Media Portrayal of Union Troops

Yes and no. The southern parts of WV wanted to go with the south, it was the northern counties that wanted to stay in the union.

Basically union troop locations made the boundary between southern WV and southwest VA.

Stonewall Jackson was even from present day WV.
So much history in Harpers Ferry too. I bet WV was somewhat like Kansas and Nebraska before the war. Or even Kentucky and Missouri.

WV certainly seems Southern.

the american industrial revolution happened before the civil war, it is a big part of why the south lost. industrialiation is why the USA became such a power.
where did a significant amount of those raw materials come from?

You realize that there was very little slavery in the western portion of VA?

That's not to say that there weren't slaves in the area, but it wasn't common.

Edit: And Lee didn't own slaves.
And do YOU realize that most institute alumni were from central and eastern Virginia and the children of prosperous land owners?

I read General Grant's autobiography recently. He certainly had a very poor opinion of northern journalists.

And do YOU realize that most institute alumni were from central and eastern Virginia and the children of prosperous land owners?

I certainly do realize that; it doesn't negate your broad-brush statement about Virginians:

Virginians in general and the military caste in particular were ardent white supremecist and pro-slavery
Virginia debated ending slavery in the 1830s - it was narrowly defeated. Oh, and most of those taking part in the debate were the sons of (and were themselves) wealthy land owners.

Back