right in line with his rear hand.

https://gfycat.com/fantasticaptbear

McGregor throws a quick jab, which prompts Eddie Alvarez to fold over his rear hip to avoid it. A slight twitch of the lead shoulder and raise of the lead hand convinces Alvarez another jab is on its way, prompting him to over-commit his weight onto his lead hip, which leaves him wide open for the straight.

Note also how McGregor closes distance off the feints. As he throws the first jab, his rear leg sneaks up slightly, which allows him to step the lead leg forward without getting too wide in his stance. The second feint is accompanied by a deep step with the lead leg which takes McGregor directly into the punching range of Alvarez, who is too worried about McGregor’s offense to land any of his own.

Continued here...

I have a Khabib breakdown coming out in a few days, but I'll post it in the grappling forum because, you know, he's a grappler.

Too many God damn words.
<codychoke>

Back