Megadeth. The thread.

Endgame...
Dialectic Chaos is a great acoustic classical style piece that moves on into the metal section nicely and the picking techniques on display are a clinic. Going into This Day We Fight!, another balls out song.

Speaking of which, 1320. And Bodies.
"And all along the road, all the bodies left behind... they all have been good friends, just not good friends of mine."

Head Crusher, bang your head. Same with How the Story Ends and The Right to Go Insane.

Thirteen.

Public Enemy No. 1, great triplets, good chugging riff.

Fast Lane, Whose Life is it, Anyways? are two more rockers.

I'm a fan. Both as a listener and a guitar player. I've basically modeled my metal rhythm playing after Dave Mustaine's. I saw him early on doing a guitar clinic, where he demonstrated the "boring way" to play metal chords, and the exciting way.
His flair adds a lot. But that was speed metal redefining the genre: kick it up 20-30 bpm, use open string down picking to drive the rhythm.

Here ITT we gonna talk Deth, related acts, the history of metal, and all that.

I'm also gonna put up a list of Megadeth songs ya gotta get, a just- trust- me-and- get-em list of rocking songs.

First two, just obtain the records Rust in Peace and Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?

Now... alphabetically. Add or argue!

The #'s and A's:

1320, 99 Ways to Die, Addicted to Chaos, Angry Again, Architecture of Aggression, Ashes in your Mouth.

And the B's:
Back in the Day, Bad Omen, Bite the Hand, Blood of Heroes, Bodies, Breakpoint, Built for War, Bullet to the Brain, Burnt Ice.

This should be a fun thread and I want to turn some metal heads on to some great songs.
Pretty sure it’s called Megadeath though.

Took a huge shit after the first 4 records.

RUST IN PEACE is an all time favorite though. I don't listen to their other stuff that much,but I like So Far So good So what

He obviously had some good riffs in him after those 4 albums,but the songs are all stripped down to their bare ass,injected with radio friendly tendencies.

Killing is my Business is one of my favorite albums of all time. Mustaine's way of playing guitar essentially defined thrash metal when he was in Metallica and Panic. Endgame and Dystopia were both excellent returns to form.
I mean tell me that this wouldn't fit on their earlier albums...

Also the rawest fastest performance I've ever seen.

Also the rawest fastest performance I've ever seen.

Great set there with Kerry King during his short stint in the band. I love Killing Is My Business, some great riffs on there but my favorite album would be Peace Sells - hell, those first four albums are classics...So Far, So Good, So What is one I listen to a lot these days with Set The World Afire, Mary Jane, Hook In Mouth...that was the first tour I saw them on, opening for Dio. Definitely one of my favorite bands of all-time.

Oh yeah - Mustaine's autobiography is a great read, too - there are some classic stories in there.

I thought the thread had died.
Kinda glad it still lives.
I hadn't finished my list.

Alright, so Megadeth opened for the Scorpions last night. The crowd seemed definitely more interested in Scorpions though, and I think Big Dave realized that because he really didn't interact much with the crowd, which seemed to put a damper on things. They played only 11 songs and barely an hour, which seemed short; I felt a little short changed by that. But still it was great to finally see a Big 4 band live. Kiko played the Poland/Friedman solos very well. The guitars were tuned down to Eb, in what I think is an effort to preserve Dave's voice. One cool bit was that the people we sat with seemed to know Take No Prisoners pretty well, so we were yelling out the " ___ them!" parts, as well as "Take no shit!". Sweating Bullets and Symphony of Destruction also got a good strong reaction from the crowd.

Here's the set-list:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/megadeth/2017/the-forum-inglewood-ca-73e392fd.html

I should mention the Scorpions. I really didn't know much about them beyond, "Rock you like a Hurricane", but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The drummer looked familiar and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. At one point the singer started talking about doing a tribute to their good friend Lemmy (it was hard to understand), and then they bust into a cover of "Overkill". Then it hit me; the drummer is Mikkey D from Motorhead. He killed it on the drums.

Alright, so Megadeth opened for the Scorpions last night. The crowd seemed definitely more interested in Scorpions though, and I think Big Dave realized that because he really didn't interact much with the crowd, which seemed to put a damper on things. They played only 11 songs and barely an hour, which seemed short; I felt a little short changed by that. But still it was great to finally see a Big 4 band live. Kiko played the Poland/Friedman solos very well. The guitars were tuned down to Eb, in what I think is an effort to preserve Dave's voice. One cool bit was that the people we sat with seemed to know Take No Prisoners pretty well, so we were yelling out the " ___ them!" parts, as well as "Take no shit!". Sweating Bullets and Symphony of Destruction also got a good strong reaction from the crowd.

Here's the set-list:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/megadeth/2017/the-forum-inglewood-ca-73e392fd.html

I should mention the Scorpions. I really didn't know much about them beyond, "Rock you like a Hurricane", but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The drummer looked familiar and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. At one point the singer started talking about doing a tribute to their good friend Lemmy (it was hard to understand), and then they bust into a cover of "Overkill". Then it hit me; the drummer is Mikkey D from Motorhead. He killed it on the drums.
Great report!
I suspect you're right about the tuning to keep it easier on Dave's voice.

I used to love the Scorps. Matthias Jabs was one of those players that got me into metal guitar.

I loved the album World Wide Live, back in the day.
I recently listened to it again and don't know how I tolerated that crowd- forward mix, it's awful! The audience can be heard screaming through EVERY song.

Countdown to Extinction is my fav Megadeath album. My cousin and I played the shit out of it when we were in high school. Lots of great tracks on that album.

I recently got back into them after I found my set of the 2004 remastered cds from them a few months ago, like two days after my 30th birthday.

I dont have anything past the System has failed, which I got day 1 in HS. Still an awesome album.

I think I gave up on them after Hidden Treasures.

"Go to Hell" on that album has one of my favorite solos, though.

I saw them with Slayer and Machine head in . . . 2008 I believe. Maybe it was spring 2009. Good concert.

Hey TS you forgot one of their best songs that start with A... A Tout Le Monde.... shame on you.

Hey TS you forgot one of their best songs that start with A... A Tout Le Monde.... shame on you.
I didn't forget it, I think I specifically stated that I don't care for it.

It just never picks up for me, it's a buzz kill of a song to me.

If we're talking Youthanasia, The Killing Road has a sick riff and solo.

Victory is also a pretty bad ass tune with lyrics that summarize virtually every song they had composed up until then.

Last edited:
Back